Opinion 2024 The good, the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Martin, Durham, Caldwell had a full season injury free and are clearly our best players. Duursma a jet.

Caddy, Roberts and Tsatas had an injury free year and can have a real crack at the preseason and continue to develop.

The way the VFL finished the season. Got valuable games into the Daveys, wangers and Tsatas. Actually looked like VFL was a benefit to the AFL program…

Running out games has improved from last year. The dropoff this year was less to do with fitness and more to do with a low in confidence, unorganised, inefficient playing group.

Kako! What a win, two first rounders this year banked, and a small forward which we probably wouldn’t have taken that high unless someone had a gun to our head. Very lucky.

Bad:
D’Ambrosio….

The drop off from our experienced players: Parish, Wright, Redman, Langford, Laverde, Stringer, Kelly, Shiel… Gee that’s not a group that’s going to win us a GF I don’t think. Our veterans are not natural leaders outside of Merrett.

Cox, Perkins and Reid - make or break season incoming for all three. No more gifting games to cox.

Was really hoping a Davey would show a bit more. Someone needs to show them the level of running some of the best small forwards do in a game and challenge them to get there. Miles off it from what I can see.

Ugly:
Game plan - match day selection - coaching decisions. I tune into the Champion data chat on Wednesdays with that Hoyne lad. He refused to get excited about Essendon even when we were second becuase we were not a good transition team. Sure enough we plummeted down the ladder. We do not play contemporary football.
Don’t get me started on the Goldstein, Draper, Jones and Cox in the one team, team selections.

Contracts - 6 years to injured Ridley, 6 years to injured Parish, extension to grumpy Redman, commitment to super slow McKay - might be okay if they can get healthy but recurring soft tissue injuries in year one of their contracts… yikes.

Martin, Durham, Caldwell and Duursma (and Dambrosio) all acquired recently, all very good, to excellent runners…. All guns. An area we have neglected for 20 years.

Good:
Draft. Trading up for caddy and a player in the 3rd: Saad midseason
more effort for half a season
A few young players finding roles and positions moving forward.
Geulfi nail polish game.
VFL side looking good back half of the season.
Merrett:
Archie Perkins vs Hawks

Durham, Calders, Bryan, Caddy, Jones, Roberts. That’s 6 players finding new roles and looking good/to cement their place.

Bad:
selection integrity
AFL level player development
Effort in the 2nd half
Mini midfield
Kicking accuracy
Forward pressure
Loosing Mass.
AFL side getting worse as season progressed

Ugly:

Ball movement off HB
playing Weiderman over Heppell for his final home game. Claiming selection integrity while having had none all year
Ball movement off halfback
Reid/Perkins/Cox

Scott going all English Cricket team saying we won a bunch of games on expected score.
How can you point to those six players though and say our development of players has been bad. They're literally an example of good player development.

Now that the dust has settled on the home and away, I find it quite hilarious that we finished just 2 wins short of a finals belting (I could play nice and say berth but let’s be real, we weren’t winning). Especially given the manner of our losses against Adelaide and Gold Coast.

The ANZAC draw was the difference between finishing 11th and 14th and 14th felt like it's far more us.

I think I agree with the majority of the good, bad, and ugly in this thread. In some ways I feel like it's hard to judge as I think at the start of the year I'd have said finishing 14th - 11th is about fair for us. 3rd year under a new coach is when I'd want to see us hitting finals, so for me the expectations start next year. I think this year just feels more disappointing because we got into that really good position and I think played far above ourselves. I'm hoping that's a glimpse of what we are striving for. I think the gap between our best and worst is closing at least. We weren't getting absolutely smashed this year where in previous years some of the losses I feel would have been much bigger. We just need to make sure that next year we start winning those games we should (Melbourne, Crows, Saints, Suns x 2 etc) and really put the foot on the throat in the ones we won but just not by enough (Norf, Eagles, Tigers etc).

How can you point to those six players though and say our development of players has been bad. They're literally an example of good player development.

3/6 developed in the VFL not AFL.

Caldwell/Jones found new positions due to injury not deliberate plans and Durham went inside due to his own offseason work.

In general I think more AFL players went backwards then forwards

Good:
Merrett, Caldwell, Durham, McKay, McGrath, Ridley, Langford, Duursma. 22 and 23 draft crop all look really promising. Draper recapturing dynamic athleticism post an injury I thought would ruin him.

Bad: Injuries stunting the development of very promising key talls in Baldwin, Hunter, Reid and Cox. Mature players in Parish, Ridley and Duursma not being able to stay on the park. Bizarre Shiel saga. Even more bizarre Perkins saga. Destroying Wright’s already slightly fragile confidence. Strength and Conditioning is still 1990’s NPL standard. Not looking like we’re doing any kind of situational training on setting the ground up.

