Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We thought the same about Magoo too.

As Boom Crash Opera once said.. these here are crazy times..
true, but I reckon there's a substantial difference in player type - KPD gorillas don't grow on trees (no pun intended), whereas Cam is a med forward with no proven impact from his admittedly infrequent visits into the middle.

As for crazy times, they are indeed, but if Zurhaar gets a million a year, despite my preference to keep him, I would say we bow out - of all the positions on the ground, med forward is probably the one we have most depth in (and that's without Sheezel going forward)

I typically just post the F/S and academy kids to their club boards, but this was a BOG performance by Levi so some of you might be interested:

Levi won the possession count again for the Academy in game two and was named best on ground for his performance. Matched up against the mature Footscray mids he was tough and strong in both the stoppages and general contested situations around the ground showing that he's more than just an outside accumulator.

Absolutely not.

The potential #1 pick of 2025 has similar wraps to Harley Reid did as a 16 year old.

Im expecting him to have a similar impact as an underage player at the Champs in a month or so.

The other top pick for that year is Willem Duursma, who is basically a CHB version of Zane at this early stage, who is probably even more athletic given his exploits in track and field at the state level.

He's already 192cm and an elite high jumper. So may be genuine KPP size.

Willem is not probably more athletic than Zane, he’s got him covered by a long way.

If I was Willem I’d be going down the College Basketball path, but he has his heart set on footy.

It's frustrating for supporters, but another wooden spoon, losing LDU, and picking up Dyson Sharp and Willem Duursma would be the best long-term outcome for our football club.

It'll take substantial amounts of losing to get there, but Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Z. Duursma, Smillie, W. Duursma, and Sharp is unreal.

We've already come so far, so we may as well put in another 16 months of pain and walk out with a generational group of young kids.

It's frustrating for supporters, but another wooden spoon, losing LDU, and picking up Dyson and Duursma would be the best long-term outcome for our football club.

It'll take substantial amounts of losing to get there, but Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Z. Duursma, Smillie, W. Duursma, and Sharp is unreal.

We've already come so far, so we may as well put in another 16 months of pain and walk out with a generational group of young kids.
Sheez, Kerch, Wardlaw aint putting up with two more years of this nonsense.

If there are no significant signs this time into next year, their managers will be on the phones.

Sheez, Kerch, Wardlaw aint putting up with two more years of this nonsense.

If there are no significant signs this time into next year, their managers will be on the phones.

Sheezel and Wardlaw are made of the right stuff. Especially Sheezel who already extended to 2029 and is the next captain of our club.

McKercher would never entertain leaving until Tasmania joins the competition in 2028, you get a decent window with him to turn things around.

Smillie to North is about as surer thing as there’s been in last few drafts. You think our drafting gets criticised now, just wait if we pass on him 🤣.

The club needs to get inventive in acquiring more picks in late first, early second to address our copious key position needs. The took Dawson last year who looks good, but I’ve seen this episode before with Rawlings. They take one speculative kid in a position of need and then set and forget the position for multiple drafts. If there’s a half decent key forward floating around mid first—early second, move heaven and earth to get a pick in that range (pretty much anything bar trading pick 1). Finish Smillie and 2-3 key position players.

Find energetic, gut running and physical small forwards in the state leagues. Our forward line has X-Factor (when the ball gets there). What it doesn’t have is guys that are unconditional. You don’t need high picks for these guys you need competent recruiting departments.
Key forwards take time, I reckon might be better targeting a young key forward stuck behind others at another club, had a couple of years development etc. Some have mentioned Gruzewski for example (personally think not big enough) but you get the picture.

Absolutely not.

The potential #1 pick of 2025 has similar wraps to Harley Reid did as a 16 year old.

Im expecting him to have a similar impact as an underage player at the Champs in a month or so.

The other top pick for that year is Willem Duursma, who is basically a CHB version of Zane at this early stage, who is probably even more athletic given his exploits in track and field at the state level.

He's already 192cm and an elite high jumper. So may be genuine KPP size.
My best mates Dad lives down near Foster and watches Willem play every week. Asked me how Zane was going and he said that the best Duursma is yet to come.

Willem is just so calm under pressure and clean. Would be nice to get the brothers and might help keep Zane in blue and white.

