Review 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they should play a game at the scg or Henson park during the Easter show, as that gap in time is an absolute killer, however, what these media people don't realise is, there is a train line being built directly to Olympic park, which will turbo charge the giants crowds in a few years time.

Now I hope the afl and club are targeting all the primary schools close to that new line now, so that when it's complete, those kids can easily access the ground and become fully fledged giants fans (but are they smart enough to do so? history says no on that).

I also think there is a real issue with the bright red seats and people standing up the back instead of sitting in their seats, making the stadium look more empty than it actually is. That issue needs to be addressed, as perception is everything these days. I spoke to the club about this early 2023 and they agreed, yet they still haven't done anything about it, which is disappointing.
Put a blockbuster on at Accor Stadium on Good Friday, make it a day game and anyone that goes to the game gets to go to the Easter Show for the evening or have it Easter Monday if NRL do their fixturing before us

Put a blockbuster on at Accor Stadium on Good Friday, make it a day game and anyone that goes to the game gets to go to the Easter Show for the evening or have it Easter Monday if NRL do their fixturing before us

The expense of getting the ground up to AFL standard for one game is likely going to be prohibitive, I'm afraid.

That and the public doesn't quite embrace that stadium unless they absolutely have to go there. A lot of work will be reqhuired to get people to turn out even for a blockbuster.

It's not insurmountable but it's got much to overcome when the SCG is essentially ready to go.

Last edited:
They did that once (minus the Good Friday part). It was a really good day out.

I don't mind this idea, piggy back off the Easter show crowd, give them free access to the game, it might get some newbies interested that are already in the precinct.

It does open the club up to further criticism though if the crowd is poor coz the stadium is so big, the media already got upset about a few spare seats the other night. The other thing is, I wonder if the stadium can be converted in season to AFL size?

It does open the club up to further criticism though if the crowd is poor coz the stadium is so big, the media already got upset about a few spare seats the other night. The other thing is, I wonder if the stadium can be converted in season to AFL size?
Stadium Australia was built so that it could be converted to an oval with similar dimensions to GMHBA Stadium. The Swans played 3-4 home games there between 2002-2015.

There were constant problems with the surface, especially after an NRL match, and a lot of noise from Swans supporters who never considered it a home ground.

For me, it will always be the site of our first finals win.

I also think there is a real issue with the bright red seats
The red seats are quite hideous but other than that it's a great stadium for watching footy.

How do we feel about using the Cumberland Stand as part of a GA Membership? I also think the club could up the 3 game GA Membership to 4 games which would be better value for around $100.

Stadium Australia was built so that it could be converted to an oval with similar dimensions to GMHBA Stadium. The Swans played 3-4 home games there between 2002-2015.

There were constant problems with the surface, especially after an NRL match, and a lot of noise from Swans supporters who never considered it a home ground.

For me, it will always be the site of our first finals win.

Yeah I remember someone sliding onto a bolt behind the goals one game. I was more referring to though, making the adjustments for one game, with all the seating, line marking, goal posts etc. I imagine it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare for the stadium. Although I'm sure they use to do it back when the swans played there if it were 3 games a year and the nrl were playing there most weekends too.

The red seats are quite hideous but other than that it's a great stadium for watching footy.

How do we feel about using the Cumberland Stand as part of a GA Membership? I also think the club could up the 3 game GA Membership to 4 games which would be better value for around $100.

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing people filtered into the Cumberland stand more. The club I know doesn't like members sitting on that side though coz it's more exposed to the elements. NRL clubs in Sydney use signage to cover over bays of empty seats I've noticed, it's not great but I think it looks better than a whole stand being empty right in camera shot for the whole game.

The club I know doesn't like members sitting on that side though coz it's more exposed to the elements.
It's a really awful experience for afternoon games.

The club I know doesn't like members sitting on that side though coz it's more exposed to the elements.
Yes but it would be nice to have the option as a GA Member. If the club is serious about getting bigger crowds then it needs to think outside the box a little more. They've been doing the same thing for years and it hasn't worked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back