Ugly: Scott having absolutely not a clue. Admirably navigates injuries and a rough draw to start the year and stay afloat then just decides to blow that up with the two big wingers, the smaller defence, less midfield rotations and a forward line held together by a first year player as the structural lynchpin and Langford being monstered by the opposition’s best big defender.

What little ‘experienced coach cache’ he had is completely gone, isn’t it? Wouldn’t have thought he’s earned any credits with anyone this year, nor does he deserve to.

Great and also appropriate that we’ve got a bumper NGA crop coming through this year, we’ve had such good luck with D’Ambrosio and Tsatas in the last 12 months we should definitely go to the well again.

The good:
  • Merrett
  • Durham
  • Caldwell
  • Dodoro finally gone
The OK:
  • Forward press working… in a way… but more on this below…
  • Only 3 games, but Roberts already looks like he belongs
  • Bryan finally showed something
  • Caddy could be anything
  • Duursma seemed to fit in nicely
  • Draper, although inconsistent and a terrible kick, is IMO starting to have real physical presence, clunk marks, and actually look like affecting games for the first time
  • Langford and Stringer both kicking 40+ goals despite playing roles (KPF) they absolutely shouldn’t be playing, and aren’t suited to.
The bad:
  • Signing Parish and McGrath to such long deals. (and Wright last year) All of them are backup/depth players at best IMO. Shows how clueless our administration continues to be. (and you can’t blame previous administrations or Dodoro for this - this was all done on Scott’s watch.)
  • McKay at times. Good in the contest, horrible with ball in hand. Not sure if that will ever change… so I hope we’re all ready for another 5 years of it.
  • Cox. Still no idea what he is supposed to be.
  • Perkins. Same as above. Has shown talent at times, but seems devoid of confidence or something. Really dropped off this year which I didn’t expect.
  • Hobbs. Sorry guys, but I just don’t see it… yet. Poor disposal is all I see. I’d really love him to prove me wrong though as he has attributes I do like as well.
The ugly:
  • Brad Scott. Has no idea. Flawed game plan, horrible selections, playing players in the completely wrong positions/roles, doesn’t even recognise what the obvious problems are, and worse, is responsible for most of those problems.
  • Laverde, Menzie, Kelly, Wright. No more. Please. (I actually like Laverde and think he tries his best, but his best just isn’t good enough in too many areas, and embarrassingly bad in many others. Sorry, Lav)
  • You can probably throw Shiel into that “no more” list too. Whilst I thought he did some really good things when he came back in (so it’s a bit harsh putting him the “ugly” section), he’s not going to be a part of our future, so I’d rather see what we can get (if anything) for him, and get real midfield time into someone who might actually be part of our future midfield. But if he stays for depth, I’m ok with it.
  • Forward 50 structure, plan, and personnel. A complete dog’s breakfast.
  • Kicking/execution. Consistently awful.
  • Our percentage. Shows where we’re really at… and that’s with with an easy fixture as well.
  • Playing our (hands down) best goalscoring mid at half back all year. Just dumb.
My no-holds-barred summary:

Let’s face it - we’ve gone nowhere in two years now under a guy who said he was going to shake things up and change the culture of the club blah blah blah. And yet, we’ve seen nothing of the sort. Where’s the shake up? Where’s the rebuild? What are we building towards? Two years now, and we look to be exactly the same as we were two years ago. (but we have a nice forward press!) Rutten (not that I was a fan) got sacked for not much worse. If we were losing games but Scott was actually blooding and getting real time into lots of young guys, I’d be totally happy as I’d be able to at least see what we’re trying to head towards. But unfortunately, he’s not even doing that. We’re just… stagnant… treading water.

I don’t see how some people can, on one hand, complain about us signing Wright, Parish and McGrath to such ridiculous deals… and then on the other hand, still blindly trust in Scott and the same administration who made those decisions to competently lead us forward. Those contracts alone show that we’re not in good hands.

Brad Scott talks shit. Let’s all be honest with ourselves. He’s a politician. Nothing more. He has no idea what his gameplan is. Forward press, forward press, forward press… and then what, Brad? He can’t blame it entirely on execution when the forward line he’s selected and set up consists of basically 5 slow mid-tall marking targets (Stringer, Langford, Caddy, Jones, Draper/ruck) with zero space to move in or even get a 1 on 1 due to our forward press. That’s just a shit gameplan and forward structure. That’s why we’re going inside 50 so much and not even looking like hitting the scoreboard more often than not, and also why it’s rebounding back out so quickly with such monotonous ease.

People keep saying “we don’t have the cattle” which is partly true. Yes, we have holes. Big ones. And small, fast, and skilful ones down forward if we’re going to play a forward press game. But what has Scott done to fix them? Brings in Goldstein and Gresham, and plays Martin off half back.

