VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon and Corey Enright have been able to develop a strong system based on interceptions and transition out of defense.

It clearly works, even though we have struggled with the final parts of the game plan (forward connection and set shot accuracy). Over the course of the season we have improved though, and hopefully we can continue that trend into 2025.

However, we are often unable to halt opposition momentum, especially against teams who dominate us at stoppage.

We also struggle to build momentum against teams that we should beat everyday of the week, like Richmond and West Coast because we still can’t dominate in the middle.

We have two options. Trade for some classy mids in the right age demographic and challenge now.

Or got the draft and plan for a serious 2027 tilt.

If we can’t get an LDU, Andrew Brayshaw, Noah Anderson, Finn Callaghan type to commit this year then we should just bank the two best stoppage midfielders at this draft.

We really, really need two classy midfielders who can get first hands to the ball and form a tight bond with Phillipou, Henry, Windhager, Garcia, Wilson, and Byrnes.

We should also trade someone to get a late first rounder so we can pick the best ruck in this draft.

King, Sharman, Caminiti, Owens, Higgins is a forward line that can already compete and if we can bring on Keeler and Collard we could be really potent.

Nas, Hastie, Schoenmaker, Stocker down back are in the right age demographic. But if Battle doesn’t stay and Cole or Van Es doesn’t become an AFL’er then we will be chasing back men.

Kuek will probably fall off the Fremantle list, but he has got genuine X-Factor in my book, and is a power athlete. Hampered by injury but could be a great pick up, with our medical team behind him.

I’ve said this before, but if you wanted one out of the box then Bailey J Williams at West Coast has all the tools to be solid key back. Tank, agility, combative, good hands.

He’s been played primarily as a ruck but is way out of his depth there. WC keep hinting they think he’s a key forward long term but he ain’t that either. I really believe Enright could transform him into an outstanding key back and his age profile fits.

If we go to the draft then Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie, Wood, Howard, Hill, Webster, Butler, Membrey will all be in the twilight of their careers by the time we’re ready to challenge for a premiership. They’re important culture builders, but we shouldn’t be afraid to cut one loose if they can help us fill in the gaps. Especially if we can get players like Parker without eroding our draft position.

Marshall is the only one we can’t afford to loose in my opinion. We have no depth to support him.

Heath will be 22 next year. Marshall played 12 games at that age and his talent was recognisable. Heath won’t ever be better than Tom Campbell based on what I’ve seen. Cut TC and let Heath take the VFL reins, but I won’t be expecting him to ever push Marshall out on form.

Time to make some aggressive moves in my book.

Pay out Crouch. Cut Tom Campbell, and fit him in to our development team. Cut or trade Jack Hayes, Cut Paton, send off Seb Ross (could also fit into our development team) unless he can get another gig elsewhere. Trade Zak Jones if he has any takers, otherwise cut. Zak has made a nice comeback but he ain’t taking us to Mecca. Trade or release Membrey. Cut Allison. Lose Battle.

Peatling, Parker via trade and free agency.

Draper, Langford, Dodson, Moraes, Peckett, Cole.
Harsh but probably fair

Ross Lyon and Corey Enright have been able to develop a strong system based on interceptions and transition out of defense.

It clearly works, even though we have struggled with the final parts of the game plan (forward connection and set shot accuracy). Over the course of the season we have improved though, and hopefully we can continue that trend into 2025.

However, we are often unable to halt opposition momentum, especially against teams who dominate us at stoppage.

We also struggle to build momentum against teams that we should beat everyday of the week, like Richmond and West Coast because we still can’t dominate in the middle.

We have two options. Trade for some classy mids in the right age demographic and challenge now.

Or got the draft and plan for a serious 2027 tilt.

If we can’t get an LDU, Andrew Brayshaw, Noah Anderson, Finn Callaghan type to commit this year then we should just bank the two best stoppage midfielders at this draft.

We really, really need two classy midfielders who can get first hands to the ball and form a tight bond with Phillipou, Henry, Windhager, Garcia, Wilson, and Byrnes.

