Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m an experienced player at another club in a position Carlton desperately need to fill. I’m ready for a change of scenery and open to offers!

Tell me Vossy/Nick/Brian why should I join the Blues??
Loyal supporters?

I've been in many clubs that have been successful and gone sour. As soon as you have players starting to think 'why the **** is he playing' or 'shouldnt he have to go through the twos?' you're cooked. Its a layer of doubt that festers. Feels pretty likely. Looks pretty likely with that 'effort' today and the last 7 weeks.

That weird little patch where we went from 'next man up, structure matters' to "Two ruckmen... now back to one... now back to two again". Meanwhile, a few blokes discovered that they get to play when fit regardless of form/fitness (Cerra, Martin, Boyd for some reason), while others found out they might get dropped even when their form is actually pretty good (Hewett, Kennedy, Pitto - who came in and played well, then got dropped). And others in the reserves have learnt they won't get a game regardless of literally anything (Binns, Young - except for the one random week where he was picked to play two positions ruck/forward that he hasn't trained for or played in the reserves).

Brisbane had the 'go home 5'. I wonder if we'll see similar if/when we complete this collapse....

2022 we lose the last 6 to miss the finals after being in the 8 the entire season.

2023 we win 4 of the first 13 games

2024, we lose 5 out of the last 6 to sit out of the 8, after being a game and a half clear two thirds through the year.

This is a recurring trend, the coach has some explaining to do
Yea we are a very average football team sometimes north sometimes south of midtable -- our game style is based around being in contest keeping it as close to 50/50 for long periods - we are not good enough at it ..

Acres, Cerra and Hollands have been good pick ups so do me nothing to balance the list is a bit harsh
I'll give you acres, cerra didn't address the weakness of our midfield but when playing well helped gloss over it.

Hollands is a good runner but been ordinary most of the year, all his other draft picks have been a complete bust like 2011 nothing behind the big names we got early when in full rebuild to keep things going north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

29 years as a member. I’m in Tas so I don’t pay the big bucks like a lot of people, but I also would be lucky to make it to one game very two years.

So my membership is purely because I want to be part of this great club. I’ve dragged my wife and kids into it and no doubt we’ll all sign up again next year but I think this is the most disappointed I can remember feeling.

Just shattered. I’ve worked very hard on myself to not let the negativity football affect my real world too much over the past few years. These past 6 weeks have completely broken that.

Just when we thinks things are going well, they suddenly aren’t. I enjoy coming here and reading everyone’s thoughts as it helps me to know I’m not alone with these feelings.

I know there’s going to be questions on Voss as coach, but we have to stick with him don’t we? We can’t put Crippa through another coach sacking. Just don’t know how to move passed this right now.

29 years as a member. I’m in Tas so I don’t pay the big bucks like a lot of people, but I also would be lucky to make it to one game very two years. So my membership is purely because I want to be part of this great club. I’ve dragged my wife and kids into it and no doubt we’ll all sign up again next year but I think this is the most disappointed I can remember feeling. Just shattered. I’ve worked very hard on myself to not let the negativity football affect my real world too much over the past few years. These past 6 weeks have completely broken that.
Just when we thinks things are going well, they suddenly aren’t. I enjoy coming here and reading everyone’s thoughts as it helps me to know I’m not alone with these feelings. I know there’s going to be questions on Voss as coach, but we have to stick with him don’t we? We can’t put Crippa through another coach sacking. Just don’t know how to move passed this right now.

Take a breath.

We lost a game of footy.

The world is good, the sun will come up tomorrow.😎👍

Sad game to be making my first post after. That was a bad loss but it has been coming. It is never as bad or as good as it seems (well win three flags in a row then I guess it would be bloody brilliant but I digress..). I expected this. At the start of the year I thought we were a third tall, key defender and high position midfielder short. I expected us to be 6th to 8th and maybe win one final. I now realise we are worse than that. But success is not linear. Stay strong fellow Blues fanatics. Success will come. Not sure when, but it will.

Welcome Nutter. Our form v them going in worried me greatly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Take a breath.

We lost a game of footy.

The world is good, the sun will come up tomorrow.😎👍
There is much much worse things in life, I can tell you. It is tough we put emotion into it…but I get over it quick, keeping it in life context.

So what happened from quarter time round 19?
TDK injured, a chance for finals; replaced by Pitto, complete blowout
Cerra and Cotterall brought straight in no seconds game, Hewitt dropped. Both injured within a month season's over.
Carroll, Hewitt, Boyd, Cowan, Kemp in and out without any form of assessment in seconds.
Saad injured, McGov injured, Fogarty injured, Charlie playing injured
Martin injured, back for a fortnight, injured again
One ruck, two rucks, one ruck again
Walsh's back identified by Clarkson, every other team picks this up
Newman, Owies, Motlop, Kemp go missing for extended periods, no repercussions at selection

I could go on, but this looks like it's football management 101

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back