2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Just way too much run in that last quarter. With fresh legs, especially when they won every hitout and clearance. Ned Moyle loss pre game completely flipped this

Good game next week Box Hill/Frankston

Incredible win by Dolphins against the all the odds

Now back to Gold Coast next week for a game against Southport

Box Hill plays winner of Williamstown and Richmond

Hard to find words at the moment. I went into this game thinking we would probably lose, and at 3qt it looked over. Even for a lot of the 4th I thought there was no chance.

That's going to go down as one of the all-time great games in our history. And regardless of what happens next week, between today and the women's premiership it's been the best season we've had in decades.

Huge shoutout to the club for running a watch party in the clubrooms, and for the people who came and created a great atmosphere. The noise in those last few minutes was incredible.

You could probably go through some of my posts in here pre-season about Frankston and there would be some absolute shocking calls
In your defence though, nobody was touting Frankston to be anything special this year. Even I was tempering my expectations once the likes of Szybkowski and Owens left and saying "maybe we won't be completely shithouse". At the start of the season I'd have settled for 6-7 wins. Not in my wildest dreams would I have expected this.

In your defence though, nobody was touting Frankston to be anything special this year. Even I was tempering my expectations once the likes of Szybkowski and Owens left and saying "maybe we won't be completely shithouse". At the start of the season I'd have settled for 6-7 wins. Not in my wildest dreams would I have expected this.
I'm so confused how they have done this after losing so many good players and bringing in like two okay players. It should be studied. I also remember talking some smack about the point of having a full time coach in a part time environment but maybe that did actually help a ton.

I'm so confused how they have done this after losing so many good players and bringing in like two okay players. It should be studied. I also remember talking some smack about the point of having a full time coach in a part time environment but maybe that did actually help a ton.
I think having a full-time coach has absolutely been a big help, even if it's still a part-time playing group. Being full-time means that Jackson is far more accessible to playing group if there's ever anything they want to talk to him about. I've frequently seen him around the club during weekdays even when training isn't running.

I think one thing that might be going unnoticed by outside viewers is the culture change that Jackson has brought with him. To me it's clear that he's well-liked by the playing group and he's talked a lot about creating an environment that they enjoy being part of. I think that goes a long way and from what I've seen the players have really embraced being part of the club. Quite a few of them were in attendance for the women's Div 3 grand final this year and not only did they make a lot of noise in support of the girls, they also formed a makeshift cheer squad with the Div 1 girls in the last quarter. That level of enthusiasm and unity was pleasantly surprising.

As for the players themselves, I can't deny that both Grey and Milne have been fantastic for us this year, but I think there are a fair few who haven't gotten as much fanfare. Josh Smith has had a pretty solid season, especially given he missed a solid chunk of it due to the Parker incident. Matt Johnson came 4th in the Frosty Medal count, Blake O'Leary and Trent Mynott have been pretty reliable all year, Ollie Moran has looked more and more comfortable at VFL level with each game, Taine Barlow has shown how good he can be this year despite some clangers, Gown hasn't been kicking bags of goals each week but he's a solid mark and absolutely can be dangerous up there. Taj Campbell-Farrell and Nick Burke have been handy pickups for us. And then you've also got guys like Sharp, Coe, and Nelson who weren't regulars in the side but have shown potential.

Jackson and his staff have done a pretty good job of spotting the areas where we need more talent, and then spotting talented players who otherwise fly under the radar (for instance Campbell-Farrell who spent a whole year on Williamstown's list without getting a game.) Goes to show that it's not all about big names.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think having a full-time coach has absolutely been a big help, even if it's still a part-time playing group. Being full-time means that Jackson is far more accessible to playing group if there's ever anything they want to talk to him about. I've frequently seen him around the club during weekdays even when training isn't running.

I think one thing that might be going unnoticed by outside viewers is the culture change that Jackson has brought with him. To me it's clear that he's well-liked by the playing group and he's talked a lot about creating an environment that they enjoy being part of. I think that goes a long way and from what I've seen the players have really embraced being part of the club. Quite a few of them were in attendance for the women's Div 3 grand final this year and not only did they make a lot of noise in support of the girls, they also formed a makeshift cheer squad with the Div 1 girls in the last quarter. That level of enthusiasm and unity was pleasantly surprising.

