Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

cant remember who it was but someoen on the radio said that the only way to stop players from headbutting the ground deliberately in a tackle is force any player that hits their head on the ground to go off for a concussion test.

i dont mind it.
I heard that as well. I don’t mind it, but will Jeremy Cameron be forced off?

Regarding the free kicks, no doubt 4-6 dubious frees, the out of bounds, and Boaks touched. You give this benefit the other way, and we win by 10 goals. That’s how poor Hawthorn was.

But in the end the result was the right one. It was probably justice that their captain choked and missed the clutch goal at the end. The only downside with the bias umpiring was that the game was probs more taxing on our players, as we could have with a proper lead rested JHF and Butters in the last quarter.

I think the Hawks fans need to think about cricket now… it’s done

I remember the Hawks kicking an iffy goal when Mabior Chol took possession of the ball after it had just crossed the boundary line. Not so much a bullshit umpiring decision. More a case of the boundary ump not seeing it, so were were able to get away with that that one. Shit happens. I totally understand the Port fans' anger and frustration after they saw the replay. But these sort of things will always occur throughout a game. I generally think good luck to you if you can get away with a few.

Yeah, the umps were obviously caught out of position for this one and didn't want to guess.

1726629785081.jpeg

Oh, lol.

View attachment 2113997
From that pic, it appears as though the ball hasn’t even crossed the boundary line

The whole ball must totally across the line

If you draw a perpendicular line up from the boundary line, it probably bisects about 1/3rd of the ball

-------------------

edit: Geez, I seem to have triggered a bunch of you with the post above.

I mean, looking at it a 3rd time, it is out of bounds, but not by as much as all you guys think it is. It's razor thin... The near side edge of the ball is probably just an inch or two past the line. From where he stood, I can understand why the boundary ump might've thought it was still in (even though he got it wrong.)

But I already acknowledged this in my previous post about the umpiring. The Hawks got the benefit of that one. Just like Port got the benefit of other umpiring decisions.

e.g. there was a clear push in the back by Mitch Georgiades against Jack Scrimshaw when Mitch was paid the mark and kicked a vital 4th quarter goal. But none of you acknowledge that when you count up all the "charity goals" we got. 🤣

Bad umpiring decisions went both ways. That was my whole point.

Just to be clear: I am not sooking about this crap. I was just amazed at how much all you Port fans were sooking about the umpiring. That was why I asked people to list all the umpiring decisions which pissed them off. Turns out there weren't that many (and the ones they did were questionable anyway)

It's not enough for you guys to enjoy the win. You need to embellish it with bullcrap about how you overcame biased umpiring.

Laughable!

Last edited:
View attachment 2113997

From that pic, it appears as though the ball hasn’t even crossed the boundary line

If you draw a perpendicular line up from the boundary line, it probably bisects about 1/3rd of the ball
LOL

View attachment 2113997

Stop embarrassing yourself and your club.

The captain, coach and past player commentators only highlighted what sooks they are, and now you confirm that the fans are also massive sooks.

I have lost all and any respect for Hawthorn, and I look forward to them missing eight next year.

Stop embarrassing yourself and your club.

The captain, coach and past player commentators only highlighted what sooks they are, and now you confirm that the fans are also massive sooks.

I have lost all and any respect for Hawthorn, and I look forward to them missing eight next year.
That's not fair. Not ALL Hawthorn people are sooks. Just this guy, the coach, the captain, Hodge, Lewis, Leigh Matthews...

I honestly don't understand Port's bleating about the umpiring. It's pretty nuts. Even when you win, you bleat about the umps 🤣

I realise you're a little bit more even-minded about the umps than many other Port fans and you're prepared to say a few of the frees were there, so don't take everything I say personally... I'm speaking more about the collective... :):thumbsu:

For starters, the free kick count was Port 25, Hawks 23... The free kick count never tells the full story, but what it does tell us is that the umps weren't shy about giving you guys a decent share of the free kicks.

Just look at the way the match played out - the gameplans of both sides. The Hawks midfielders went in first for the ball and the Port mids would often hang back slightly and then smash them with tackles whenever the Hawks took possession - the Western Bulldogs & Geelong ploy of conceding first possession and then strip-tackling their opponents.

Tackles...... (2024 average)
Wines. 10..... 4.6
Rozee.. 9...... 4.2
Butters 8...... 4.0
Drew... 8...... 6.2
Sweet.. 5.......5.0

The overall tackle count was pretty even - Hawthorn 81, Port Adelaide 77
Except Port received a ton of HTB free kicks - more than double Hawthorn's frees for HTB.

The Port fans were in a frenzy, screaming for 'holding the ball' throughout the game; feeling aggrieved and booing whenever a tackle of theirs wasn't rewarded. Which is par for the course, but due to it being a closely-fought knockout final, the fans were maybe a little more on-edge and pumped-up than normal. Maybe this is partly what led to you feeling victimised by the umps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what were the controversial free kicks that got everyone so pissed off?

