Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Who played well for the Blues in Round 22 vs the Hawks?

• 2. Lachie Cowan

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • 3. Jesse Motlop

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 4. Ollie Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 6. Zac Williams

• 7. Matthew Kennedy

Votes: 59 36.9%
  • 8. Lachie Fogarty

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 9. Patrick Cripps

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • 10. Harry McKay

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 11. Mitch McGovern

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 13. Blake Acres

Votes: 41 25.6%
  • 17. Brodie Kemp

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 18. Sam Walsh

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 20. Elijah Hollands

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 21. Jack Martin (subbed out a quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 23. Jacob Weitering

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • 24. Nic Newman

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 27. Marc Pittonet

• 29. George Hewett

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 30. Charlie Curnow

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 37. Jordan Boyd

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • 39. Alex Cincotta (subbed on at quarter time with hamstring injury)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 42. Adam Saad

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 44. Matt Owies

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

whats a press release, or a conference going to do ? just some words and spin..

read/heard somewhere over last few days.... Carlton needs to move past our "legends" and previous glories, and create new ones.. otherwise we'll end up like st kilda holding onto the past, and sabotaging the future to keep them relavant..
So no 30 year celebration next year?

Its not over till its over, but, its over.

We will have the following unavailable:

TDK
Curnow
Fog
Saad
Martin
Boyd
Cerra
Cottrell
Marchy
Cuningham
Doch
JSOS
Fantasia
Corey Durdin
Carroll
O'Keefe

Out of those 16, at least 11 of those are best 22. So we are playing terribly, at a low ebb, AND have half a side out.

Plus I am 99.9999% certain Walsh's back is playing up.

Sides who turn bad runs of form around have the majority of their best side available.

Its pretty similar to how drugged up Essendon fell of a cliff in 2012, though I doubt we tried anything as "creative" as they did.
Let’s revisit this in 2 weeks time and see if it is over

Been plenty ticked off today over the performance against the Hawks but there is always some room for a little perspective too and sometimes it takes someone a little removed from the situation to help make some sense of it all.

23:40 Talking about Carlton. Some salient points made but there was no excuse for the lack of effort from some.

Surely Lachie Cowan was worthy of a rising star nomination for this game. Especially looking at some of the names on the list.

Hopefully he gets one for collective performance this year.

whats a press release, or a conference going to do ? just some words and spin..

read/heard somewhere over last few days.... Carlton needs to move past our "legends" and previous glories, and create new ones.. otherwise we'll end up like st kilda holding onto the past, and sabotaging the future to keep them relavant.. (FWIW it was put much more eloquently than how i put it)
At least it's something from the top of the club silence

The big shift for me, at the start of the season everyone was patting each other on the back now they are throwing their arms in the air going crook at team mates. We look like a bottom team doing it, I'll leave it to your own thoughts to what this may be.
I personally think we have an oversimplified game plan with a couple of big named sooks leading the way in this area ie. Weitering and McGovern.
Just calling it how I see it not meaning to degrade anyone but, It looks terrible from my standpoint.
For me alarm bells were ringing in October 2023.

Lack of trade activity to add more to improve our deficiencies.

Recruitment of 28yr old fantasia for 2 years, on main list! Whilst only competition GWS for a 1yr rookie contract.

To the back slapping, extensions to Voss and Sayers using constitutional loop holes to extend himself.

Extensions to continually injury prone, on the main list....

Its like they reviewed 9 games, instead of a full season, given how diabolical the slump was in first half of 2023

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I hope their is no dissentions among our players. To be honest I was disappointed to see the arguing and finger pointing especially by Gov, after Hawthorn got a few easy goals in the 1st quarter. It didn't look good.
Clear frustration at Kemp. Both Gov and Weitering (and myself). He's peeling off too aggressively and constantly goes for marks when he should spoil. It cost us multiple goals on the weekend.

It's become evident why he was dropped and what the instructions would have been. The Hawks second goal of the game was particularly frustrating - what should have been a fairly rudimentary spoil to the boundary line was instead a fumbled mark and goal to the Hawks.

I would describe it as living in the real world instead of living in a fantasy world.
I would describe it by saying that this is an opinion forum, and people are allowed to write or think as they choose. Criticism of an opinion is a valid way to converse on here; derision of another's perspective as 'fantasy' is not.

Learnt something new today.

Is it a manikin or mannequin?

While mannequins model clothing in stores, manikins model medical situations and scenarios. The main difference is that mannequins are stationary models that advertise products, while mannikins are more realistic and anatomically correct models that are capable of simulating real-life medical scenarios.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well ... it was a nice wave to catch sitting up there in 2nd place for a while. Gave us all hope that we were at least in the mix.
Oh well ... not the only team and fans disappointed the wheels fell off their bandwagon this season.

