2024 Offseason Thread - Summer League

Remove this Banner Ad

Knowledgable posters of basketball.

I invite you to contribute and enjoy the basketball during and in the

2024 Paris Olympic Games basketball thread (XXXIII Olympiad)

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that today and cringed.

Then thought he's not ****ing wrong. His teammates are shit 😂😂😂

That was after 82 games. Not up until the trade deadline.
Yeah but that’s my point, post deadline they were a different team so I don’t think looking at the full 82 games is an accurate way to rate them. They should be judged on what they produced post deadline.

This years winner of overplaying their hand in free agency has to go to Tyus Jones

Absolutely no one has the money left to give him outside of Detroit where he will only be a bench player and generally just signed on to be a trade piece down the line almost

This years winner of overplaying their hand in free agency has to go to Tyus Jones

Absolutely no one has the money left to give him outside of Detroit where he will only be a bench player and generally just signed on to be a trade piece down the line almost
I saw Philly fans clamouring over him and I thought they were being delusional because ‘he must be signed already surely’.

A genuinely solid back up PG, staggered he has ended up in this situation.

I saw Philly fans clamouring over him and I thought they were being delusional because ‘he must be signed already surely’.

A genuinely solid back up PG, staggered he has ended up in this situation.

I read something a couple of weeks back that his preference was a starting job, or playing time, rather than money.

If that's true, then I suspect the problem is that the good teams that could use him as a rotational piece can't afford him, and he doesn't make much sense for total rebuild teams because he's too effective.

Ordinarily he'd be a prime candidate for a MLE, but so many teams are eschewing that now because of the cap apron penalties.

Gary Trent is the other one in this situation. It's probable that a couple of teams will try to dump some pieces and get far enough under the aprons in order to offer their MLE or taxpayer MLE. The Lakers would be one of those teams.

Fair play to Brunson, that’s an insane deal to take. No matter what he accomplishes from here on out he will be a NY legend for that.

View attachment 2046570
He will get a bit back to be fair when he is eligible for 35% max over 5 years and not 30% for his next contract but that will still equal about a 60 mill loss for him

It will give them a chance to keep Julius Randle when previously was no chance

I read something a couple of weeks back that his preference was a starting job, or playing time, rather than money.

If that's true, then I suspect the problem is that the good teams that could use him as a rotational piece can't afford him, and he doesn't make much sense for total rebuild teams because he's too effective.

Ordinarily he'd be a prime candidate for a MLE, but so many teams are eschewing that now because of the cap apron penalties.

Gary Trent is the other one in this situation. It's probable that a couple of teams will try to dump some pieces and get far enough under the aprons in order to offer their MLE or taxpayer MLE. The Lakers would be one of those teams.
Id be curious as to what starting job he was expecting to get to be honest. I couldnt see one open anywhere, I was more expecting him to be someone who went to Golden State instead of Melton who went there instead

I cant see anyone offering him MLE for the reasons you said. I think he is left taking a 1 year 4 mill deal at a club like Denver at this point

Trent on the other hand looks like a prime candidate for a side like 76ers once again at that very small salary range of maybe 1/4 too

Fair play to Brunson, that’s an insane deal to take. No matter what he accomplishes from here on out he will be a NY legend for that.

View attachment 2046570
Driven for success, got probably the second or third best roster in the entire competition now and it’s go time for the next 2-3 seasons. It’s now or never really shit changes so quickly in the nba they’ve got the team to win it now so love that he’s willing to do that because he ultimately wants the success.

He will get a bit back to be fair when he is eligible for 35% max over 5 years and not 30% for his next contract but that will still equal about a 60 mill loss for him

It will give them a chance to keep Julius Randle when previously was no chance
It’s possible but a big risk, a 30+ year old small guard may not be in his prime still. Not certain he will get that deal. Hope so for his sake and it’s a win/win.

It’s possible but a big risk, a 30+ year old small guard may not be in his prime still. Not certain he will get that deal. Hope so for his sake and it’s a win/win.

