Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Roos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was 21 scoring shots according to afl.com.au, from 56 I50 entries, which is slightly better than our 53.

However you want to cut it, we conceded 88 points against the 17th ranked side, we have let through over 300 points the last 3 games and we are 15th for points against.

They've clearly improved as a team throughout the season.

The came out to play - with nothing to lose, no pressure.

We had a lot to lose and, at least, a lot of internal pressure/expectation.

They targeted us physically early on - and we got zero help from the umpires...

We wrestled control back in the third and really should have won by more (their very good accuracy, some shocking misses by our lads - Owies, Hollands, Chuck...).

All that with poor performances from Walsh, Cerra, E. Hollands, Cinc and significantly reduced performances from other wounded players.

Let's move on and focus on Port.

People complaining that we only won by 19 points need to go and look at the last 4 weeks of North's games. They could easily have won 3 of those and they beat the GC suns. Their form has been really solid outside of their last Sydney game.
Same team that Sydney embarrassed last week, right? We are talking about them, right?

It was sad watching LDU cruising out of centre bounces - what a smooth operator ….to think we could have drafted him instead of Dow 🥲
LDU and Richards vs Dow and LOB.

What a difference that would have made.

Maybe we don't trade pick for Cerra and take a genuine FB in the draft.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have played kemp and Durdin simply for flexibility .. we get an injury we can atleast swing kemp forward , in the ruck for 5 etc and i don’t mind that Voss played Durdin .. gotta see what e has got. Also. Feel the knock on kemp isn’t his marking . It’s when he goes for a mark and should be punching it
I was told the coaches have told him to keep being aggressive.

LDU and Richards vs Dow and LOB.

What a difference that would have made.

Maybe we don't trade pick for Cerra and take a genuine FB in the draft.

I think half or probably more than half the battle for clubs is putting a good list together. Some luck is needed along the way of course but when you look back at our rebuild (I know hindsight and all that) it seems to have taken a long time down in the dungeons compared to some recent clubs who appear to have passed through the rebuild/refresh phases a lot quicker - hawks a prime example and roos looking like wanna be giant killers atm. Cats never seem to be down for too long these days.

And still we don't appear to be there just yet? - seems we still need a second KPD, a burst/power type mid, club seems to be looking for a third tall and we may still need a small forward (wait and see how Motlop goes).

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
8 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
5 -
Tristan Xerri (NMFC)
3 - Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
2 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
1 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
1 - Adam Saad (CARL)

:oops:

Coaches' Votes

10 -
Harry Sheezel (NMFC)
8 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
5 -
Tristan Xerri (NMFC)
3 - Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
2 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
1 - Tom De Koning (CARL)
1 - Adam Saad (CARL)

:oops:
It's about right? Crippa wasn't BOG... Sheezel had a game.

Hoping he did enough to get 2BR votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If letting in 88 points against the 17th tanked side is having a better team defence then its a concern, i still saw the same issues yesterday, that I’ve seen most of the year, so many times it looked like North had extra players on the ground.

I know its only a few examples but i saw a few times Durdin totally lost at sea with who his man was and i even saw Weitering go off his tree at the other defenders when it was him who zoned off Larkey by 15M, then couldn’t get back to cover him.

I thought once again our back 6 were thrown to the wolves by poor stoppage set up’s up the ground.

Think it's important to not have opposition points as the sole measurement of success for defence. It's important to take in to consideration where those scores came.

We conceded a number of goals directly out of the middle - not really a strike against the defence. We also conceded something like 44 points from turnover, so not really giving our defence time set up when it comes back quickly because we've coughed it up.

When our forwards and mids did their part further up the ground, we seemed to set up better defensively yesterday. We're just not doing it often enough lately which, again, is not really a reflection of the defence.

I think E Hollands may have got a swelled head from the videos of him on the website and then thought he was all that and loses a bit of edge/urgency to solidify his place in the team.
It happens....best remedy....a week in the reserves.

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think that's just the way he plays.

When it comes off it looks like he's got all the time in the world to make a decision and pass the ball. Even when under enormous pressure.

When it doesn't, he looks slow/lazy/lethargic.

There are probably degrees to it, but I think that's the crux of it.

I was told the coaches have told him to keep being aggressive.

Pretty sure that was the message last year by the backline coach - that is for Kemp to back himself and be attacking and aggressive.

Your intel is consistent with what the coaches publicly said last about how they wanted him to play.

Wonder what things they wanted him to work on. Did he do enough in 3/4 of a training drill in the VFL to fix these things?

I think that's just the way he plays.

When it comes off it looks like he's got all the time in the world to make a decision and pass the ball. Even when under enormous pressure.

When it doesn't, he looks slow/lazy/lethargic.

There are probably degrees to it, but I think that's the crux of it.

It's the Mark Waugh conundrum

What is the context?
Durdin does not have AFL ability
2 games in 3 years
Is often injured
I would far rather Austin use the list spot on a speculative young player with potential, than the ultimate list clogger
context of why he was picked? both weitering and young (the good version) were both injured long term and we desperately needed a tall mature defender, durdin was the best performing one in the state leagues and we picked him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 19 Blues survive a Kangaroo scare

Back