Opinion 2024 The good, the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Well, there goes another season without finals. We looked good there for a while in terms of competitiveness, until we didn't. A lot of supporters got sucked into the false dawn of early wins, but the fact we were rarely beating sides above us was really a more accurate reflection of us; that and our percentage. Not unhappy. We're a middling team in the midst of rebuilding. We need to turn the list over.

Anyway, here's my GBU for this year.

Good:
Edge. Okay, we couldn't make it last consistently throughout the season, but the foundations have been laid. It reflects a desired standard and it was communicated well by the coach because it did cut through. Alterations to the list and another preseason with this as our mantra and hopefully we do it better and more next season.

Zach's captaincy and leadership. Wow. Thank goodness.

Calders and Duz. Revelations this year, in part because they've bought in. Gives us scope to dispense with guys like Parish and Shiel. I guessed Duz to finish top 5 in the Crichton before the season started. He deserves.

Duursma gave us fantastic run, and although he has finished strongly (due to in large part to his supporting cast), I'm happily surprised by McKay's first season with us.

Both Draper and Bryan have matured a bit as players during the last month or so.

Tsatas, we're told, has improved. There's something to look forward to.

Nate Caddy has given us some exciting glimpses of the beast he'll become.

Archie Roberts. Has skills, appetite and an edgy attitude. I like him.

Harry Jones and Nik Cox getting a full year. Hopefully we'll be better for it. Loved Jones's forward pressure early in the season before being shifted to a wing.

The change to the draft rules for NGA players, allowing us to draft Kako. Hells bells. That's timely.

Dodoro and Sheedy goooorne :)

Best wins: GWS and WB.

Bad:
F***. Where do I start?
Martin HB experiment. The vision was good but failed. He's obviously a wing / forward.

Team selection for a couple of vital games post-bye. Selecting so many talls especially for the Cats game in the wet was baffling.

Consistent games being given to Laverde, Menzie, Kelly, Heppell, Perkins. There is the context of a dearth of options for some roles when injuries strike, but the quality of the middle to low end is very ordinary. The poor performances of these players might see their papers stamped, fingers crossed.

Gresham has turned out to be just an ordinary player. Not much of an upgrade on Snello by my eye.

The post-bye fade out for the second year in a row. Not sure if that's strength and conditioning or injuries or a bit of both, but it's obviously an issue.

Dumb contracts to some players, Parish and McGrath particularly. Too long.

Worst losses: Port, Geelong, Adelaide and Melbourne

Ugly:
The foul treatment given to the players by some of our 'supporters'. We're rebuilding. We're not playing for sheep stations yet. Our list is subpar. Accept it. I can't stand a lack of effort either, but abuse is disgraceful. They're humans. You'd be better off embracing the journey.

Kicking skills, but especially those of Martin, McGrath, Laverde and Kelly, at times was deplorable.

Accuracy in front of goal.

Disorganisation of forwardline and backline, at times, was stark. I'd think Tapping, at least, is gone.

Congrats on a solid career Dyson and Goldy.

I'm hoping Rosa and RFK are able to engineer a bunch of draft picks.

I'm interested in your GBUs.

Last edited:

A pretty uninspiring year. Once the Geelong loss came I think we all knew the year was done.

Good

Liked the emergence of Caldwell, Durham, Roberts, Caddy and even Bryan finally. Looks like the 2023 draft was a success already. Liked what Duursma brought to the side.
The effort was there for the most of the year this time, but skills and efficiency inside 50 let us down.

Bad

Still no elite players on the list outside of Merrett.

Ugly

Efficiency inside 50, second half slide again after the senior players and coach told us it wouldn't happen, senior players letting us down, the state of the list, no wins over 40 points and a bad percentage.

A pretty uninspiring year. Once the Geelong loss came I think we all knew the year was done.

Good

Liked the emergence of Caldwell, Durham, Roberts, Caddy and even Bryan finally. Looks like the 2023 draft was a success already. Liked what Duursma brought to the side.
The effort was there for the most of the year this time, but skills and efficiency inside 50 let us down.

Bad

Still no elite players on the list outside of Merrett.

Ugly

Efficiency inside 50, second half slide again after the senior players and coach told us it wouldn't happen, senior players letting us down, the state of the list, no wins over 40 points and a bad percentage.
The reality of how poor our senior players actually are and the list overall is finally seems to be hitting home. Looking forward to the trade-draft period. If we turn four players over this year, I'll be happy. I'd be okay if we finish bottom four next year.

