2024 Offseason Thread - Summer League

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowledgable posters of basketball.

I invite you to contribute and enjoy the basketball during and in the

2024 Paris Olympic Games basketball thread (XXXIII Olympiad)

Last edited by a moderator:
He had his second worst season for 3P %. His worst and second worst have both come in the last three seasons.

It's certainly a worry.

That's because Klay had never shot below 40% from 3 in a season before his injury. Which, for the record, is insane.

For those playing at home. Klay has shot 40% from 3 in the last 3 season. He's also made more 3s than any player not named Steph Curry since he returned from his injury.

He's down from his ridiculous standard, but it just brings him down to really really good shooter, instead of the 2nd greatest shooter of all time.

it's a worry but they upgraded THJ massively as he should be in China. Defensively they're going to struggle with Kyrie/Luka/Klay lineups but Klay will hit more open shots that DJJ/THJ did too
Why is it THJ. Its Josh Green he is replacing in the rotation.

Given they struggled on defense when the finals came around, I dont think getting rid of one of the better defenders to get more points will help much

Why?

We had nobody that can catch and shoot consistently in the entire roster. Big part of why we were smacked by Boston.

3 pt shooting was the biggest hole to fill.
How?

Mavs were 2nd in 3pt attempts and 3rd in 3pt makes for the season.

Mavs biggest hole is their defense, for the season they were ranked 18th in the league.

Klay is a good addition but doesn’t solve the mavs problems as he has dropped off on the defensive end due to injuries and age.

Given they struggled on defense when the finals came around, I dont think getting rid of one of the better defenders to get more points will help much
I think next season Klay is an upgrade on Green too. Green really wasnt very good, especially come playoffs. Beyond next season who knows, almost certain Green will be better but Mavs are in it for next year not further development.

I think next season Klay is an upgrade on Green too. Green really wasnt very good, especially come playoffs. Beyond next season who knows, almost certain Green will be better but Mavs are in it for next year not further development.
Better on offense yes, better on defense no.

I think Mavs improve more or less because they get a extra year with Lively, Marshall is a upgrade on Derrick Jones and PJ Washington can get a more defined role. Klay/Green will depend on a ton of things and dont think its as simple as everyone says it is

How?

Mavs were 2nd in 3pt attempts and 3rd in 3pt makes for the season.

Mavs biggest hole is their defense, for the season they were ranked 18th in the league.

Klay is a good addition but doesn’t solve the mavs problems as he has dropped off on the defensive end due to injuries and age.
Did you read the sentence above in my quote? We had no consistent player to catch and shoot 3s. DJJ and PJW, who were the receivers of kick outs most of the time shot about 26%. As a team we shot 31%. That's atrocious.

I believe Mavs were ranked 2nd in defence after the trade deadline (definitely at least top 5). Any stats from before then are worthless as the whole team construction changed with the additions of PJW and Gafford. We were a defensive juggernaut for the remainder of the season.

For the playoffs as a whole, we were ranked much better in defence than offence. When it came to the finals against the Celts, our defence was closer to it's usual mark than our offence which dropped dramatically.

The Finals may have shown some things up defensively but I think can be addressed pretty easily internally. Our shooting had no way to improve internally.

Last edited:
Better on offense yes, better on defense no.

I think Mavs improve more or less because they get a extra year with Lively, Marshall is a upgrade on Derrick Jones and PJ Washington can get a more defined role. Klay/Green will depend on a ton of things and dont think its as simple as everyone says it is
Green is not good defensively at all. Actually a bit bad. He is the most overrated Mavs player by people that have hardly watched the Mavs.

23/24 season Defensive rating:
Klay 118
Green 117

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's THJs role he's replacing (exterior shooter). It's just that THJ was so bad he lost all minutes.

Grimes is replacing Green's role. Naji, DJJ's.

Green is not good defensively at all. Actually a bit bad. He is the most overwated Mavs player by people that had hardly watched the Mavs.

23/24 season Defensive rating:
Klay 118
Green 117
Defensive rating in basketball is 100% illogical in so many ways. Doesnt take into account help defense, who you defending, when

Its not like Klay Thimpson is James Harden and Green is Jrue Holiday but its a difference nonetheless where a teams biggest weakness is now worse

It's THJs role he's replacing (exterior shooter). It's just that THJ was so bad he lost all minutes.

Grimes is replacing Green's role. Naji, DJJ's.
Hmm depends on what you think Grimes is going to do. I expect he gets bugger all minutes myself. Im assuming you think Klay takes minutes from Doncic/Kyrie (which isnt the worst thing) ?

Defensive rating in basketball is 100% illogical in so many ways. Doesnt take into account help defense, who you defending, when

Its not like Klay Thimpson is James Harden and Green is Jrue Holiday but its a difference nonetheless where a teams biggest weakness is now worse
It's just insane saying Mavs biggest weakness is defense lol.
Nothing in reality backs up this statement.
You've watched about 5 minutes of Mavs playing.

Are you that crazy jordan poster with a new name/account? I thought I blocked that guy.

It's just insane saying Mavs biggest weakness is defense lol.
Nothing in reality backs up this statement.
You've watched about 5 minutes of Mavs playing.

Are you that crazy jordan poster with a new name/account? I thought I blocked that guy.
You think Luka Doncic being exposed on defense isnt a weakness?

Its literally all anyone talked about in the Celtics final series

Mavs defence after the ASB was great. Doesnt mean Luka will ever be a great defender but he doesn't have to be, he has to hurt you on the other end more than he gets hurt. Nothing more

Let the other guys focus on D.

They'll take time figuring out splits for Klay/Luka/Kyrie lineups. I dont think all 3 can play for extended periods but if their D is close to last year AND Klay hits more open 3s than DJJ did, obviously a W

Green had by far the worst defensive on/off metric of any Mav who played substantial minutes last season.

Dallas had a top five defence when he sat, and the league's worst defence when he was on.

2024 Offseason Thread - Summer League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back