2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Xerri should get the ruck gig
I suppose it depends what you want from your ruckman.

Gawn averages the same hitouts and marginally better hitouts to advantage.

Gawn averages more disposals and effective disposals.

Gawn averages more than double the marks and contested marks.

Gawn has kicked more goals.

But if you prefer tackles and clearances then Xerri is your man. He averages one more clearance (6 to 5) and more tackles.

As for Gawn Versus Marshall ? Gawn gave him one of the biggest thrashings I've ever seen when two good ruckman went head to head. I can give you the stats if you want.

I got this photo from the Saints board after the game:

Max destroys Rowan.png

IN: Jason Horne-Francis, Zak Butters

These 2 have carried Port this season all the way to 2nd on the ladder

They both belong in the AA22

F*** the stats
F*** the player ratings
F*** the media & fan hype
F*** the sheeplike selections

Put ‘em in.
As much as I’d love to agree with you, I don’t think they’ll find a way to get JHF into the 22.
There are just too many mids having outstanding years.

But if they decide on impact and game winning ability and sheer will to generate momentum to winning games, then yeah he’s in the 22.

Darcy Cameron averaged 4.7 intercept possessions a game. Big drop off to Gawn rank 2 (4.0), with another drop off to English rank 3 (3.5) and then Marshall rank 4 (3.3).

Obviously part of that is to do with Cameron staying a kick behind the play while Cox take attacking stoppages as opposed to Cox spending minutes in the ruck unlike other teams, but Cameron still has to get those intercepts.

I'm not entirely sure I'd have picked him ahead of Marshall personally, but I can see the argument.

Zac Guthrie lol, shows where you’re at mate, and I watch plenty of footy. I understand my side is not much good and don’t overate players

He’s not at AA level but he’s not far off it. Will be close to BnF in a side that finished third this year. Has been huge this season and pretending he’s not a very good player is basically admitting you’ve hardly watched him play over the last 18 months.

He’s a game short … 16 is no go apparently
Yes you can miss no more than 7 according to the selectors. Have seen a lot of Taylor this year and he hasn't always been as srong as he was in previous years. He's very good but sometimes gets overrated by reputation. Weitering might get the nods because he's always in the squad.

Yes you can miss no more than 7 according to the selectors. Have seen a lot of Taylor this year and he hasn't always been as srong as he was in previous years. He's very good but sometimes gets overrated by reputation. Weitering might get the nods because he's always in the squad.
He was sluggish coming back after that nasty concussion and testicle injury

Maybe watch some games of footy before you make your judgement.
Hey I get it, you want to defend his inclusion. And like I said I think he's a pretty decent ruck, a real goer who has been very good value pick up for the Pies.

But to say he is the third best ruck in the comp over players like Marshall, Grundy, etc is just bizarre.

Would have been like if the Hawks own Lloyd Meek had of made it. We love Meeksy at the Hawks but none of us realistically think he's the third best ruck in the league!

He’s not at AA level but he’s not far off it. Will be close to BnF in a side that finished third this year. Has been huge this season and pretending he’s not a very good player is basically admitting you’ve hardly watched him play over the last 18 months.
Watched him play, don’t rate him simple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy Cameron over Marshall is crazy, I really don't get that one.

Hey I get it, you want to defend his inclusion. And like I said I think he's a pretty decent ruck, a real goer who has been very good value pick up for the Pies.

But to say he is the third best ruck in the comp over players like Marshall, Grundy, etc is just bizarre.

Would have been like if the Hawks own Lloyd Meek had of made it. We love Meeksy at the Hawks but none of us realistically think he's the third best ruck in the league!
By including him in the 2024 AA Squad is not saying 'he's the 3rd best ruck in the comp. It's saying he's been in the top 3 rucks in 2024.

He'll finish second in Collingwood's best and fairest. Where will Grundy come in Sydney's count? Certainly not ahead of Heeney, Warner, Gulden, Rowbottom and Blakey. I haven't watched enough St. Kilda games to know where Marshall will finish in their count, but Buckley did call him out as the unlucky one to miss.

No Rowan Marshall ? Not even in the 40?
Jesus. He was miles better than Gawn.

It’s always reputation these selections

Callum Wilkie as well. He’s underrated and actually stood up in an otherwise lean St Kilda season.

I suppose it depends what you want from your ruckman.

Gawn averages the same hitouts and marginally better hitouts to advantage.

Gawn averages more disposals and effective disposals.

Gawn averages more than double the marks and contested marks.

Gawn has kicked more goals.

But if you prefer tackles and clearances then Xerri is your man. He averages one more clearance (6 to 5) and more tackles.

As for Gawn Versus Marshall ? Gawn gave him one of the biggest thrashings I've ever seen when two good ruckman went head to head. I can give you the stats if you want.

I got this photo from the Saints board after the game:

View attachment 2092863
Please stop.
Gawn was well down this season. Melbourne weren’t effective. It’s laughable to suggest Marshall and Xerri didn’t have better season.
It’s all reputation now.
Gawn will probably get captain of the AA team to top it off

Flanders and maybe Rowell hard done by from a Suns POV. But we finished quite low down so I am not expecting to get 4 people in the team.

Rayner in there is a laugh though.
Flanders was very stiff. I'd have had him in over a few others, especially given he's shown he can play anywhere and still be very prolific.

Please stop.
Gawn was well down this season. Melbourne weren’t effective. It’s laughable to suggest Marshall and Xerri didn’t have better season.
It’s all reputation now.
Gawn will probably get captain of the AA team to top it off
Nah for me Gawn had his best season in a while. I think he gets marked harshly because he's set ridiculously high standards. Not to mention that he absolutely destroyed Marshall when they both went head to head.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Rolling ALL-Australian Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back