Preview 2024 Round 2 Freo v Roos

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker for Worner is apples and oranges. We already have Clark and Aish running off half back. Walker needs a few more wafl minutes too imo.

Banners held up good enough so I would challenge him to provide the output Worner was. JOM fills banners spot. At the end of the day JOM will be b22 when available for now.

Draper and Voss for the other obvious outs.

Walker for Worner is apples and oranges. We already have Clark and Aish running off half back. Walker needs a few more wafl minutes too imo.

Banners held up good enough so I would challenge him to provide the output Worner was. JOM fills banners spot. At the end of the day JOM will be b22 when available for now.

Draper and Voss for the other obvious outs.
Fair enough. You're saying it gets down to whether JOM (with a shuffle of positions) or Walker (with no shuffle) replaces Worner. I'd prefer Walker myself but see your point

Davies more as a KPD but Ryan is much better than both in that role still. I'll be shocked if they dont give Draper the nod after his preseason to be honest
You're as high on and as knowledgeable about Davies as anyone I've seen on the board, so a query I have. His draft profiles suggested him as an intercept type that brings it out of defence but struggles with one-on-one defending. By the end of the first season, however, he seemed to not really have that intercept game or be someone you'd be particularly confident about bringing the ball out of defence (at least at WAFL seniors level, he got a lot of the ball at WAFL reserves in his few games there), but the one-on-one defence had generally improved (Ben Sokol being probably his highlight scalp). However, he seemed to have issues against the big slow key fwds at WAFL level (Keitel had a game on him I believe).

The club at the very least have seen enough in him to give him the 2 year deal, so there's something there. So I guess my 2 part question:
  1. Do you think he'll ever get that intercept game and/or be a reliable option to bring the ball out of defence at the highest level?
  2. Do you think he is currently or can eventually be someone who you trust physically against an AFL key fwd?

You're as high on and as knowledgeable about Davies as anyone I've seen on the board, so a query I have. His draft profiles suggested him as an intercept type that brings it out of defence but struggles with one-on-one defending. By the end of the first season, however, he seemed to not really have that intercept game or be someone you'd be particularly confident about bringing the ball out of defence (at least at WAFL seniors level, he got a lot of the ball at WAFL reserves in his few games there), but the one-on-one defence had generally improved (Ben Sokol being probably his highlight scalp). However, he seemed to have issues against the big slow key fwds at WAFL level (Keitel had a game on him I believe).

The club at the very least have seen enough in him to give him the 2 year deal, so there's something there. So I guess my 2 part question:
  1. Do you think he'll ever get that intercept game and/or be a reliable option to bring the ball out of defence at the highest level?
  2. Do you think he is currently or can eventually be someone who you trust physically against an AFL key fwd?
I to and fro on Davies at this stage to be honest. To specifically answer your questions first
1) I've never seen this intercept game his profile spoke of but we'll see how he goes this year I suppose. He COULD be a reliable option out of defence but we'd need to see experience play a large role in fixing his decision making. He is kind of laconic in decision making and is prone to a howler or two every game (1st year KPD though so not unexpected). His kicking I think his mechanically fine but is impacted by this decision making. As I think more, he will never be as good as Ryan, Chapman or Draper in this regard. He could be a KPD you trust to kick the ball and not **** it up but that's about it
2) I think because his best trait in his aggression and competitiveness, he could play on the 2nd KPD at AFL level with a few more preseasons under his belt, he will never be big enough to play on the number 1 KPFs.

Size hurt him last year, a few more preseasons should see that not be an issue. While it's not a big scalp these days, he was very good against Tabs in a preseason game

Last edited:
Man, I would have loved to have Darcy this game to see what Amiss and Jackson can do against Corr and Pink. Would have be pretty fun to watch.

This game is simple, win it in the middle, win the game. They will attack at all costs and try to make it a shoot out. I watched a lot of the GWS/North game and GWS were in cruize control for a lot of the game but North seems as expected, fantastic talent in the middle that needs to play out of their skins to keep it out of a backline that's just not at the level.

Fit Pearce will be a perfect match-up with Larkey (just need to watch for the free-kicks) and losing our 2nd and 3rd best KPDs shouldnt hurt us this week. Duursma will need a good match-up, probably Ryan or Hughes

You have to imagine there will almost certainly be a debutant this week between Draper, Voss and Simpson where you could feasibly fit any two of them in given the outs. Will probably just be the one though.

You could feasibly play JOM as the "third tall", he does play taller than he is. I imagine he could play similar to what Cox just did.

Draper, Walker, JOM the ins for the obvious 3 outs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to imagine there will almost certainly be a debutant this week between Draper, Voss and Simpson where you could feasibly fit any two of them in given the outs. Will probably just be the one though.

You could feasibly play JOM as the "third tall", he does play taller than he is. I imagine he could play similar to what Cox just did.

would love to see a 29 actually play a game for the first time since Pav

Does Will Brodie get another chance?

MRP findings are in. Walters got a fine, Fyfe with no case to answer. Johnson also got a fine for a rough conduct charge in the 4th (not sure what incident that was referring to)
Love that Johnson has a bit of mongrel in him.

Seems to be a trait they are encouraging in the mids, Serong doesn’t mind a bit of biff, Young won’t start it but won’t back down. But seeing Fyfe getting stuck in a bit on the weekend was new, and Brayshaw is the guy you want your daughter to marry, but even he showed glimpses late last year.

JOM as a 3rd tall is a stretch.

Frederick would be ok, but neither of them appear capable of bringing the ball to ground 2 v 1 like Walters can do.

Josh Draper as the 3rd tall (Ryan taking 2nd tall) may be ok. He would probably be shown up defensively, as it sounds like he is at WAFL level.

I can Voss coming in, and playing 3rd forward or a ruck at Jackson going forward. I think Voss is the better option, as we can't afford to lose the midfield battle, although Xerri is not an A Grader.

It will be interesting to see how we structure up, as it will be a battle between maintaining structure and getting quality on the field.

JOM as a 3rd tall is a stretch.

Frederick would be ok, but neither of them appear capable of bringing the ball to ground 2 v 1 like Walters can do.

Josh Draper as the 3rd tall (Ryan taking 2nd tall) may be ok. He would probably be shown up defensively, as it sounds like he is at WAFL level.

I can Voss coming in, and playing 3rd forward or a ruck at Jackson going forward. I think Voss is the better option, as we can't afford to lose the midfield battle, although Xerri is not an A Grader.

It will be interesting to see how we structure up, as it will be a battle between maintaining structure and getting quality on the field.
I'd agree it's a stretch but their opinion of Voss and Tabs appears low enough to play an underdone Cox up front instead...

They might go to Voss or Tabs but I wouldnt rule out JOM playing that role instead

Banfield was playing defence in the last quarter. Could throw him back again.
Pearce, Ryan, Young, Clark, Walker, Banfield.
Unfortunately Young goes back until Chapman comes back
Young is not moving out of the midfield

I'd agree it's a stretch but their opinion of Voss and Tabs appears low enough to play an underdone Cox up front instead...

They might go to Voss or Tabs but I wouldnt rule out JOM playing that role instead

It's possible that they were super impressed with McDonald and wanted to reward his form more than the other two

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 Round 2 Freo v Roos

Back