Summer 2024 Paralympics - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Competition starts tonight!

Been watching some highlights of the 2020 Paralympics. Not that I needed the reminder, but these athletes are incredible, and the stories are unbelievable. I mean take goalball, either no vision or extremely limited vision (10%), eye masks for fairness. I think how I’d be without vision…

First Aussies are in action in the swimming, with poised to be a megastar Alexa Leary in action in the S10 heats for the women’s 50m freestyle. Keira Stephens also in this event, and hopefully she’s in better form than what was an underwhelming Olympic trial. Defending Olympic champion in the men’s 50m freestyle Ryan Crothers is also up.

Wheelchair rugby we take on Great Britain. Archery, track cycling, boccia, table tennis, plenty of Aussies in action. The day concludes with Australia taking on Netherlands in men’s wheelchair basketball.

Day 1 Highlights: All times ACST

• 4:00pm: Badminton. First event.
  • 4:30pm: Archery. Can’t get enough of archery.
  • 5:00pm: Swimming begins
  • 6:00pm: Women’s goalball- Turkey vs Brazil.
  • 7:00pm: Open rugby- Australia vs Great Britain
  • 7:30pm: Cycling begins
  • 1:00am: Swimming night session
  • 5:00am: Men’s wheelchair basketball- Australia vs Netherlands

Last edited:
9's free to air coverage starts on 9Gem at 5pm EST and then on their main channel after the news and A Current Affair and goes thru until the Today Show which seems to be starting later at 6.30am.

I checked the electronic guide on my TV last night and that seems to be the basic pattern of coverage for the next few days. Northern states the main channel will go to NRL and flip over coverage to 9Gem for that period of time.

They need to turn down the crowd/arena sound effects and turn up the commentators because the ratio is out of whack.
What are you watching on, Stan or 9Now?

Haha turn on the box, and Alexa Leary is about to swim in a 50m freestyle heat.

Brenton Speed or Cate Campbell say she is an S9 category but because there aren't enough S9's she has to go up a category to S10 ie less disability, and wins he heat with a great last 15m coming from 3rd.

Last edited:
Haha turn on the box, and Alexa Leary is about to swim in a 50m freestyle heat.

Brenton Speed or Cate Campbell say she is an S9 category but because there aren't enough S9's she has to go up a category to S10 ie less disability, and wins he heat with a great last 15m coming from 3rd.
Apparently her time would’ve been an S9 Paralympic record? Just what I stumbled across.

I’m learning all about the wheelchair rugby.

Every player is assigned a point value based on their functional ability, from 0.5 for a player with the least physical function through to 3.5 for the most physical function. The total on-court value for each team of four cannot exceed eight points.
And I’ve done some research on Beau Vernon, what a story. Had no idea.

Edit this should have been in Day 2 thread but will leave it here.

I saw Petrucio Ferreira win his 100m T47 final earlier this morning Oz time but I didn't see him do this flip. 3 peat 100m fair enough you do this sort of celebration. T47 is for competitors with a below elbow or wrist amputation or impairment.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Petrucio Ferreira win his 100m T47 final earlier this morning Oz time but I didn't see him do this flip. 3 peat 100m fair enough you do this sort of celebration. T47 is for competitors with a below elbow or wrist amputation or impairment.

I saw that race. Live the flip. He really came home strong in the last 30m to get the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Summer 2024 Paralympics - Day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back