Lots of commentary around Hawthorn' first 3 goals (all from free kicks)

1. free kick to Calsher Dear... Aliir Aliir penalised for holding the man... This was an obvious decision. He clearly impeded Dear from making the contest vs Bergman. Grabbed him around the midriff. He didn't maul Dear to the ground, but it was still an obvious infringement. Free kick every day of the week.

2. free kick to Mabior Chol... Lachie Jones was penalised for a sling tackle... Once again, this was an obvious free kick. Jones pinned both of Chol's arms and swung him 360' head first to the ground. Chol's head hit the ground, clear as day. The ump was right there on the spot and had a clear unimpeded view of it.

I'm a bit perplexed why anyone would dispute this free kick. What games have they been watching? Welcome to 2024. In past decades, this was a great tackle by Jones. Under the new rules, it's a free kick. I was going to say "under the new rules of 2024"... But the AFL outlawed these sling tackles more than 5 years ago. You can't pin both arms of an opponent and swing them head first into the ground. Surely, we all know that by now, don't we?

If Jones had done this sling tackle during the home and away season, he would've been suspended for one or two matches.
The MRO has chosen to look the other way and given him a pass cos it's a Prelim Final this Friday :thumbsu:

[BTW, Lachie Jones goes alright. Love the sidestep. He aint no superstar, but I like his style. He's a pretty good player.]

3. Bullshit free kick to Dylan Moore. Jase Burgoyne was unjustly penalised for a dangerous tackle... Umpire Curtis Deboy was blindsided and incorrectly guessed. He thought he saw a dangerous tackle because of the explosiveness of Burgoyne's take-down. Port fans were justified in bellyaching about this bullshit free kick & goal.

I can't helping thinking there is a bit of "straw that broke the camel's back" with this 3rd free kick goal in 5 minutes. Just because the 3rd one was bullcrap, that doesn't mean the other two frees weren't there. The Port fans near me were livid & screaming about the injustice of it all ... But rather than whinging about 3 bullshit frees, let's get real and acknowledge that 2 of them were there and you got shafted with one of them

However, Port's very first goal was also from a bullshit umpiring decision. Worpel was incorrectly penalised for holding the ball. Willie Rioli wrapped him up with a front-on tackle, but Worpel was strong enough to shrug it off. Tackle incomplete. PLAY ON! Connor Rozee then tackled him around the waist and Worpel immediately handpassed to D'Ambrosio. It was a clear handball. Not some fumbly throw-handpass. Umpire Brett Rosebery was in a poor position, standing 10m behind the action. He just guessed that Worpel fumbled it away. He incorrectly penalised Worpel for the accumulative effect of the 2 tackles...

A bullshit free to Rozee; and he kicked the first goal of the match, much to the delight of the Port fans. Nobody was bleating about the umpires in that instance... All quickly glossed over and forgotten.... :rolleyes:

So midway through the 2nd qtr, the score was 3 goals apiece and we were 1-1 with umpire-assisted bullshit goals.

On the ensuing centre bounce, Jordan Sweet kneed Lloyd Meek in the nuts. One of those deliberate "accidents". 🤣

Meek went down for the count. No free kick. Sweet was fined $5,000 by the MRO for the kneeing offence. But there was no free kick awarded. :oops:

I remember the Hawks kicking an iffy goal when Mabior Chol took possession of the ball after it had just crossed the boundary line. Not so much a bullshit umpiring decision. More a case of the boundary ump not seeing it, so were were able to get away with that that one. Shit happens. I totally understand the Port fans' anger and frustration after they saw the replay. But these sort of things will always occur throughout a game. I generally think good luck to you if you can get away with a few.

I remember much later in the game, Port players were constantly knocking the ball over the boundary line. Much like Sam Taylor v Joe Daniher late in the 4th quarter of the Giants v Lions semi final. Except the Hawks received no free kick for 'deliberate' or 'insufficient intent'. Go figure!

Were there any other controversial moments ? Were there any other bullshit goals from bullshit free kicks?
Let me know... I'm genuinely curious about what got you all so worked up. The umpiring wasn't that bad, was it?

You mentioned the dubious frees given to the "ducking" Watson. Why is Watson always singled out for ducking? For starters, he is the shortest player in the AFL and he plays to his strengths. Why wouldn't he? He gets himself low to the ground when he bursts through with the ball and makes it very difficult for defenders to tackle him without infringing. Sometimes he ducks. Other times he doesn't need to.

I still don't think it's fair for people to always single him out for ducking when more than 90% of high tackle free kicks are the result of players ducking. Should we run the ruler over Jason Horne-Francis's 41 frees in 2024 and see how many he milked from ducking into tackles? Let's get real... All the good players do it...

I just think the whole Port vs Umpires from last Friday was overplayed. Port fans seem to like playing the victim when it comes to umpiring. Backs to the wall... Us against them... We shall overcome and win it the "hard way"... With decent umpiring and bit of luck, we would've SMASHED them...

