MRP / Trib. 2024 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_0511.jpeg

GSFxviWaUAQcVGv

The fact Heeney got a week and Greene got off is ridiculous. And there's no way Rankine deserves 4 weeks
Totally agree about Heeney as he was being hung onto by Webster and made more of a backhanded chopping action than actually trying to wack him imo and Rankine got done supposedly because the bump was high, but he bumped him flush on the ribs and their heads must have connected in the process, but a week should have been enough as he didn`t actually bump him in the head like good old Christian made out in his summary.

I thought 3 weeks was the usual heaviest punishment, so where has 4 weeks turned up from all of a sudden? or has the AFL changed another rule on the run?!! I actually feel that if the umps don`t start penalising the Saints players (they are not alone doing that I know) that are cheating by hanging onto opposition players off the ball then more players are going to get reported because they are getting frustrated with the tactic.

When the Saints played G.C. Windhager was actually wrapping his arms around Touk Miller off the ball and brought him to the ground, and that is a free and the umps should have jumped on it straight away as they need to defuse that sort of action. I know every team does things to put an opposition star off his game, but when it leads to a suspension it has gone too far imo.

That "Ross the boss" tactic may have just cost Heeney the Brownlow and the umps should have free kicked Webster for holding before Heeney even did that in my book. St Kilda received a very soft free to King for supposedly being held late in the G.C. game and they won because of it, so where is the consistency AFL/Umps???!!!

What I find staggering is:

1. Greene has been lauded by the media for his comments to the umpire along the lines of ‘who gives a $#& if his injured’, even though he was the cause by an illegal punch. Can anyone image a Carlton player say Boyd (for a lesser name with such an action)?
2. The umpire stopped play but didn’t even pay a free kick for the contact. Usually they even pay those down field. Just astonishing yet they aren’t bias we are told!

Totally agree about Heeney as he was being hung onto by Webster and made more of a backhanded chopping action than actually trying to wack him imo and Rankine got done supposedly because the bump was high, but he bumped him flush on the ribs and their heads must have connected in the process, but a week should have been enough as he didn`t actually bump him in the head like good old Christian made out in his summary. I thought 3 weeks was the usual heaviest punishment, so where has 4 weeks turned up from all of a sudden? or has the AFL changed another rule on the run?!! I actually feel that if the umps don`t start penalising the Saints players (they are not alone doing that I know) that are cheating by hanging onto opposition players off the ball then more players are going to get reported because they are getting frustrated with the tactic. When the Saints played G.C. Windhager was actually wrapping his arms around Touk Miller off the ball and brought him to the ground, and that is a free and the umps should have jumped on it straight away as they need to defuse that sort of action. I know every team does things to put an opposition star off his game, but when it leads to a suspension it has gone too far imo. That "Ross the boss" tactic may have just cost Heeney the Brownlow and the umps should have free kicked Webster for holding before Heeney even did that in my book. St Kilda received a very soft free to King for supposedly being held late in the G.C. game and they won because of it, so where is the consistency AFL/Umps???!!!

I’ve got zero issue with what Rankine got, absolute cheap shot outside of game time at a stoppage and off the ball.
Yeah, he didn’t mean to hit him in the head but he did, so Starcevich has effectively missed 2 games.
That’s the shit that has no place in the game, and he deserves absolutely everything of that 4 week holiday.

I now reckon Heeney will get off after watching the footy shows last night. The wording of the rule is designed for these accidents, considering he’s a big Brownlow favourite they’ll use the word “usually” to find a loop hole

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

o_O

R14, 2021: Handed a $2000 fine for a 'tummy tap' to the midriff of Carlton defender Nic Newman, after striking him in an off-the-ball incident.

R6, 2024: After going almost three years without a Match Review charge, he copped a one-match ban for a late bump on Carlton's Jordan Boyd. He fought the decision at the Tribunal, but was unsuccessful

R17, 2024: Equalled the V/AFL record for his 25th charge, having been fined $3750 for his late whack to the midriff of Brodie Kemp just after the Carlton defender had kicked the ball clear.

Rankine: fair enough - aligns with penalty handed to Parker. This was further off the ball but injuries weren't as severe.

Heeney: could see it going either way, intent was to break a hold but still clipped Webster high.

Greene: no issue with a fine.

Rankine: fair enough - aligns with penalty handed to Parker. This was further off the ball but injuries weren't as severe.

Heeney: could see it going either way, intent was to break a hold but still clipped Webster high.

Greene: no issue with a fine.
The issue I have with Greene is that he is a repeat offender. Maybe it should be a fine for first offence of gut punches, then 1 week next time, and 2 weeks for each offence after that. And the following is said tongue in cheek, but next time we play GWS someone different should gut punch Greene in each quarter to make the point and then say "Who gives an f... if you're injured."

The issue I have with Greene is that he is a repeat offender. Maybe it should be a fine for first offence of gut punches, then 1 week next time, and 2 weeks for each offence after that. And the following is said tongue in cheek, but next time we play GWS someone different should gut punch Greene in each quarter to make the point and then say "Who gives an f... if you're injured."
I get that mate, he deliberately operates in the grey area which can obviously frustrate fans.
In my local comp they tend to pay down the field frees for these sorts of things, if you start conceding goals as a result of it, the niggly rubbish dries up pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting how the Heeney one has divided people.
I'm at the opposite end. I think he's been lucky for it to be graded low impact. He should be looking at 2 weeks and fighting to get 1.
The rules might say that this type of incident will usually be graded intentional, which obviously gives some wriggle room for appealing the intentional grading, but it also says that consideration will be given to the potential to cause injury, particularly in cases of:
- swinging clenched fists (this fits that)
- contact that occurs when a player would not be reasonably expecting or prepared for contact; ie. contact off the ball (this fits that)
And consideration will be given to the distance the incident happens off the ball.

So it was a swinging arm strike, some distance off the ball, that wouldn't reasonably be expected, that got him in the face and left him with a bloody nose, with the potential for concussion or a broken nose.
It just seems to hit all the marks for intentional, medium impact, high contact.

It's interesting that if they'd originally graded it as careless, medium and high (also 1 week), there'd be little chance of him contesting it down to low impact, but if they start at low impact but intentional, there's a chance to downgrade it to careless.
Won't happen, but if he gets off with a fine, the AFL should appeal and say that the grading is too low for a whack to the face that causes a blood nose and has the potential to cause injury.

Interesting this from our Magoos on Saturday

The incident in question took place in the third term of Saturday's game between the two sides at Blacktown International Sportspark, with Keeffe seen to have made intentional contact to the body of Blues youngster Jaxon Binns through a strike.

The league's MRP has graded Keeffe's actions as intentional conduct, low impact and body contact, with a one-game suspension offered to the 34-year-old.

Not sure this is different to Grub Greenes indiscretion yet no suspension ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm about done with the Heeney incident, as I expect him to get it downgraded to a fine, so I'm just going to move on from it, but it's interesting how similar the action is to Houli's in 2017.

While that's too long ago to be used as any kind of precedent, it's interesting to see how that was initially handed a 2 week suspension and the AFL appealed that to get 4 weeks.

Obviously the outcome is the biggest difference, with a concussion vs a blood nose, but my main reason for mentioning it, is the potential for injury.

The Houli incident shows what could've happened to Webster with that backwards arm swing action. It's very dangerous and not how you get separation from an opponent.

I don't think Heeney is a dirty player and I think it was just an accident and poor technique, but he knew immediately that he'd ****ed up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back