Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton players can't kick thing is a reality but it's made a lot worse by our pace.

I've played a lot of footy, kicked at a high level. I can tell you some players are much harder targets to hit than others. It's really hard to hit slow, short or unskilled players when the defence is good. Some quick blokes, you can totally get the kick wrong and they make you look brilliant simply because they can get there. The margin for error is very small when kicking to slow blokes and that is us.

In the first 20 seconds Hawthorn won the centre clearance and immediately had a player 20m in the clear inside 50. How does that happen???

Our midfield cheats. If it's a 50/50 ball they all sprint fwd with zero regard for any defensive responsibility - usually with Cripps at the bottom of the pack.

No matter how much we get burnt, the midfield refuse to go defensive-first.

After that first center bounce I just put my head in my hands and thought 'you cannot be serious'.

People are praising Cowan and rightly so.

A 19 year old who played like that so deep into the season, I wonder why.

Oh that's why, he was rested last week (including no VFL) unintentionally as the emergency and came straight back in fresh on the weekend.

Proper management of players can do wonders.
And this is the problem with having a cohort of perennially injured quality players- we have no ability to rest anyone without a significant drop in performance

Anyway, good test for the club this weekend and next.

We absolutely can be playing finals and should be.

Let’s see if the players, including those who will probably be getting a first full run in the seniors this year, can get us there.

I think in the future I will remember this as the day the music died for me.

Plenty of my older Carlton supporting friends always tell me that I can’t trust them and they’ll always let me down. To which I always replied that there was hope and that they’re a new group who can move on from the past.

I lost that hope yesterday. It’s been building for the past six weeks but yesterday has broken something in me. I’ve always wondered why some people were emotionally checked out of supporting this club, why they don’t go to the games anymore, or why they only follow it casually. I think I get it now. Serious amount of soul searching will be happening this summer. Not sure I’ll be back, but even if I am it won’t be the same as it was.

Last edited:

Plenty of my older Carlton supporting friends always tell me that I can’t trust them and they’ll always let me down. To which I always replied that there was hope and that they’re a new group who can move on from the past.

I lost that hope yesterday. It’s been building for the past six weeks but yesterday has broken something in me. Serious amount of soul searching will be happening this summer. Not sure I’ll be back, but even if I am it won’t be the same as it was.
Yeah feeling a bit of that. Had similar thoughts end of 2022 to be fair, even during that run in the back half of '23 I said on here don't get too carried away, how they come out in '24 will be the real test.

Well, guess I got sucked in, by the time we had the back to back 10 goal wins vs Geelong and Richmond I thought we were the real deal, first time I've really believed in decades. Should have known better, same old same old.

I lost that hope yesterday. It’s been building for the past six weeks but yesterday has broken something in me. I’ve always wondered why some people were emotionally checked out of supporting this club, why they don’t go to the games anymore, or why they only follow it casually. I think I get it now. Serious amount of soul searching will be happening this summer. Not sure I’ll be back, but even if I am it won’t be the same as it was.

As someone who has followed the club for over 50 years and lived through the great periods of the 70's, 80's & 90s the past 25 years have been hell.

I really believed we were about to be a great side again and challenge for flags.

Now I feel that has gone. A big pre season can turn it around but I feel there are many issues that need to be sorted out during that period.

Sadly now I am back living in hope as opposed to reality

Our midfield cheats. If it's a 50/50 ball they all sprint fwd with zero regard for any defensive responsibility - usually with Cripps at the bottom of the pack.

After that first center bounce I just put my head in my hands and thought 'you cannot be serious'.

My family and I just looked at each other….we knew we were in for a tough day

As someone who has followed the club for over 50 years and lived through the great periods of the 70's, 80's & 90s the past 25 years have been hell.

I really believed we were about to be a great side again and challenge for flags.

Now I feel that has gone. A big pre season can turn it around but I feel there are many issues that need to be sorted out during that period.

Sadly now I am back living in hope as opposed to reality
I think we have the nucleus to be a great side. Question is can the club as a whole get the best out of the players?
Come to think of it in 2013 we had a side that had Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazo, Walker Simpson, Kreuz, Scotland the 3 amigos Waite,Robbo, Tuohy and the best we could do was one finals series.

Last edited:

Don’t blame you.
I’d be pissed stranded on 99 games as well.

I was playing golf yesterday arvo….started off well, parred first 3 holes, then one of my playing partners blurted out the score and my game went to shit.
Came good on the back 9 after resigning myself to the fact that it was more important to hit my drives down the middle, and sink a few putts rather than worrying about something completely beyond my control.
But FU Carlton, you ruined my round!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not true. As an ‘older supporter’, I had no fear when Carlton played in a game that mattered. We were always victorious or at the very least proud of the display. Never let us down.