As for the players themselves, I can't deny that both Grey and Milne have been fantastic for us this year, but I think there are a fair few who haven't gotten as much fanfare. Josh Smith has had a pretty solid season, especially given he missed a solid chunk of it due to the Parker incident. Matt Johnson came 4th in the Frosty Medal count, Blake O'Leary and Trent Mynott have been pretty reliable all year, Ollie Moran has looked more and more comfortable at VFL level with each game, Taine Barlow has shown how good he can be this year despite some clangers, Gown hasn't been kicking bags of goals each week but he's a solid mark and absolutely can be dangerous up there. Taj Campbell-Farrell and Nick Burke have been handy pickups for us. And then you've also got guys like Sharp, Coe, and Nelson who weren't regulars in the side but have shown potential.

Jackson and his staff have done a pretty good job of spotting the areas where we need more talent, and then spotting talented players who otherwise fly under the radar (for instance Campbell-Farrell who spent a whole year on Williamstown's list without getting a game.) Goes to show that it's not all about big names.
I noted this a few pages back.. As good a player as Will Fordham is, as good a player as Kai Owens is, Taylin Duman etc. Frankston has always based its soul on workmanlike blue collar work ethic. Those guys may have taken it to the next level but the bottom half of recent seasons have been poor. Padding out the bottom end has been as important as it is the top end.

Just imagine you look around the VFL and bring in Frankston locals back to the Dolphins then they could be a serious challenger.

Cant be bothered going through every VFL list but Brodie McClachlan (now at Williamstown), Dan Capiron (local to Frankston but living in Geelong as VFL captain I believe), Campbell Hustwaite (Rosebud junior), Richmond have a plethora of locals to Frankston (Street, Harris to name a couple).

Add these guys to what the Dolphins have built and you just never know. The culture has drastically changed this season from, try not to get blown away, too, can we win?

I noted this a few pages back.. As good a player as Will Fordham is, as good a player as Kai Owens is, Taylin Duman etc. Frankston has always based its soul on workmanlike blue collar work ethic. Those guys may have taken it to the next level but the bottom half of recent seasons have been poor. Padding out the bottom end has been as important as it is the top end.

Just imagine you look around the VFL and bring in Frankston locals back to the Dolphins then they could be a serious challenger.

Cant be bothered going through every VFL list but Brodie McClachlan (now at Williamstown), Dan Capiron (local to Frankston but living in Geelong as VFL captain I believe), Campbell Hustwaite (Rosebud junior), Richmond have a plethora of locals to Frankston (Street, Harris to name a couple).

Add these guys to what the Dolphins have built and you just never know. The culture has drastically changed this season from, try not to get blown away, too, can we win?
That's been a big priority for the club this year: being the first prefence for players on the Mornington Peninsula. In years past there have apparently been a lot of VFL-listed players living a stone's throw from Frankston Park and travelling longer distances to play for other VFL teams. Cearly something's not right if players are overlooking their nearest club.

That's been a big priority for the club this year: being the first prefence for players on the Mornington Peninsula. In years past there have apparently been a lot of VFL-listed players living a stone's throw from Frankston Park and travelling longer distances to play for other VFL teams. Cearly something's not right if players are overlooking their nearest club.
Hopefully Jacko can build on it.. MRobbo any inside info mate?

Likely week 1 Finals Fixture
SATURDAY
First Elimination Final

Southport vs Frankston at Fankhauser Reserve 12:05pm - AFL App
First Qualifying Final
Werribee vs Geelong at Avalon Airport Oval 12:05pm - 7mate(7plus)
2nd Qualifying Final
Footscray vs Brisbane at Whitten Oval 12:05pm - AFL App
2nd Elimination Final
Box Hill Hawks vs Williamstown at Fenjiu Stadium 3:05pm - 7mate(7plus)

Last edited:
Likely week 1 Finals Fixture
SATURDAY
First Elimination Final

Southport vs Frankston at Fankhauser Reserve 12:05pm - AFL App
First Qualifying Final
Werribee vs Geelong at Avalon Airport Oval 12:05pm - 7mate(7plus)
2nd Qualifying Final
Footscray vs Brisbane at Whitten Oval 12:05pm - AFL App
2nd Elimination Final
Box Hill Hawks vs Williamstown at Fenjiu Stadium 3:05pm - 7mate(7plus)
I hope you are very wrong. Why would they clash 3/4 games. pls stand in and stop this, AFL.

It's incredibly stupid and a massive middle finger to 6 out of 8 teams who won't have their games televised.
Might be alright during the H&A season but this is the finals we're talking about.
your maths is off but yeah.

Unfortunately it's not really up to the league though but surely they can still step in and tell some of them to get ****ed

Channel 7 confirmed next Saturday on 7mate
Werribee game at 12:05pm
Box Hill game at 3:05pm

This was shown at half time of todays game

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 VFL Season - Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back