Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo Walsh has to be moved to a wing. He tries hard but he just doesn’t have the power/strength for a midfield. Cerra is not much better.

I think the midfield needs a fix this offseason. One power/burst mid should fix it. Rotate Cerra/walsh through mid/wing/bench.

Nah I reckon Walsh is a mid. He's at his best when him and Cripps are on song together.

His form is concerning though, he almost looks a bit heavy - as if he's focused on strength so much he's lost that little acceleration burst & sidestep. His kicking has never been a strength but at the moment its almost a liability when he has ball in hand and we're streaming forward. Early in his career I never saw him get caught HTB, always managed to get his hands free no matter the pressure, now he's always caught - I'd like to see who leads the league in getting pinged HTB, he'd be up there.

He will turn it around because that's who he is, bloody hope it's soon though.

Good to get the W, but we're in a real slump.

I think we still struggle with expectation to be honest.

Start of the year there was expectation on us, we coasted to some wins but hardly set the world on fire - dare I say even got lucky once or twice - eg Freo game.

Then by the time we got belted by Sydney and dropped out of the 8, we were off everyone's radar and rallied. Almost as soon as we got clear on 2nd & the flag fancy talk started, we've looked shaky again.

Remember last year we were at our best and winning finals because nobody expected us to.
Yeah its hard not to think this. Really thought those days were past us but maybe not.

Struggling to think of other reasons why we've apparently dropped off a cliff since the two 10 goal wins vs Geelong and Richmond. You're right re: the timing, I remember the pump up they got in the media the week following the Richmond game.

People complaining that we only won by 19 points need to go and look at the last 4 weeks of North's games. They could easily have won 3 of those and they beat the GC suns. Their form has been really solid outside of their last Sydney game.
They can beat Geelong for us this week

Struggling to think of other reasons why we've apparently dropped off a cliff since the two 10 goal wins vs Geelong and Richmond
We also seem not to do well bringing guys back into the team. We do well with a stable lineup and then seem to get out of balance trying to shoehorn in guys who aren't quite ready or need others to change roles or push out guys who are going ok.

If letting in 88 points against the 17th tanked side is having a better team defence then its a concern, i still saw the same issues yesterday, that I’ve seen most of the year, so many times it looked like North had extra players on the ground.

I know its only a few examples but i saw a few times Durdin totally lost at sea with who his man was and i even saw Weitering go off his tree at the other defenders when it was him who zoned off Larkey by 15M, then couldn’t get back to cover him.

I thought once again our back 6 were thrown to the wolves by poor stoppage set up’s up the ground.
Only gave up 18 scoring shots, and they kicked 7.1 from set shots outside 45 metres. That’s freakiest conversion. They were pulling goals out of their backsides as times

Yeah its hard not to think this. Really thought those days were past us but maybe not.

Struggling to think of other reasons why we've apparently dropped off a cliff since the two 10 goal wins vs Geelong and Richmond. You're right re: the timing, I remember the pump up they got in the media the week following the Richmond game.

Takes a long time to mature on the mental side of elite sport. Our main guys are all 26+ so they should be getting pretty bloody close if not there already.

Maybe all the losing trauma from 2016-2020 has caused a late development.

Finding it hard to enjoy watching these games right now. Has certainly become clear how important Gov is to this lineup. Hopefully we’re just straightening up for our finals run, but things need to go much better from here on in if we’re going to be serious contenders.

I really thought Weits issue yesterday was that, he was trying to play on Larkey but also trying to be the intercepting defender, lots of times i saw him zone off to intercept, allowing Larkey an easy run at the ball.

Players thrive when they can trust their teammates to do a job, like Cripps at stages, Weitering was trying to do to much because he was the only capable defender.
Weits was definitely playing back shoulder to Larkey as the instruction or plan seemed to be 'fill the hole in front of Larkey so weits can out strength him' and then the midfielders/ interceptors and durdins literally never succeeded in that. Was pretty piss. Completely ****ed over weits. Saw it with Curtis a lot too. Layer in front was just never there. Deep defenders were strictly playing behind.

Just meant they had all those shots about 40-50 out right in front off uncontested marks.

While at the game I was super frustrated for a half, but after watching the replay I am relatively content with the performance.

Half our starting backline was out. Kemp should never have been dropped after a poor performance against Hogan and a so so game against the dogs.

Playing 5 talls exposed us when we had 2 off in the 2nd quarter. Need to play 6 plus Jack Martin. Team hasn't lost when MCG has played out the games fit. He makes a massive difference.

