Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

I never wanted him as captain. Had so much talent but never put in hard enough for Port. He did not lead by example.

The fact that he balked at the idea of being the main man in the midfield at Port Adelaide to go and swan around the half back playing bruise free footy at Hawthorn says all you need to know about what he's like as a player.

He'll go into the Hall of Fame, no doubt, with 1 AA guernsey (won at Port) and 0 B&Fs to his name. Almost unheard of apart from Mark Bickley.

I have watched the first quarter of Friday night's game this arvo and we were so switched on. Will watch the rest soon.

I couldn't help but think, did we put the queue in the rack in the last quarter, or even before 3/4 time last week QF, so that we could concentrate on Friday night's game?

I'm not saying it was a directive from Ken, but did some of the players basically preserve themselves for the SF, knowing the cupboard is pretty bare, and 19 or 20 of the players knew they wouldn't be dropped??
At our place we were saying there was no way they could keep that intensity level for 4 quarters, and I think that's what it came down to. Players were visibly stuffed, but the effort didn't drop the whole game. If the oppo hadn't been granted three successive goals through nothing frees in Q2, it would have been over at HT.

The real strength was how well everyone held it together during that period, where they basically couldn't get a call. I guess we're used to playing through biased umpiring.

Agree with your comments about the inclusion of young players and what they can bring. The challenge is whether it can be sustained over a few weeks, especially with the roller-coaster highs and lows of emotions during a testing finals series. I'd love to think that the same young half-back flankers will bring the same intensity this week against Sydney, but I doubt it tbh. I think it's up to the older players (Wines, Boak, Drew, DBJ, Aliir, Rozee, Butters, Rioli) to make sure that the standards are still high.
The thing is we've had that intensity since the big loss to the Lions in the middle of the year.

We lost our intensity against the Cats in that first final but the boys during the week definitely focussed on good, hard tackling and strong pressure and was rewarded with the win. The thing is our team is actually quite good at it when they want to do it.

Everyone has to keep that pressure going into Sydney from the captain to the young sub when he comes on but it starts in the middle. None of this the good players have to lead the way. All 22 have to up and running from the first bounce.

And truth be told, that win against the Hawks should solidify a bit more into the team that they can win the whole thing when they are focused on playing strong two way play because the Hawks were on fire and they shut the cockpit door on them.

And I'll say as a team overall we are still in about 3 and half gear with lots of improving to do.

At our place we were saying there was no way they could keep that intensity level for 4 quarters, and I think that's what it came down to. Players were visibly stuffed, but the effort didn't drop the whole game. If the oppo hadn't been granted three successive goals through nothing frees in Q2, it would have been over at HT.

The real strength was how well everyone held it together during that period, where they basically couldn't get a call. I guess we're used to playing through biased umpiring.
Kane was saying that JHF played the most game time he has ever played which is probably why that massive body cramp .

Kane was saying that JHF played the most game time he has ever played which is probably why that massive body cramp .
Horses for courses, but a bit of an indictment on our footy club that plenty of other third year players are playing out more game time on the regular.

Seems to have been a long term theme with us though, much less TOG for our stars compared to other teams.

Horses for courses, but a bit of an indictment on our footy club that plenty of other third year players are playing out more game time on the regular.

Seems to have been a long term theme with us though, much less TOG for our stars compared to other teams.
Wines has been like that his whole career. Always has played less TOG than I'd expect.

You're making an issue out of nothing.

Jason came to the club with a problem in his legs that Norf failed to diagnose. He was dealing with debilitating pain, so it's not a surprise that his gametime is slightly behind what it could be.

“It wasn’t that bad an offence. Don’t single this one man out again and make us all sit back now for three days and talk about Ken Hinkley.”

King had harsher words for Hawks coach Sam Mitchell, who he said reacted ‘really poorly’ in a tense post-match press conference discussing the incident.

“Hawthorn have been asking for this,” King said.

“They’ve been asking for the whack between the eyes, for someone to fire back, and you know what? Someone did.

“Sam Mitchell’s handled himself really poorly – the carry on there was just wrong.

“He should have just said, ‘I need to talk to Jack. This is more on us than on them’.”

I actually loved the theatre that Ginnivan & Hinkley created, it’s great for the game & adds some much needed colour & personality to what’s becoming a very sanitised product.

Does Ginnivan get everything right? Absolutely not, but I reckon Jack Cahill would have loved him if he was under his tutelage.

It appears Friday has birthed a new rivalry between the two sides which is good for both supporter groups. If the AFL doesn’t open next years Gather Round with Port v Hawthorn, they should sack the entire Fixture department.

I actually loved the theatre that Ginnivan & Hinkley created, it’s great for the game & adds some much needed colour & personality to what’s becoming a very sanitised product.

Does Ginnivan get everything right? Absolutely not, but I reckon Jack Cahill would have loved him if he was under his tutelage.

It appears Friday has birthed a new rivalry between the two sides which is good for both supporter groups. If the AFL doesn’t open next years Gather Round with Port v Hawthorn, they should sack the entire Fixture department.
And the return game will be in Launceston & not the MCG. You can see it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big brain strat from Ken, he ain’t leaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THERE was one team across the semi-finals that was clearly the youngest and least experienced – and it wasn't Hawthorn.