Pfft. It was a great game, mate. It was played largely on Port's terms. The Hawks were never really able to get their game going, which is a credit to Hinkley, his assistants and the players for radically changing up their team methodology.

Some bad umpiring decisions went both ways. But I think you're drawing a hell of a long bow to say they favoured Hawthorn. I know one thing for certain... If you think the umpiring was bad last Friday night, just you wait until this Friday night!!! You are up against the AFL love child. Just think of the extra TV ratings Channel 7 will get if Sydney win through to the Grand Final with millions of rugby fans and AFL casuals tuning in.
Wow you sure have put in a lot of effort on an oppo thread. Congratulations…I guess. 🤣😎

Wow you sure have put in a lot of effort on an oppo thread. Congratulations…I guess. 🤣😎
I can’t decide which is funnier.

1) All the folks with zero idea about parallax error who see the gap between the ball and boundary line and assume (like BT) that’s the distance the ball is OOB. 🤣

or 2) the ones who crap on about Hawthorn “sooks” in a thread where Port fans have done nothing but sook about the umpires.🤣

edit: or 3) the people who reckon Mabior Chol was staging for a free kick when Lachie Jones pinned both his arms and slung him head first into the ground. :oops:🤣

Last edited:
We have done more than that in this thread… we have also celebrated a win.
As you should.

It was a great win. :thumbsu:

I think you’re a great chance of beating Sydney this Friday night (as I’ve posted elsewhere in your match preview thread)

I’ll be barracking for you guys to make it 9/9 vs the Swans and stick it up everyone in the Melbourne media who have done nothing but disrespect Port Adelaide all season and all last week

Last edited:
cant remember who it was but someoen on the radio said that the only way to stop players from headbutting the ground deliberately in a tackle is force any player that hits their head on the ground to go off for a concussion test.

i dont mind it.
Jimmy Bartel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not fair. Not ALL Hawthorn people are sooks. Just this guy, the coach, the captain, Hodge, Lewis, Leigh Matthews...
Ironically I think the only one who isn't a sook is Ginnivan.

1) All the folks with zero idea about parallax error who see the gap between the ball and boundary line and assume (like BT) that’s the distance the ball is OOB. 🤣

or 2) the ones who crap on about Hawthorn “sooks” in a thread where Port fans have done nothing but sook about the umpires.🤣

edit: or 3) the people who reckon Mabior Chol was staging for a free kick when Lachie Jones pinned both his arms and slung him head first into the ground. :oops:🤣
1.When you factor in the earth's curvature, humidity, Adelaide's global positioning coordinates, something something parallax, the ball was practically in the centre square. I was a fool for believing my own eyes.
2.The umpiring was perfect. A provincial lil club like port should just be happy to be there
3. Lachie Jones is worse than Hitler. I'm honestly surprised Chol survived

Now enjoy your footy free weekend.

View attachment 2113997

You can literally see the shadow of the ball and it is out of bounds - cross the line. 🤦

Indeed...and the whole commotion that started us 'sooking' was Port's coach misdirecting an uncontrolled emotional outburst at Ginnivan because he's no longer coping with Port fans abusing him.

][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="Schulzenfest" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Ironically I think the only one who isn't a sook is Ginnivan.

Obviously can’t see everything on TV but when Ken was doing his thing Ginnivan looked to be laughing about it.
Seemed to upset their captain a bit though….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Indeed...and the whole commotion that started us 'sooking' was Port's coach misdirecting an uncontrolled emotional outburst at Ginnivan because he's no longer coping with Port fans abusing him.
I think you'll find the only misdirected emotional outburst came from your captain who seems to be a perfect exponent of Gen Z softcockery. Whatever happened to the ' sticks and stones' concept that we Gen Xrs grew up with which made the world a far less precious place... Grow up, cop the loss and learn from it not to poke the bear. Everyone in the AFL thinks Port is a toothless bear and the minute they bite back its an outrage. Wah wah. The problem with you lot is you are so used to having a free ride with umpires- like Sydney and the Essendon teams of the 90s and early 2000s- you see it as an entitlement and howl crook when you're called on it. In the cold light of day Sicely's poster was poetic justice for the blatant bias all night. Get over it. Learn to play in the spirit of the rules instead of milking frees and you might just get some respect. Edit: Now you have some idea how Geelong felt in the last round of 1987 when their season was snuffed out on the back of 3 staged frees in the last 4 minutes to Dunstall right in front of goal. And again in the 88 night final. Same margin too in every case. The footy Gods have long memories.

Last edited:
Left field thought. Has anyone thought that maybe if the momentum of the game being turned 180 degrees by the poor umpiring calls was the catalyst for Hinkley's reaction? He got his players up for the fight after being enbarrassed tge previous week..and they were executing perfectly until the string of soft frees that resulted in goals and forced the players to resort to a far more defensive style. Hinkley knows the severe fines handed out for umpire criticism so had to zip the lip on that but used the Ginnivan issue as an out clause?

How's Bali?
Mitchell stopped crying behind the bus yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2024 SF - win v. Umpires (Hawks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back