Review Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Those Freo fans should learn a few rules . Carried on like Romans at the Colosseum every time there was a blatant Port free kick. Umps got sucked in a bit
I went to this game, the crowd were going off their chops at everything that went against Freo. It must have been the panic of missing finals, but they were one of the biggest sooky crowds I've been a part of.

Watching them leave after the Rioli goal is now my favourite non-final moment of watching live footy.

I was surprised by that DE stat, I assume it's because he gets the ball in tight and bangs it forward to advantage if not to a target. I didn't recall many turnovers.

I liked his game, much better than the past couple of weeks. Gets low to the ground, takes the ball cleanly and turned a few players inside out with his movement.
His kicking accuracy the last 2 weeks is 33%. But it felt like against the Crows he was all panic. This week he played with more purpose.

Hey tribey i don’t mind Justin Longmuir but his tenure right now looks eerily similar to Hinkley 2015-2019.

That whole situation was a glitch from the umps. How the hell was he allowed to barrel into a player with his back turned when he was clearly out of bounds? The play on call was just as baffling.
I thought the best result yesterday would've been keeping second spot, and having Freo knock Carlton out of the eight. All the big Victorian teams missing out was hilarious.

But I wanted to see the game ending in a positive way for Port, so us getting the last score in the game to create a draw.

But after seeing Ryan's hit on Georgiades. **** them. I'm happy that Carlton are playing Finals and Freo aren't.

Unheralded that's imo what helped us get over the line yesterday and will ultimately get us there if we make it.

You expect Horney, Butters, Willie etc to produce

But it was the players that basically no one in AFL.media know of or taki about in any depth that stood up bloody tall.

Bergman .... Plays a foot above his height such a good footballer.

Logan Evans. Damn this kid has such poise

Sweet ... Giving consistent effort , you can see it means something to him and is actually a bloody good field kick .

DBJ.... He is someone you can count on again.

Drew.... blankets the oppositions best player and gets the ball himself.

Burgoyne ..... Lion hearted and gets in great spots.

Special mention to Burton for yesterday...cometh the hour..... Well done.

JHF , Butters Rozee ,Georgie, Willie Ollie Allir BZT and the chuck wagon are going to have to have a .mighty finals series for us to go all the way but if we do the love for those other guys will be what I think will fill.my soul.

Unheralded that's imo what helped us get over the line yesterday and will ultimately get us there if we make it.

You expect Horney, Butters, Willie etc to produce

But it was the players that basically no one in AFL.media know of or taki about in any depth that stood up bloody tall.

Bergman .... Plays a foot above his height such a good footballer.

Logan Evans. Damn this kid has such poise

Sweet ... Giving consistent effort , you can see it means something to him and is actually a bloody good field kick .

DBJ.... He is someone you can count on again.

Drew.... blankets the oppositions best player and gets the ball himself.

Burgoyne ..... Lion hearted and gets in great spots.

Special mention to Burton for yesterday...cometh the hour..... Well done.

JHF , Butters Rozee ,Georgie, Willie Ollie Allir BZT and the chuck wagon are going to have to have a .mighty finals series for us to go all the way but if we do the love for those other guys will be what I think will fill.my soul.

Just on Burgoyne, others have noted this before but the other players must love having him out there. The amount of times he works hard to get into space and become that outlet player is invaluable. If he can get his kicking right we have a serious player on our hands

Just on Burgoyne, others have noted this before but the other players must love having him out there. The amount of times he works hard to get into space and become that outlet player is invaluable. If he can get his kicking right we have a serious player on our hands
Kicking is a difficult thing to correct when you reach this level.
Should have been sorted out at junior level.
Best we can hope is his kicking gets to an acceptable standard.
If he can do that and with his pace and footy skills he can be a very good player without being elite.

I’d like to see the our list sucks comment in black and white and in what content it was said in.
I just had a read of it, basically saying the list wasn’t one of the best in the competition.
It’s not saying it sucks but still not a smart thing to say.
Semantics! They might not have used "sucks" as an adjective, but the anger directed towards Hinkley & Davies, is that, regardless of what words they used, they blamed the players for our past failures, when clearly, the problem lay elsewhere!

Hinkley has repeatedly called the players out at press conferences, and Davies has backed him up with comments about us drafting to correct the failures in our last finals.