Bad: We were (are?) a bottom four club last half of the season finishing 3-9.

Our recent drafting of top picks looks bad (other than Caddy). Plus our drafting of so many players who are poor kicks …coming home to roost

Top ups year was more fun. 20 YEARS OF DOING NOTHING IS GETTING TO ME

GOOD
Zerrett - BEST CAPTAIN IN THE AFL
Marto - what a journey so far
The Caddyshack Kid - has a crack and flies for marks and hits the packs - I like the boy
The boy Roberts - He's SPECIAL
Saad - got a jet here who makes the right decision every time - also has some fair dinkum goal sense when he goes forward
Bull - Another great story
Jakey - played 20+ games though inconsistent one of the few forwards who gave a fruit
Langers - clearly hampered by hip/OP but still kicked 40 goals but not sure of his long term future in terms of how we address the make up going forward and when he doesn't have the ball he defensively isn't great - a team who need a deep mid size forward (like Richmond) might offer a 1st for him
Duurs - Tough nut and one of the few that runs both ways and can tackle
Jye - WHAT A YEAR - Should be Vice Captain
Buckets - IMO was very good first 2/3rds of the year. Last third was off but we were tripe and ball was coming down there with no pressure - It's not easy to slot in 1st year at a new club to be the leader in defence
Hepp - thanks Worzel - lovely bloke and gave more to us than we gave to him

BAD
Skills - NONE
Tackling - USELESS
Structure - No idea what our backline, midfield and forward line best mix is
Team Selection - INSERT CURSE WORD OF CHOICE for how frustrating this was all year
Reid - only playing one game (still shows plenty though)

UGLY
Perks - fell off a cliff
Cox - No idea who he is as a footballer or what his position is
2MP - mentally shot after that suspension and if we cannot redefine his role perhaps needs moving on - i think if we lose Draper he can work on his speed and condition and he can support Bryan the way Jackson supports Darcy at Freo. May need some psychology work to mentally reconfigure his footy brain
McGrath - defensive stopper but MAJOR SPUD with ball
DP3 - not sure if is was his missus pregnancy but Darcy had a very meh season when he played
Lav - should pay him out and delist like James Stewart
Kelly - How the fruit did Roberts NOT replace this bloke?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: We didn't lose to the filth premier and I'd like to think we stopped them from making finals.
Beating Dogs. It was early in the season but this is traditionally a 5+ goal loss.
Beating GWS. I thought we might have turned a corner after this win.
Durham and Caldwell stepping up to the cusp of A-graders- arguably they are.
Caddy and Roberts coming in to the side and NOT looking out of place.
Dodo and Sheedy leaving.
Heppell retired- it just had to happen for all involved.
Duursma- quite the catch.
Merrett- should be AA and a brownlow smokey.

Bad: Langford, Wright, Stringer all falling off for one reason or another. All senior players all not helping our offensive movement and scoring at one point or another.
Injuries. A part of the game but too many repeatedly injured.
Gresham and McKay- both had very good moments, both fell away at crucial points of a game/season. Both on big bucks.
Pathetic games when our season was on the line. Losing at home to Adelaide, GC and the saints is a non-negotiable.

Ugly: awful kicking throughout the list.
Losing structure and not been able to play under the spotlight we seem to demand.
McGrath- here because he is supposed to be a LEADER but his disposal is atrocious and so his is defensive pressure.
Parish- year in, year out the argument is if he should be here or not. There should he no question if we sign a guy to 6 years at 600K+. Had injuries this year.
Perkins and Cox- alarming how stagnant and poor these two are.
Tsatas' kicking. It literally makes me want to puke.

Lastly, our constant capitulation when the heat it is on.

Good:

Thanks Hepp.
No more drug saga players left.
No more Dodoro incompetence, drafting who he's turned on by and not who we need.
No more Sheedy interference.
More players who have proven that they won't help us to win finals, let's hope those in charge see this too.

Bad:

More Brad Scott experimenting with positions that seems to knock us off course. On purpose? Trying to see who will and won't make the next rounds of cut, eight year plan in force?
Making a decision to not give Heppell a farewell game then backtracking, have to stick to our convictions, decide one way and stick to it.
Rest is obvious, fade outs. Our players are weak etc.

