VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Poulter will qualify for the VFL finals even if he finishes the season in the AFL side because of that rule
Yep I understand but it’s overall a garbage rule. If the AFL team gets bundled out while the VFL team is still playing it’s completely reasonable for Poulter to be allowed to play while Sanders can’t. What’s not reasonable is that Sanders can’t play VFL even if the AFL team is still playing. The old rules were not like that and worked fine.

I posted up the rules so let’s just say if sanders and Gallagher finish the season in the VFL. They can’t play in the VFL series because Sanders and Gallagher have played 14 and 17 games respectively
If the afl team is still in finals and they aren't selected for afl they can play in the VFL. If they couldn't they'd have no way to press for selected and no way to keep match fitness if they were needed at afl level due to injury.

If the afl team is still in finals and they aren't selected for afl they can play in the VFL. If they couldn't they'd have no way to press for selected and no way to keep match fitness if they were needed at afl level due to injury.
That’s not what the rule I posted up didn’t state

Really hope JOD came out unscathed.

Could potentially be his 4th concussion in 2 years which is very dangerous territory.
You’d have to think if it’s another one even if minor (whatever that means for concussions) we’d be a chance to just put him on ice for the rest of year.

Sorry, are we talking about JOD or English?
Has a JOD concussion on the weekend been confirmed?

He got hit in the head vs Casey late on Friday but no concussion confirmed, my bet is that we were already well in front and just benched him for the rest of the game because he wasn't needed out there.

Watching the game was fun. Player reports3

- Sanders: Have we seen a more dominant first quarter than Sanders in this game - I think he was something like 18 possessions and two goals. Could have gone home and may have still won BOG. But I as how he played - power and run straight through the guts and then followed up. Finished with 39 and 3 and could easily have had 5-7 missed a couple and handed off at least 2.

- Macrae - didn’t notice him as much until later in the game when his fast hands and smart play stood out. 42 possessions was a great game and he was clearly the leader - telling people where to go.

- Friejah next best. Was really composed and both score and set ups. Couple but also got back to save a couple. He bullied a couple of senior players on him - he is a big unit for a 18/19 year old. Was rested for most of the last quarter as emergency for AFL. He has time that only a few players have - looks and absolute steal.

- Baker was great - solid and finished well. He looks good floating forward - he just has forward instincts and finds space - wouldn’t be surprised to see him more forward and is a very good kick - was very windy and he missed at least one but otherwise looked great.

- Buss was very solid - he played a bit on Ben Brown and did fairly well. Wasn’t as dominant as previous weeks but looks really good.

- JOD was good but did get beaten a few times and wasn’t timing his marks. But he is such a fast mover - he has something special but look a little bit short of a run. Got a really bad front on shoulder hit late in the game and went down for a while. Umpire Stevie Wonder didn’t give an obvious 50. He had to go off and didn’t come back. Hope he hasn’t been concussed.

- Keath is looking fit and did some good things but also some confusing ones. He is a solid player and is great coverage for Jones and Lobb but doesn’t stand out anymore against Buss and JOD has speed and aerial game he doesn’t have. Not sure we will see much of him next year but he is an AFL quality KPD so handy if fit.

- Gallagher Is confusing- he has speed and power but doesn’t look great even at this level - he gets caught too easily trying to run through people that never seemed to work. Looked like an Auskicker. But then his hands were good and he burst through and looks Ok?

- Cleary was OK. He is good cover for Dale and did look like he was prepared to attack more. He does have speed and is decent on the air. He has gotten better but doesn’t set the world on fire.

- Lachie Smith was solid - had the better of Fullarton not bad for an 18 year old. Is developing well.

- Neither Clarke nor Artie did much at all which is disappointing. Is am not sure I have wanted anyone to succeed more than Artie and he is trying but not there yet.

- Bedendo didn’t do much either. A couple of flashes of the talent we have all seen but being played as a tall forward where we are short players and it isn’t working. Doesn’t look to have improved much.

No sign the of Rypstra.

A few of the VFL players did well. CCP continues to look at cut above and shows real power. Kellet did some good things. Funny though - no 51 look like he kicked the ball the wrong way to a Casey player who turned and kicked a goal - great pass - but wrong team!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny though - no 51 look like he kicked the ball the wrong way to a Casey player who turned and kicked a goal - great pass - but wrong team!
I saw this too and wasn't sure if he was trying the relieving back pass, or whether he genuinely kicked it the wrong way. I tend to believe the latter more than the former. Nothing much was made of it on commentary though.

I saw this too and wasn't sure if he was trying the relieving back pass, or whether he genuinely kicked it the wrong way. I tend to believe the latter more than the former. Nothing much was made of it on commentary though.
It wasn’t a goal. McAdam put it on the full

Did Freijah look quick? I haven’t worked out if he is or he isn’t yet. I haven’t seen him run down yet but I can’t work out if it is his lopey ( it’s a real word) running style that makes him look slower than he really is.
Bont is lopey.

I rest my case, your honour.

Did Freijah look quick? I haven’t worked out if he is or he isn’t yet. I haven’t seen him run down yet but I can’t work out if it is his lopey ( it’s a real word) running style that makes him look slower than he really is.

Reminds me a bit of bailey williams in that he seems oblivious to opposition pressure - very even and never rushed no matter the situation, even when perhaps you would like to see a little more hustle

He's crazy quick - saw him up close in the VFL and his acceleration is ridiculous. Hard to spot though, considering how tall he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2024 VFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back