He sits there with that smug shit-eating arrogant patronising half-smirk on his face every press conference and gives absolutely “nothing answers”, nor can he even identify what our obvious problems are… which points directly to the fact that he doesn’t seem to know. “We’re looking to improve in all areas of the game.” **** off. It’s him who needs to improve in all areas of coaching and football, because at the moment, he’s selecting the wrong players (no surprise to North fans who are all laughing at us), playing them in the wrong positions/roles, getting them to play a gameplan that doesn’t make any sense, going with a forward structure/personnel that makes even less sense considering his forward press gameplan, etc etc etc…

“We’re looking to improve in all areas of the game.” - So what you’re kind of saying, Brad, is that after two years of you, we haven’t improved in any areas of the game? Great. Thanks for confirming.

Let us also never forget that this is the same ****head who, when he was General Manager of Football at the AFL, came out vigorously defending one of the biggest umpiring farces our game has ever seen - the ridiculous dissent rule and it’s ridiculous interpretations. That alone should be enough to tell people that the guy’s a complete politician/dickhead.

But of course, Essington (being Essington) go and hire him as head coach in the hope that he’ll be the guy to lead us out of 20 years of mediocrity. 😂

Please.

Why is it that the entire AFL world can see Brad Scott for what he is… except for the Essendon Football Club, and a bunch of our supporters who, just because he’s now our coach, want to just “trust in the process”… even though we’ve seen absolutely zero progress (one way or another) under this charlatan now in two years?

Again, just classic Essington.

The big problem is, because we’ve neither gone forwards nor backwards, I’m not even sure what I want to see from us next year. Do I want to see improvement? Improvement on what? Or do I want to see the big shake up he promised when he strolled in and that we’ve seen ZERO sign of so far? After two years, I really don’t know. Are we just going to keep treading water? The other problem is, based on what we have seen of him so far, if we allow Brad Scott to shake things up and gut the list (etc), who knows what kind of further damage this idiot could do… because it’s obvious based on pretty much every decision he’s made since he got here that he’s just completely winging it, doesn’t have any kind of plan whatsoever, and just says what he thinks will appease people (and the media) without actually answering anything at all… just like the slimy little politician he is.

Good luck, Essendon. This is what you chose.

Finally, it will be very interesting to see what we do over this coming draft/trade period. He’s had two years now. Blind Freddy could tell you what we need, and where things are going wrong on-field. This draft/trade period (especially now that Dodoro’s gone) will tell us everything we need to know about what Scott’s aiming to do next year and beyond, and in my opinion, will also be his last chance to prove to us that he’s actually going to walk the walk and not just talk shit as he’s done so far.

Last edited:
The good:
  • Merrett
  • Durham
  • Caldwell
  • Dodoro finally gone
The OK:
  • Draper, although inconsistent and a terrible kick, is IMO starting to have real physical presence, clunk marks, and actually look like affecting games for the first time
  • Langford and Stringer both kicking 40+ goals despite playing roles (KPF) they absolutely shouldn’t be playing, and aren’t suited to.
The bad:
  • Signing Parish and McGrath to such long deals. (and Wright last year) All of them are backup/depth players at best IMO. Shows how clueless our administration continues to be. (and you can’t blame previous administrations or Dodoro for this - this was all done on Scott’s watch.)
  • McKay at times. Good in the contest, horrible with ball in hand. Not sure if that will ever change… so I hope we’re all ready for another 5 years of it.
  • Perkins. Same as above. Has shown talent at times, but seems devoid of confidence or something. Really dropped off this year which I didn’t expect.
  • Hobbs. Sorry guys, but I just don’t see it… yet. Poor disposal is all I see. I’d really love him to prove me wrong though as he has attributes I do like as well.
The ugly:
  • Brad Scott. Has no idea. Flawed game plan, horrible selections, playing players in the completely wrong positions/roles, doesn’t even recognise what the obvious problems are, and worse, is responsible for most of those problems.
  • Laverde, Menzie, Kelly, Wright. No more. Please. (I actually like Laverde and think he tries his best, but his best just isn’t good enough in too many areas, and embarrassingly bad in many others. Sorry, Lav)
  • You can probably throw Shiel into that “no more” list too. Whilst I thought he did some really good things when he came back in (so it’s a bit harsh putting him the “ugly” section), he’s not going to be a part of our future, so I’d rather see what we can get (if anything) for him, and get real midfield time into someone who might actually be part of our future midfield. But if he stays for depth, I’m ok with it.
  • Our percentage. Shows where we’re really at… and that’s with with an easy fixture as well.
  • Playing our (hands down) best goalscoring mid at half back all year. Just dumb.