Thought Sheezels game was over rated. 2 nice goals but only 3 other SI came off the back of his other 32 possessions without a lot of M gained.

TDK was instrumental in getting us back into the game in the 3rd. Clearly him being off for a prolonged time in the 2nd effected our structure. God I hate how the ruck contests are being umpired to swing the balance in favour of the maulers rather than the jumpers, who run past the ball, blocking and then get taps at waist level. The Simon Madden style ruck work used to be a thing of beauty.

Was great that CC was able to work into the game despite not having the kicking boots on. It would be great if the umpires paid the frees early in the game. Corr and Logue rarely make any attempt to go for the ball and could be called for a free at just about every contest.

Sometimes you just need to get a win especially with 5 out our best 22.

North sniffed a win opportunity and went for it and we didn’t get wake up until half time.

Hopefully they carry the momentum into the next game. A few sore lads and a short turnaround.

I really liked Carroll today. He has an ability to slow things around him and find a way through traffic. I hope he stays in.

Durdin is not a guy you want to have to rely on in finals.
Yep, even with Kemp's bad games he is a huge step up on Durdin. ( Although it's a bit hard to judge him on one game in 2 years )

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take the 4 points and move onto next week.
We looked a little banged up.

Cerra, E Hollands and O Hollands made some rather large decision making mistakes.
I think E Hollands may have got a swelled head from the videos of him on the website and then thought he was all that and loses a bit of edge/urgency to solidify his place in the team.
It happens....best remedy....a week in the reserves.

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Weits was definitely playing back shoulder to Larkey as the instruction or plan seemed to be 'fill the hole in front of Larkey so weits can out strength him' and then the midfielders/ interceptors and durdins literally never succeeded in that. Was pretty piss. Completely ****ed over weits. Saw it with Curtis a lot too. Layer in front was just never there. Deep defenders were strictly playing behind.

Just meant they had all those shots about 40-50 out right in front off uncontested marks.
I also counted about five times where Durdin completely stuffed up a clear intercept mark chance for Weiters.

After all the talk from the club last week about improving defensive structures etc it was pretty disappointing to allow North their 2nd highest score for the year.

Not much looked to have changed, I think we lose that game if we were playing any other team in the comp. We're in a bit of trouble imo :(
Dumping Kemp was odd.

Port will have 3 or 4 talls - Lord, Georgiades, Dixon. Where's Marshall?
While at the game I was super frustrated for a half, but after watching the replay I am relatively content with the performance.

Half our starting backline was out. Kemp should never have been dropped after a poor performance against Hogan and a so so game against the dogs.

Playing 5 talls exposed us when we had 2 off in the 2nd quarter. Need to play 6 plus Jack Martin. Team hasn't lost when MCG has played out the games fit. He makes a massive difference.

Thought Sheezels game was over rated. 2 nice goals but only 3 other SI came off the back of his other 32 possessions without a lot of M gained.

TDK was instrumental in getting us back into the game in the 3rd. Clearly him being off for a prolonged time in the 2nd effected our structure. God I hate how the ruck contests are being umpired to swing the balance in favour of the maulers rather than the jumpers, who run past the ball, blocking and then get taps at waist level. The Simon Madden style ruck work used to be a thing of beauty.

Was great that CC was able to work into the game despite not having the kicking boots on. It would be great if the umpires paid the frees early in the game. Corr and Logue rarely make any attempt to go for the ball and could be called for a free at just about every contest.

Sometimes you just need to get a win especially with 5 out our best 22.

I can't believe the Sheezel fluff...

Thought there were an easy handful of more influential North players....

Only gave up 18 scoring shots, and they kicked 7.1 from set shots outside 45 metres. That’s freakiest conversion. They were pulling goals out of their backsides as times

It was 21 scoring shots according to afl.com.au, from 56 I50 entries, which is slightly better than our 53.

However you want to cut it, we conceded 88 points against the 17th ranked side, we have let through over 300 points the last 3 games and we are 15th for points against.

There is little to no doubt in my mind that that sniper had his team lining us up yesterday.

He is a flower of a bloke.

Agree, I commented during game (watching TV) many times they deliberately rode our guys into the ground after marking , way overboard, knees and elbow into back ribs etc. saw at least 5-6 without looking for it or replays. Suspect it was a tactic from coach, to injure. Hardly surprising.

Was yelling (at TV) for umps to pay a 50 for it several times

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back