I've been following the NBA for decades. I'm used to the inflation. But even I did a double-take when reading this:

Brunson’s deal includes a fourth-year player option. He could sign a four-year, $323MM extension in 2028 or sign a new, five-year, $418MM deal in 2029.

What's that, about AU$600 mil? Nice work if you can get it. Still, props to him for taking this route, for now.

This should become a thing in the NBA, but we'll see if it does.

Id be curious as to what starting job he was expecting to get to be honest. I couldnt see one open anywhere, I was more expecting him to be someone who went to Golden State instead of Melton who went there instead

I dunno, maybe Brooklyn before they traded Bridges? Probably just unlucky.

I cant see anyone offering him MLE for the reasons you said. I think he is left taking a 1 year 4 mill deal at a club like Denver at this point

Taxpayer MLE is about $5-6mil, so he'll probably just hope for that.

Trent on the other hand looks like a prime candidate for a side like 76ers once again at that very small salary range of maybe 1/4 too

There are a few teams that could use the shooting, but they'll have to get creative to offer him anything substantial. Kinda odd the Pistons gave Beasley a one year contract, I'm sure they're one team that Trent would have been counting on to provide leverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah for sure. Its easily the biggest sacrifice we have seen in NBA history just because of the risks involved.

What was looking like a 1 year team, probably becomes 4 years of contending really

I've been following the NBA for decades. I'm used to the inflation. But even I did a double-take when reading this:

What's that, about AU$600 mil? Nice work if you can get it. Still, props to him for taking this route, for now.

This should become a thing in the NBA, but we'll see if it does.

I dunno, maybe Brooklyn before they traded Bridges? Probably just unlucky.

Taxpayer MLE is about $5-6mil, so he'll probably just hope for that.

There are a few teams that could use the shooting, but they'll have to get creative to offer him anything substantial. Kinda odd the Pistons gave Beasley a one year contract, I'm sure they're one team that Trent would have been counting on to provide leverage.
Alot more options for Jones then Trent though

Sacramento a good shout for Jones with Mitchell gone. For Trent just dont see anyone. Maybe OKC if they want more scoring from the bench which is quite defensive minded

Goes back to my annoyance at Joe/Wiggins deals. Could have easily kept Wiggins via taking on team option then giving Jones 2/24

Good on Brunson. Hes still making more money than he could spend, im sure he has a shoe deal on top as well. I hope they win it, and keep the roster together (or improve)

Really show players that prioritise an extra penny over a ring when you have 9 figures in the bank how dumb they are
Very good point re': sponsorships

This type of stuff just ups his brand.

To say he is the face of New York sports is a understatement. He has 100% solidified that for many years to come too. Its very easy to see him losing 113 mill in NBA salary and gaining 50 mill in sponsorships on the other end too as legit one of the faces of the NBA

Sounds like a sign and trade for Tyus Jones in the works with Clippers

Jones for Tucker/Westbrook and picks to Washington. Washington likely to take Nnaji from Denver for Westbrook plus picks and then buy out Tucker who can go to a contender

Makes sense for all

View attachment 2046570
Was listening to a podcast ,they were saying the players union wouldn't be happy with Brunson for not maximising his earnings
They weren't criticising him and pointed out he's in a huge market with lots of endorsements etc.
Also he'll be loved in NY forever
Good on him tho. Team success is important to some players

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was listening to a podcast ,they were saying the players union wouldn't be happy with Brunson for not maximising his earnings
They weren't criticising him and pointed out he's in a huge market with lots of endorsements etc.
Also he'll be loved in NY forever
Good on him tho. Team success is important to some players

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So far as I can tell he's WAY WAY WAY way way way (way?) way further ahead than any other player in the league taking less for team success. He's in his prime AND their best player.

Having said that the contract after this one will probably be a stupendous monster. He's eligible for $400m+.

Don't choke in the playoffs Jalen, could end up costing you half a billion or so.

2024 Offseason Thread - Summer League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back