Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

When the players come out with that much focus and effort, it is hard for anyone not to support them. They deserved it and I wanted it for them.

I must say, I didn't walk away stoked. It was ok, it was a phenomenal performance, despite the fact we nearly still choked, but I just saw the demons of the past. Sicily the new Shuey, etc.

It's so hard to invest in this side when I just have zero trust that we can maintain it for 4 full quarters. But they did, and it was outstanding, so my mind then goes to next week where I just don't believe we can beat Sydney in Sydney in a prelim based on our historical results. Whilst we're doing things the last 7-8 weeks that are defying the trends, but still last week shows how close we are to it all just going wrong again.
Unfortunately I don't give us much chance next week either. But whatever the result I want to see every player bust a gut to try & win.

But we won in spite of it.

Thus, as Macca19 said, it was fine.

It was so fine, that they can even shove their useless whistles up their arses — if they are into it.

We won. I couldn’t care less about the umpires now.

It was so fine, that they can even shove their useless whistles up their arses — if they are into it.

We won. I couldn’t care less about the umpires now.

That's your opinion. I would call umpiring 'fine' when it bears some semblance to being fair and unbiased. That was clearly not the case in this game.

It happens all the time, and it's bullshit and should be called out.

We had more free kicks

20 years from now, we all will still be posting about footy and Port, and I will still be struggling to understand this Aussie fixation on free differential.

Either the frees were there or they weren’t. It doesn’t matter to whom.

I can’t comment much on the umpiring, because I could only watch Q1. After that, I took the kids to school, walked the dogs, and argued with my wife (today is our Anniversary, and apparently this means I shouldn’t be trying to watch football).

All I know is that, having switched to radio, Tredrea and Ginever were mental with the umpires. They usually aren’t; at least, not like today (it’s still today here).

I saw Butters getting away with a dangerous tackle in Q1. The TV commentators, pathetic as they are, called it a “Finals tackle”. No one was concussed, of course. That’s all they care.

I saw us getting two frees for high tackles, even though the play was at ground level. The calls were right. The tackles were above the shoulders.

So, yes, there were good calls during the game; and some bad calls went our way. The question however is in the proportion. A few bad calls are fine; a lot, aren’t. An equality on bad calls is ok; they being mostly one-sided is not.

Most importantly, however, is the quality of the calls. Frees aren’t created equal. Missing a call in the midfield is most probably harmless; in the goal square, most probably is not.

Free differential ignores all that.

That's your opinion. I would call umpiring 'fine' when it bears some semblance to being fair and unbiased. That was clearly not the case in this game.

It happens all the time, and it's bullshit and should be called out.

CE, you are missing the irony.

We’ve made it fine, even though it wasn’t. That’s the point.

Was worst on ground for us by a mile! Fumbly, and absolute stinker of a decision maker.

If he's got trade value, we'd be stupid to not cash in!

I gave him one vote for effort. He fought for the whole game.

We won because Mitch G copped a fortuitous falcon. Classic Hinkley.

Assist of the Year

Mitch was brave in deliberately putting himself in front of the ball.

Great team effort, we brought the heat which was great to see, that’s the tackling and pressure needed in all finals.
Defense looked good, helped by the pressure applied further up the ground.
Great game Burgoyne, Sweet, Drew, Rioli and George.
Special mention for George’s falcon goal assist.

Unfortunately I don't give us much chance next week either. But whatever the result I want to see every player bust a gut to try & win.

Our record against the Swans in recent times is remarkably good. It will not be easy but I would not write us off. Going to Sydney is the price we pay for last week's dismal effort.

Port had 25 free kicks on the night with 11 of those in the first quarter. After quarter time the count went 19-14 Hawthorn's way. When was the last time Port had 11 frees in a quarter?

Perhaps it is no coincidence that Hawthorn got back into the game when the free kick stats swung in their favour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port had 25 free kicks on the night with 11 of those in the first quarter. After quarter time the count went 19-14 Hawthorn's way. When was the last time Port had 11 frees in a quarter?

Perhaps it is no coincidence that Hawthorn got back into the game when the free kick stats swung in their favour?

Over half our free kicks in the first quarter were blatant holding the balls as a result of our pressure and intensity.

The free kick count on paper is surely irrelevant to anyone who watched the game. One of the most inept and one sided displays of officiating I can remember in 35 years of watching football. A disgrace that's sadly par for the course for the AFL.

In the second quarter BT said if hawthorn can get a run on here a goal or two Hawks will be right into it ..

Bamm free kick after free get them back into it the 50s were ridiculous you can see that umpire was smirking like a campaigner 9/1 in the second quarter ..

We were destroying them they were Lucky to be close ..

Glad Sicily went home Sookiing along with his twat coach ..

********s

Hawks also were gifted 150 meters for no reason ..
We should of hot one but nah apparently the hawk didn't hear the whistle..

Two quick things, Richos commentary around the two dangerous tackle goals the Hawks got in second was good, thought he's always called things fairly straight and saying this is a final you can't call nothing incidents like that was spot on.

JHF is our spiritual captain now and our captain in waiting, the way he carries himself, his will to win, the first to have words with the oppo in defence of our guys, even his interview during the week on 7 talking about training not being upto scratch etc. He's just got it in spades, can't wait till he's skip, sorry Connor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

22 players gave effort tonight. If 1 PT should be dished out for effort that should go straight to Jordan Sweet.

Wines was a huge liability. The quicker we get rid of him the better.

5. Rioli
4. Burgoyne
3. Sweet
2. L. Evans
1. Wines

Have to be almost a record amount of holding the ball frees in the first qtr for us.....was absolute chalk and cheese to last week. Hawks were shellshocked, couldn't get 5m of space anywhere, but then not surprising given their draw this year and lack of big game experience.

That pressure game has been our 1-wood the last 2 months, just simple, no nonsense, hard/manic football, can take us all the way if we continue on with it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="HighBudget" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Last one I remember was Jef farmer I’m pretty sure hahah

I thought it was sarcasm at first but nah they really do call him wizard

Must be his magic shrugging shoulder that goes high in every tackle

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back