Let’s face it - we’ve gone nowhere in two years now under a guy who said he was going to shake things up and change the culture of the club blah blah blah. And yet, we’ve seen nothing of the sort. Where’s the shake up? Where’s the rebuild? What are we building towards? Two years now, and we look to be exactly the same as we were two years ago. (but we have a nice forward press!) Rutten (not that I was a fan) got sacked for not much worse. If we were losing games but Scott was actually blooding and getting real time into lots of young guys, I’d be totally happy as I’d be able to at least see what we’re trying to head towards. But unfortunately, he’s not even doing that. We’re just… stagnant… treading water.

I don’t see how some people can, on one hand, complain about us signing Wright, Parish and McGrath to such ridiculous deals… and then on the other hand, still blindly trust in Scott and the same administration who made those decisions to competently lead us forward. Those contracts alone show that we’re not in good hands.

Brad Scott talks shit. Let’s all be honest with ourselves. He’s a politician. Nothing more. He has no idea what his gameplan is. Forward press, forward press, forward press… and then what, Brad? He can’t blame it entirely on execution when the forward line he’s selected and set up consists of basically 5 slow mid-tall marking targets (Stringer, Langford, Caddy, Jones, Draper/ruck) with zero space to move in or even get a 1 on 1 due to our forward press. That’s just a shit gameplan and forward structure. That’s why we’re going inside 50 so much and not even looking like hitting the scoreboard more often than not, and also why it’s rebounding back out so quickly with such monotonous ease.

People keep saying “we don’t have the cattle” which is partly true. Yes, we have holes. Big ones. And small, fast, and skilful ones down forward if we’re going to play a forward press game. But what has Scott done to fix them? Brings in Goldstein and Gresham, and plays Martin off half back.

He sits there with that smug shit-eating arrogant patronising half-smirk on his face every press conference and gives absolutely “nothing answers”, nor can he even identify what our obvious problems are… which points directly to the fact that he doesn’t seem to know. “We’re looking to improve in all areas of the game.” **** off. It’s him who needs to improve in all areas of coaching and football, because at the moment, he’s selecting the wrong players (no surprise to North fans who are all laughing at us), playing them in the wrong positions/roles, getting them to play a gameplan that doesn’t make any sense, going with a forward structure/personnel that makes even less sense considering his forward press gameplan, etc etc etc…

“We’re looking to improve in all areas of the game.” - So what you’re kind of saying, Brad, is that after two years of you, we haven’t improved in any areas of the game? Great. Thanks for confirming.

Let us also never forget that this is the same ****head who, when he was General Manager of Football at the AFL, came out vigorously defending one of the biggest umpiring farces our game has ever seen - the ridiculous dissent rule and it’s ridiculous interpretations. That alone should be enough to tell people that the guy’s a complete politician/dickhead.

But of course, Essington (being Essington) go and hire him as head coach in the hope that he’ll be the guy to lead us out of 20 years of mediocrity. 😂

Please.

Why is it that the entire AFL world can see Brad Scott for what he is… except for the Essendon Football Club, and a bunch of our supporters who, just because he’s now our coach, want to just “trust in the process”… even though we’ve seen absolutely zero progress (one way or another) under this charlatan now in two years?

The big problem is, because we’ve neither gone forwards nor backwards, I’m not even sure what I want to see from us next year. Do I want to see improvement? Improvement on what? Or do I want to see the big shake up he promised when he strolled in and that we’ve seen ZERO sign of so far? After two years, I really don’t know. Are we just going to keep treading water? The other problem is, based on what we have seen of him so far, if we allow Brad Scott to shake things up and gut the list (etc), who knows what kind of further damage this idiot could do… because it’s obvious based on pretty much every decision he’s made since he got here that he’s just completely winging it, doesn’t have any kind of plan whatsoever, and just says what he thinks will appease people (and the media) without actually answering anything at all… just like the slimy little politician he is.

Finally, it will be very interesting to see what we do over this coming draft/trade period. He’s had two years now. Blind Freddy could tell you what we need, and where things are going wrong on-field. This draft/trade period (especially now that Dodoro’s gone) will tell us everything we need to know about what Scott’s aiming to do next year and beyond, and in my opinion, will also be his last chance to prove to us that he’s actually going to walk the walk and not just talk shit as he’s done so far.
Before you descended into generalisations and vitriol, I was somewhat with you.

How you can't see aspects of a better structure, effort and attitude towards defence is astounding to be honest.

As well, there are things he's responsible for, but injuries is not one of them. You might see a correlation between those and the change in our structure and game plan and then losses.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good:
  • Merrett
  • Durham
  • Caldwell
  • Dodoro finally gone
The OK:
The bad:
The ugly:

Please.

Imagine getting so worked up over this shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion 2024 The good, the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back