They just refused to accept any blame on coaches, game plan, poor selections, etc

Last edited:
Semantics! They might not have used "sucks" as an adjective, but the anger directed towards Hinkley & Davies, is that, regardless of what words they used, they blamed the players for our past failures, when clearly, the problem lay elsewhere!
The problem lays with everyone especially after that pea hearted display in the Dogs Preliminary final.
Players got booed off the ground for a good reason.
I hope that sticks in there minds especially for our captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking is a difficult thing to correct when you reach this level.
Should have been sorted out at junior level.
Best we can hope is his kicking gets to an acceptable standard.
If he can do that and with his pace and footy skills he can be a very good player without being elite.
Hope we aren’t relying on his goal kicking in the finals.. he might be the worst set shot in the side, and that includes rata, boak and wines..

The Hornet and Butters played out of their minds.
Unbelievable pressure from the boys, especially in the last quarter. Brilliant.
Bergman, Allir and Zerk excellent in defence.

I was a huge fan of our Houston replacement.... not Burton, but Logan Evans.
Logan Evans was very, very, very good down back. To take the role and excel after a handful of games was super impressive.
Zerk was awesome and intercepted all night but especially in the first.

A few concerns.
We desperately need a contested marking forward.
Rozee is playing decent but not AA.
Apart from Willie, our small forwards aren't the best.
Jed not the best.

Our defence is super tight. Very good considering no Houston and Farrell.
Our midfield is hard and pressures so well. It helps the defence.
Sweet was sweet.
Really full on last quarter with brilliant team play and Willie putting Freo to sleep.

We are definitely playing a different brand of football than before the Lions loss and it is called finals footy.

I liked Will Schofield as special comments and Pav was pretty good as well.

The problem lays with everyone especially after that pea hearted display in the Dogs Preliminary final.
Players got booed off the ground for a good reason.
I hope that sticks in there minds especially for our captain.
Of course the players bear some blame ... But that wasnt the point!

The fact is, they blamed the LIST!!!! Very different to blaming the players for having a bad game. Hinkley and Co went away from last year's final debacle basically saying the list wasnt up to the task. ABSOLUTE CRAP!

I will happy say Ken & Co have improved out of sight since the Brisbane Booing episode. I still want him gone, but the changes we have seen are really positive. Notwithstanding that, I still detest their unwillingness to accept any blame.

Of course the players bear some blame ... But that wasnt the point!

The fact is, they blamed the LIST!!!! Very different to blaming the players for having a bad game. Hinkley and Co went away from last year's final debacle basically saying the list wasnt up to the task. ABSOLUTE CRAP!

I will happy say Ken & Co have improved out of sight since the Brisbane Booing episode. I still want him gone, but the changes we have seen are really positive. Notwithstanding that, I still detest their unwillingness to accept any blame.
The list wasn’t good enough last year, our 13 in a row was carried by the midfield, once they dropped off it was all over.
Off season recruitment has definitely improved our team.

The main difference this year to last is the competition has fallen away drastically.
We have been consistent without being great while others around us shoot themselves in the foot.
In the end it doesn’t matter, it’s all about winning the flag.
If we do that the players and coaching staff all deserve credit.
If we fail they all take the blame with the most likely outcome that the coach gets the sack.
Anyone who believes booing Ken has turned him into a better coach is delusional.
The players have taken it on themselves, Ken is the same shit coach he’s always been.

They still don’t rate us. Lloyd confident the premier comes from the Swans vs Giant QF winner. Let’s grit the teeth and keep this maniacal brand of tough, team footy going.
Prefer to just keep going under the radar. So many things are very similar to 2004 and I say we just roll with it. These are the dicks that had Essendon, Carlton et al in the top 4 and look how that worked out!

I was impressed by the way the players refused to take crap from the opposition too. Like when that neanderthal bozo knocked over Georgie, Trav and JHF were straight up in his face letting him know we won't cop that.

We've been pretty meek in the past against teams that try to bully us, especially away from Adelaide Oval (or the crows on it) but that's not happening any more. And nothing stupid, just letting people know we're not going to take their crap.

Again I come back to Selwood's talk after the Gold Coast game, where JHF had to do it all on his own and gave away free kicks.
It reminds me of the early days when the port ethos was embedded in the team. Stand up for your teammates and take no crap. It has been quite pleasing.

I was impressed by the way the players refused to take crap from the opposition too. Like when that neanderthal bozo knocked over Georgie, Trav and JHF were straight up in his face letting him know we won't cop that.

We've been pretty meek in the past against teams that try to bully us, especially away from Adelaide Oval (or the crows on it) but that's not happening any more. And nothing stupid, just letting people know we're not going to take their crap.

Again I come back to Selwood's talk after the Gold Coast game, where JHF had to do it all on his own and gave away free kicks.
It's focused aggression. Reminds me how Josh Carr use to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back