We should also trade someone to get a late first rounder so we can pick the best ruck in this draft.

King, Sharman, Caminiti, Owens, Higgins is a forward line that can already compete and if we can bring on Keeler and Collard we could be really potent.

Nas, Hastie, Schoenmaker, Stocker down back are in the right age demographic. But if Battle doesn’t stay and Cole or Van Es doesn’t become an AFL’er then we will be chasing back men.

Kuek will probably fall off the Fremantle list, but he has got genuine X-Factor in my book, and is a power athlete. Hampered by injury but could be a great pick up, with our medical team behind him.

I’ve said this before, but if you wanted one out of the box then Bailey J Williams at West Coast has all the tools to be solid key back. Tank, agility, combative, good hands.

He’s been played primarily as a ruck but is way out of his depth there. WC keep hinting they think he’s a key forward long term but he ain’t that either. I really believe Enright could transform him into an outstanding key back and his age profile fits.

If we go to the draft then Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie, Wood, Howard, Hill, Webster, Butler, Membrey will all be in the twilight of their careers by the time we’re ready to challenge for a premiership. They’re important culture builders, but we shouldn’t be afraid to cut one loose if they can help us fill in the gaps. Especially if we can get players like Parker without eroding our draft position.

Marshall is the only one we can’t afford to loose in my opinion. We have no depth to support him.

Heath will be 22 next year. Marshall played 12 games at that age and his talent was recognisable. Heath won’t ever be better than Tom Campbell based on what I’ve seen. Cut TC and let Heath take the VFL reins, but I won’t be expecting him to ever push Marshall out on form.

Pay out Crouch. Cut Tom Campbell, and fit him in to our development team. Cut or trade Jack Hayes, Cut Paton, send off Seb Ross (could also fit into our development team) unless he can get another gig elsewhere. Trade Zak Jones if he has any takers, otherwise cut. Zak has made a nice comeback but he ain’t taking us to Mecca. Trade or release Membrey. Cut Allison. Lose Battle.

Rucks in short supply this year.
Dodson hasn't yet made his big "Footy or Basketball" decision , which really only leaves Whitlock as a fwd/ruck in that range.
If Dodson chooses footy could someone else reach for him earlier, due to the lack of alternatives?

Dodson hasn't yet made his big "Footy or Basketball" decision , which really only leaves Whitlock as a fwd/ruck in that range.
If Dodson chooses footy could someone else reach for him earlier, due to the lack of alternatives?
Delist TC, keep Heath and add Ajang Kol mun.

Only starts playing AFL last year with Anakie, then starts this year off with 5 OK games at Geelong VF, then mysteriously disappears back to Anakie - and now invited to the combine.

206 cm ruck/fwd

Not sure who there is after Dodson or what their pedigree is like to be honest. But we need a solid backup ruck while Heath continues his growth.

I must say I hadnt heard of Rebit Kuek before you raised him, he definitely has those Sudanese athletic traits and at 199cm would make an interesting prospect. I havent seen him play other than the below highlights but I guess he can run through the ruck aswell. Given that Freo now have a number of key forwards firing I wonder if he will get delisted after knee & shoulder injuries - be worth a look.

Last edited:
Until Sandy bring in some better VFL-listed mids, they will continued to be totally reliant on St Kilda's injury list to be minimal

Without fringe Saints in the midfield they struggled bigtime
Why don't we just bite the bullet and establish our own VFL team? The alliance has not worked. Simple.

Neither Sandringham, nor the Saints have benefited from it. Sandringham, a traditional power club in the old VFA/VFL has become an irrelevance, simply making up the ever increasing numbers in the VFL. Our descent into irrelevance mirrors theirs.

If funds is the major block to this, tell Fred and the board to get busy finding a solution. The club's mid to long term success depends on it (at least partially).

Why don't we just bite the bullet and establish our own VFL team? The alliance has not worked. Simple.