Good:

Improvements in Caldwell and Durham
Jones wing, something worth persisting with IMO
Bryan last month
Roberts and Caddy

Bad:

Late season fadeout
Lack of form from several senior players

Ugly:

Reid and Baldwin long term injuries

Good: Improvements to Durham, Caldwell. Much clearer as to our needs.
Bad: Lack of game time to youth especially when it was so obvious we packed our bags after the bye (again). Martin playing out of position. Our backs coach - positioning just horrible.
Ugly: Overall mentally fragile list. Continuing to play players that are in poor form and no future at the club.

Bad: We were (are?) a bottom four club last half of the season finishing 3-9.

Our recent drafting of top picks looks bad (other than Caddy). Plus our drafting of so many players who are poor kicks …coming home to roost
I’m 100% on the fact that we will look at Tsatas, Roberts and Caddy in a few years time and say that we’ve nailed those picks. Trust.

I'm moving back to VIC at the end of the year and my brothers and a mate want to do a few footy road trips next year

I think the only way i'll accept to watch us (mind you I've seen us win in Brisbane and Gold Coast a couple of times in the last 10 years) is if we see a Storm game as well so it makes it tolerable and less chance of ruining a weekend

The reality of how poor our senior players actually are and the list overall is finally seems to be hitting home. Looking forward to the trade-draft period. If we turn four players over this year, I'll be happy. I'd be okay if we finish bottom four next year.
Bottom 4 with a plan is shit loads better than low- mid table for 20 years!!

The good

Durham and Caldwell solidify themselves as potential a grade mids
Duursma becomes easily our best winger
Gresham becomes our best small forward
Caddy and Robert’s look like draft picks that have been nailed
Bryan ready to be our ruckman for the next 8 years
Mckays first half of the year
Zac merrett trying his guts out and trying to make team mates accountable. Hello Andrew McGrath and Darcy parish

The bad

No measurement improvement in perkins cox, Hobbs, daveys, wanganeen and tsatsas
Injuries to Zac Reid, Kline Baldwin and Jordan ridley
Brad Scott showing little imagination in his coaching or ridiculous ideas such as playing two 200cm wingers in torrential rain
Peter Wright
Darcy parish refusing or unable to change his game

The Ugly
Our forward line- plenty of inside 50s not enough goals
The same olds- I do not need to see Jake Kelly or jayden laverde play for the bombers again- they have been tried and failed
Nick Martin playing as an unaccountable, soft half back- please play him forward of the footy
Massimo d’ambrossio- jye Menzies is really a better footballer? Really?……….Really?
Adrian dodoro leaving us a legacy which will take years still to erase
Hawthorn showing us once again why they are a superior football club once again
The crowds at the Adelaide and crows games- people are disheartened- our players are perennial losers

Good:
Draft. Trading up for caddy and a player in the 3rd: Saad midseason
more effort for half a season
A few young players finding roles and positions moving forward.
Geulfi nail polish game.
VFL side looking good back half of the season.
Merrett:
Archie Perkins vs Hawks

Durham, Calders, Bryan, Caddy, Jones, Roberts. That’s 6 players finding new roles and looking good/to cement their place.

Bad:
selection integrity
AFL level player development
Effort in the 2nd half
Mini midfield
Kicking accuracy
Forward pressure
Loosing Mass.
AFL side getting worse as season progressed

Ugly:

Ball movement off HB
playing Weiderman over Heppell for his final home game. Claiming selection integrity while having had none all year
Ball movement off halfback
Reid/Perkins/Cox

Scott going all English Cricket team saying we won a bunch of games on expected score.

The good:

Merrett. Just brilliant and a great on field leader.
Durham looked AA quality at times. So exciting.
Caldwell and Duursma put in really good seasons.
Caddy and Roberts showing a lot late on.
First half of McKay's season.
The effort.

The bad:

Second half of McKay's season.
Redman, Parish and Wright looking a shell of themselves.
Ridley missing a lot of games, again.

The ugly:

The execution. Too many dumb footballers who make poor decisions and can't execute basic skills or like handballing to a teammate 5m away.
Got my hopes up for finals only for another late season collapse.
D'Ambrosio killing at at hawthorn when we are crying out for that type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024 The good, the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back