Port Adelaide's side that held off the Hawks at Adelaide Oval was on average the youngest and had the fewest games played across the do-or-die clashes, as Power coach Ken Hinkley's call to back in youth paid off.

But on one of the biggest stages, the Power's youngsters played pivotal roles, with Logan Evans' dash off half-back important in lieu of Dan Houston and Kane Farrell, Josh Sinn coming in to add hardness and speed in defence and Jase Burgoyne producing a career-best performance.

Port's selected 23 players had an average age of 25 years and 37 days, which was on average half a month younger than the Hawks, whose youth has been rightly celebrated in their unlikely run to the final six.

The Power also averaged the fewest games played across the round at 95.3 a player, in comparison to the Hawks' average of 102 games.

It shows that while the Power have been regularly in contention over the past five years – they have won the second most home and away games of all clubs in that period and are now into their third preliminary final since 2020 – they have continued to add younger players to their group.

The Power and Hawks both had seven players who had played 50 games or less in the game, while Port had 15 players under 100 games to Hawthorn's 13.

The difference in demographics was evident compared to the other semi-final between Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney, where the Lions had an average of 26 years and five months and 138.2 games played, and the Giants had an average of 26 years and five months and 120.8 games.

The Lions had the most finals experience of the semi-final teams, with Brisbane's finals tally up to 245 games following the weekend. The Giants (203 games) were next ahead of Port (130) and Hawthorn (104).

Ala a number of others I too would be happy to see the back of S. Burgoyne.

There were suspicions of him spitting the dummy when he was over looked for the Port captaincy as in some games during his last season at Alberton he sometimes appeared to be only half interested.
I suspect there will always be doubts that some of the injuries when he was a late withdrawal from the team may have been imaginary as well.

I don't know if any of his kids will be AFL quality, but if they are I am of the opinion he is likely to push them in the direction of the mayblooms anyway!

Ala a number of others I too would be happy to see the back of S. Burgoyne.

There were suspicions of him spitting the dummy when he was over looked for the Port captaincy as in some games during his last season at Alberton he sometimes appeared to be only half interested.
I suspect there will always be doubts that some of the injuries when he was a late withdrawal from the team may have been imaginary as well.

I don't know if any of his kids will be AFL quality, but if they are I am of the opinion he is likely to push them in the direction of the mayblooms anyway!
Reckon you're spot on '54

THERE was one team across the semi-finals that was clearly the youngest and least experienced – and it wasn't Hawthorn.

Port Adelaide's side that held off the Hawks at Adelaide Oval was on average the youngest and had the fewest games played across the do-or-die clashes, as Power coach Ken Hinkley's call to back in youth paid off.

But on one of the biggest stages, the Power's youngsters played pivotal roles, with Logan Evans' dash off half-back important in lieu of Dan Houston and Kane Farrell, Josh Sinn coming in to add hardness and speed in defence and Jase Burgoyne producing a career-best performance.

Port's selected 23 players had an average age of 25 years and 37 days, which was on average half a month younger than the Hawks, whose youth has been rightly celebrated in their unlikely run to the final six.

The Power also averaged the fewest games played across the round at 95.3 a player, in comparison to the Hawks' average of 102 games.

It shows that while the Power have been regularly in contention over the past five years – they have won the second most home and away games of all clubs in that period and are now into their third preliminary final since 2020 – they have continued to add younger players to their group.

The Power and Hawks both had seven players who had played 50 games or less in the game, while Port had 15 players under 100 games to Hawthorn's 13.

The difference in demographics was evident compared to the other semi-final between Brisbane and Greater Western Sydney, where the Lions had an average of 26 years and five months and 138.2 games played, and the Giants had an average of 26 years and five months and 120.8 games.

The Lions had the most finals experience of the semi-final teams, with Brisbane's finals tally up to 245 games following the weekend. The Giants (203 games) were next ahead of Port (130) and Hawthorn (104).

Dixon out/Lorenz in would have swung it.

Player development and indigenous I'd say.

Get Peter Burgoyne and have Wanganeen be that role. Heck, bring Choppy into that fold too.

Let Shaun do what he wants because it's been clear he goes for hawks. You'd think his wife and the Philips wouldn't like that but meh 🤷
There would be plenty of club staff at various levels in all clubs who have had playing careers at other clubs. Most of them would have a soft spot for their former clubs. Shaun played the majority of his games at Hawthorn and that’s what his kids would have grown up with. As long as he’s doing a good job with our indigenous players then that’s all we need to worry about.

Just watching the replay again looking more closely at the umpiring. Sheesh that Jones tackle decision was a shocker, especially given where it was. If you'd lost a GF on that you'd be completely stiffed. If it had been the other way and was the difference between the sides, we'd still be hearing about it. Absolutely textbook execution from Jones.

HTB was more consistently applied, which really helped our run especially in Q1. After the first Hawks goal (also from a nothing free kick which wouldn't be awarded 9 times out of 10, especially as the defender wouldn't have gotten to the contest anyway) the umpiring really did seem to turn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back