Neither Sandringham, nor the Saints have benefited from it. Sandringham, a traditional power club in the old VFA/VFL has become an irrelevance, simply making up the ever increasing numbers in the VFL. Our descent into irrelevance mirrors theirs.

If funds is the major block to this, tell Fred and the board to get busy finding a solution. The club's mid to long term success depends on it (at least partially).

What factors in the alliance do you suggest would be remedied by our own VFL team?
Funds are already the limiting factor at Sandringham. You'd make it worse for both the Saints and the Zebras.

I think they'd be crazy to trade them up, but who knows.
They need lots and lots of picks.
We don't know what picks they will get with the players that are rumoured to be leaving,but Jagga Smith and Finn O'Sullivan have already played in their VFL side and they wanted to have Murphy Reid play a game for them this week,but it got knocked back
So you would think Tigers a keen on them and all 3 are a chance to be very early picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't know what picks they will get with the players that are rumoured to be leaving,but Jagga Smith and Finn O'Sullivan have already played in their VFL side and they wanted to have Murphy Reid play a game for them this week,but it got knocked back
So you would think Tigers a keen on them and all 3 are a chance to be very early picks

Richmond, WC, Adelaide would all be looking at best available midfielders for sure.

North possibly the outlier and may reach for Trainor given their current list profile?

Interesting that Richmond have asked for Reid to get a run which may speak to how highly recruiters are rating him in this draft mix.

Richmond, WC, Adelaide would all be looking at best available midfielders for sure.

North possibly the outlier and may reach for Trainor given their current list profile?

Interesting that Richmond have asked for Reid to get a run which may speak to how highly recruiters are rating him in this draft mix.
Harvey Langford has been named for Tigers VFL

Some clubs rate Reid in the top 5. We have to hope one of them are below us on the ladder so a FOS or Jagga could slide to us. As good as Langford is, one of the other two is next level

Like it or not, think there will be a massive clean out at the club this year, last year we made the finals, so no dramatic moves were made, after a disappointing campaign this year, think the knife will fall for up to 10 players..

Not good enough/can’t be trusted: Allison, Paton, O’Connell,

O'Connell is not going anywhere. This was only his first year of playing AFL after coming from Ireland, so he is still learning from a long way back.

You would have had the great Jim Stynes shown the door too!

Stynes arrived in Australia in Nov 1984. Was sent to Prahran at one stage. Debuted in 1987, and was in and out of the team initially before becoming a regular and later a champion.

Misson spoke about him at the club this week and he said the club was very pleased with his progress, and that yes he still needed to learn the game more and develop more. He also said that he had a great attitude, and that he could even see him possibly having a debut game next season.

Misson also said that the club was still looking at Ireland for players.

I doubt Howard is going anywhere unless we can get a genuine FB from somewhere which seems unlikely. Even moreso if Battle goes. Plus our priority needs to be mids.

Only way for Howard to go would be if another club offered us overs, and no club was interested last trade period.
If so maybe we make do wit Caminiti for a season.

Last edited:
Cut Hotton next year after he finds some power in his legs and works out his positioning at stoppage.

Reckon if Keeler doesn’t nail down a position next year, we can’t afford to not to replace him with another 18yo developing forward ruck from Victoria.

Allison let’s cut now because he’s only improved 165% from last season, not quite a pass mark given HOW LoNG he’s been on the list for already joizas. Bloke is just taking up space improving at not quite break neck speed.

We should give O’Connell another two years though at least to see if he can debut.

Cut Hotton next year after he finds some power in his legs and works out his positioning at stoppage.

Reckon if Keeler doesn’t nail down a position next year, we can’t afford to not to replace him with another 18yo developing forward ruck from Victoria.

Allison let’s cut now because he’s only improved 165% from last season, not quite a pass mark given HOW LoNG he’s been on the list for already joizas. Bloke is just taking up space improving at not quite break neck speed.

We should give O’Connell another two years though at least to see if he can debut.
Keeler has a position, forward/ruck. he was too slight to go into the ruck earlier in the year and was swung down back to better his forward craft.

this is development 101

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back