Can’t say that over the past 20 years with the new age.

What we've done all year is try and outnumber at the content so we can win the ball, shuffle it around, and ideally exit via forward handball.

Yesterday you could see the Hawks do almost the exact opposite, they leave a lot of space between them so when they do get the ball they have someone free they can move it out too with less time and pressure so they can use it better.

This almost allows them to move the ball through chained uncontested possession as the next person is free... kind of like jumping pieces in checkers.

This lack of congestion when you're still winning the ball is fantastic to put speed on the ball through ball movement. Surely we could do this too if we tried?

I will use this post as therapy. Yesterday was amongst the most devastating losses I have experienced as a 46 year supporter of the Carlton Football Club because the likelihood is no one on the present list will play in a Carlton Premiership. My journey this year went from predicting a 6th finish after a finals win but thinking we were perhaps a season or 2 away, to stating post the first collingwood loss that we can not win the premiership, to thinking a grandfinal after Geelong. What I saw yesterday was systemic failure that sits at the feet of Luke Sayers because he is responsible for key appointments that make it impossible for us to win
1. Nick Austin- He inherited a list that lacks skill and pace and recruited players that have no skill and pace. I don't want to go through the list but I can not bite my tongue any longer but focus on O Hollands. He will only ever be an endurance runner but he can't kick and will never have pace from stoppage.

2. Andrew Russel- He needed to go 2 years ago. The coach has never had a fit list.

3. Voss is the least of our problems. You can't play the modern game with owies, boyd, kemp, hollands et al.

If the club is serious it replaces the president and cleans out the list, football and recruiting department. No reviews just pick the right people. We might play a final this year but a premiership will not happen with this group.....You don't come back from losses like yesterday

Carlton is a team that scares people - not the opposition but it's supporters who wonder what inept, pathetic effort they will put in this week - we are a laughing stock of the comp - a lot of a passengers on the Blues Bus - feel sorry for Cripps, Walsh , Weitering and a few others who have a go - show some mongrel and fight Blues for God's Sake !!!!
Walsh has been one of the main 'offenders'.

Now, he may well be injured and if so, terrible player management....

If not, he's performing like a C grader. Barely.

I will use this post as therapy. Yesterday was amongst the most devastating losses I have experienced as a 46 year supporter of the Carlton Football Club because the likelihood is no one on the present list will play in a Carlton Premiership. My journey this year went from predicting a 6th finish after a finals win but thinking we were perhaps a season or 2 away, to stating post the first collingwood loss that we can not win the premiership, to thinking a grandfinal after Geelong. What I saw yesterday was systemic failure that sits at the feet of Luke Sayers because he is responsible for key appointments that make it impossible for us to win
1. Nick Austin- He inherited a list that lacks skill and pace and recruited players that have no skill and pace. I don't want to go through the list but I can not bite my tongue any longer but focus on O Hollands. He will only ever be an endurance runner but he can't kick and will never have pace from stoppage.

2. Andrew Russel- He needed to go 2 years ago. The coach has never had a fit list.

3. Voss is the least of our problems. You can't play the modern game with owies, boyd, kemp, hollands et al.

If the club is serious it replaces the president and cleans out the list, football and recruiting department. No reviews just pick the right people. We might play a final this year but a premiership will not happen with this group.....You don't come back from losses like yesterday

Round 8, 1995?

Love to get Adam Simpson as our midfield coach.

Put this game in the same basket as:

Essendon game last year.
Adelaide - Bryce Gibbs final game 2020
GWS - during Covid years

special mention to Gather Round last year, and Sydney in Sydney where i traveled to watch game

where i thought to myself what am i doing? 30 odd years of going to games.. if we lose this week ill probably emotional check out, and then like a sucker get back on the horse next year.

I absolutely empathise with you.

Through most of my 32 years, I’ve been as fanatical as they come.

I think part of is circumstance now (1 kid with another due very shortly) but I just don’t feel the disappointment as much as I used to. I can’t tell if it’s a maturing nature or whether I’ve just become jaded but this club failing just doesn’t hit me the same way as it used to.

For the most part, it almost feels like I’m numb following this club nowadays. The wins still feel good but the capitulations are just not as depressing as they used to be.

100% yes. Where is Sayers? Pitiful if he doesn't have a press conference or media release this week. The buck stops with him.

100% yes. Where is Sayers? Pitiful if he doesn't have a press conference or media release this week. The buck stops with him.

whats a press release, or a conference going to do ? just some words and spin..

read/heard somewhere over last few days.... Carlton needs to move past our "legends" and previous glories, and create new ones.. otherwise we'll end up like st kilda holding onto the past, and sabotaging the future to keep them relavant.. (FWIW it was put much more eloquently than how i put it)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back