I wonder how much will change for 2025 ... or will Carlton carry on with Business as usual believing they have the team to win Carlton a Premiership in 2025? I don't think so .. only surprise me.

Finals are best for teams showing some form and deserving of the opportunity, not teams losing what is it 6 of the last 7 matches?

Last edited:
Learnt something new today.

Is it a manikin or mannequin?

While mannequins model clothing in stores, manikins model medical situations and scenarios. The main difference is that mannequins are stationary models that advertise products, while mannikins are more realistic and anatomically correct models that are capable of simulating real-life medical scenarios.
Which is why the use of manikin was highly apt in this use case... particularly with the injuries sustained (medical scenarios).

you could argue that both options fit perfectly!
True but Mannequins tend to look pretty and show desire to model the items/clothes in question. We looked down right awful and showed zero desire to football. We made witches hats seem more useful. I get that injuries were horrific and built up, but when 2 of our most injured players staying on the field in pain in Boyd and Acres made continuous efforts, seeing players like Motlop and Pitto who should have been the freshest of all players playing jogging and showing zero fight intent is gut wrenching.

Clear frustration at Kemp. Both Gov and Weitering (and myself). He's peeling off too aggressively and constantly goes for marks when he should spoil. It cost us multiple goals on the weekend.

It's become evident why he was dropped and what the instructions would have been. The Hawks second goal of the game was particularly frustrating - what should have been a fairly rudimentary spoil to the boundary line was instead a fumbled mark and goal to the Hawks.

Maybe it's time for Kemp to go forward and take his marking prowess with him.

Might even happen this weekend.

For every wrong kemp makes how many wrongs does gov make?

Just last week he kicked oob after the siren.

They continue leaving the big forwards to a young kemp when gov is in the team…
Kemp is woeful mate …gov is more experienced so you expect more but gov is 10 times the player kemp will ever be …. Kemp is the biggest liability and lets his teammates down time and again … big forwards small forwards doesn’t matter .. kemp makes way too many mistakes … I say put him forward but he can’t kick

Kemp is woeful mate …gov is more experienced so you expect more but gov is 10 times the player kemp will ever be …. Kemp is the biggest liability and lets his teammates down time and again … big forwards small forwards doesn’t matter .. kemp makes way too many mistakes … I say put him forward but he can’t kick
I wouldn't say woeful...to continue playing in that role he prolly needs to bulk up a little and get his timing right and also when to fist it and when to try and mark it.

Having said that I'm keen to he how he goes as a forward. He loves to leap and can take speckies. Field kicking might be an issue (? not sure) but I think it is mostly to do with indecisiveness rather than a skill/kicking action issue. Kicking for goal he should be fine.

Im hoping we see him up front over next couple of weeks. I think our season is done whether we scrape into finals or not. The injuries are just too many for us to make anything of it.

Been plenty ticked off today over the performance against the Hawks but there is always some room for a little perspective too and sometimes it takes someone a little removed from the situation to help make some sense of it all.

23:40 Talking about Carlton. Some salient points made but there was no excuse for the lack of effort from some.

I don't rate Kingy's analysis much. Says you can't expect the same product with the injuries we have, yet there were only 2 changes on the weekend from the team that beat Geelong by 10 goals 8 weeks ago. TDK is good but I don't think he's worth 14 goals lol (or the 6-8 goals you'd probably say we lose by had players not gone down mid-game).

Last edited:
For every wrong kemp makes how many wrongs does gov make?

Just last week he kicked oob after the siren.

They continue leaving the big forwards to a young kemp when gov is in the team…
Because McGovern is an over-rated footballer.
Always has been.
Didn't want him recruited, want him even less after the last few weeks.
Always injured, can't handle pressure, doesn't lift in big moments.
He needs to play CHF this week. We'll see how that goes.
Hopefully he kicks a few to pump up his trade value.

I wouldn't say woeful...to continue playing in that role he prolly needs to bulk up a little and get his timing right and also when to fist it and when to try and mark it.

Having said that I'm keen to he how he goes as a forward. He loves to leap and can take speckies. Field kicking might be an issue (? not sure) but I think it is mostly to do with indecisiveness rather than a skill/kicking action issue. Kicking for goal he should be fine.

Im hoping we see him up front over next couple of weeks. I think our season is done whether we scrape into finals or not. The injuries are just too many for us to make anything of it.
Woeful is a bit harsh and agree I want to see him forward … I feel he has some attacking flair and would release some pressure … go and try and have fun and kick a few …

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 22 Blues finals hopes sink like a stone

Back