I don’t want Zurhaar to leave, but if he does I can’t see who’s going to pay a million a year for 5+ years to get to band 1

Good player with attributes - yes; marquee player? Don’t see it

If he is chasing near term success, not sure which current top end team would have the need and cap space to take him and still net us band 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We ain't getting more assistance, we already got it last year and that's likely it for us.
Focus on improving player development/fitness/strength and changing the losing culture/environment.
We'll get picks and/or players from the Zurhaar compo/trade situation and potentially could shop Phillips (sad).
Splitting the 1st or 2nd rounder, putting the F2 on the table to trade up or get another 2nd rounder this year.
I wouldn't trade the F1 this year as we're likely to be in a similar position next year.
We've got to assemble enough talent to compete with GC so it might bottom three for the next 2 years unfortunately.
Losing TT has hurt the level of talent. We don't have that Shai Bolton game breaker on our list.

We ain't getting more assistance, we already got it last year and that's likely it for us.
Focus on improving player development/fitness/strength and changing the losing culture/environment.
We'll get picks and/or players from the Zurhaar compo/trade situation and potentially could shop Phillips (sad).
Splitting the 1st or 2nd rounder, putting the F2 on the table to trade up or get another 2nd rounder this year.
I wouldn't trade the F1 this year as we're likely to be in a similar position next year.
We've got to assemble enough talent to compete with GC so it might bottom three for the next 2 years unfortunately.
Losing TT has hurt the level of talent. We don't have that Shai Bolton game breaker on our list.
The AFL effectively took him off us with that suspension (altho we kmay have sacked him immediately anyway.)

They owe us a player really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jagga followed up his solid performance in game one with an excellent outing here. Not overawed by the size of the more mature Footscray players, Jagga cracked in hard all game to win contests and provided some polish on the outside.

The AFL effectively took him off us with that suspension (altho we kmay have sacked him immediately anyway.)

They owe us a player really.
I think it's fair to say that we were probably very much in motion to move Tarryn on at the time the suspension was announced. I don't think we will rattle the cage too much in making a claim over this but if the AFL has it in mind to give us any sort of assistance this year, then perhaps they might invent some new sort of draft compensation for Force Majeure, or events beyond a club's control.

I think it's fair to say that we were probably very much in motion to move Tarryn on at the time the suspension was announced. I don't think we will rattle the cage too much in making a claim over this but if the AFL has it in mind to give us any sort of assistance this year, then perhaps they might invent some new sort of draft compensation for Force Majeure, or events beyond a club's control.
I like the idea of a Force Majeure.

AFL Rule 9699. A club will be compensated with a priority pick in the Mid Season Draft when they are forced to delist a player who is a majuere pain in the arse and has put the club through hell having invested so much in him and tried everything to aid his rehabilitation.

AFL Rule 9699. A club will be compensated with a priority pick in the Mid Season Draft when they are forced to delist a player who is a majuere pain in the arse and has put the club through hell having invested so much in him and tried everything to aid his rehabilitation.

"......this priority pick must be on-traded to one of the other 17 clubs though through the act of AFL rule 9700 - force equalisation. The league can decide which one of the NSW, QLD clubs or Geelong this can be "

Jobe lead the goalkicking for the AFL Academy on a tough day with limited opportunities. He competed well and applied strong tackling pressure, but will have better days marking the footy.

Jagga followed up his solid performance in game one with an excellent outing here. Not overawed by the size of the more mature Footscray players, Jagga cracked in hard all game to win contests and provided some polish on the outside.

Elite disposal. So balanced.

The problem with Force Majeure as a legal concept is that it usually requires an act of God to invoke and I don't think there was a whole lot of Godliness involved in the s**t Tarryn was up to. Notwithstanding the whole omnipresence thing.

The problem with Force Majeure as a legal concept is that it usually requires an act of God to invoke and I don't think there was a whole lot of Godliness involved in the s**t Tarryn was up to. Notwithstanding the whole omnipresence thing.
There were some similarities with what Gary Ablett got up to post-retirement, though.

Josh smilie actually look pretty good, powerhouse mid, 194 cm mid.

He's also vic metro so no go home factor.

Get him to our side

This was Sam's first game back after injury cost him the start of the season. He spent a lot of time on the bench, possibly on managed minutes, but he was involved enough to show his class and physicality. Lalor will certainly be one to watch as the season progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back