List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jasper Alger interests me as a small forward later on in the draft. Very clever player and has a really late December b'day.
Whilst looking at guys who have late Birthdays. James Barrat as a LJones replacement looks good. Listed at 193cm but I think he will measure around 195cm at the combine. If we could get him in the second or third round I'd be thrilled.

Whilst looking at guys who have late Birthdays. James Barrat as a LJones replacement looks good. Listed at 193cm but I think he will measure around 195cm at the combine. If we could get him in the second or third round I'd be thrilled.
Probably one area I see as a definite need for our list right now. Need another young KPD on the list and need to find some players who can step in for our older midfielders when they inevitably slow down.

Probably one area I see as a definite need for our list right now. Need another young KPD on the list and need to find some players who can step in for our older midfielders when they inevitably slow down.
That and a small defender capable of playing next year to replace Duryea.

Likely goes to Blues or Essendon. His range is about 10-15 so just before where we likely have a pick.
I'd imagine Hotton slides out of the top 15 with his ACL injury, he was almost a lock for top 5 before hand. He is the one I'd be realisticly targeting If we ended up with geelongs first.
Would definitely take the punt on Hotton if we get the chance. From what I have read could start on a wing before moving onto inside mid rotation

Unless his ACL effects his mobility and speed drastically (unlikely) it'd have to be a significant drop off for him to turn out the dud brother. The elder hotton is on the cusp of delist material at the moment.
Hayden Young is the younger but better brother. Hopefully if can get him Taj follows in Hayden's footsteps

Would definitely take the punt on Hotton if we get the chance. From what I have read could start on a wing before moving onto inside mid rotation
I see him starting as a high half forward. Even as he matures I'd say he splits time between half forward and inside midfield. He is a real threat in the forward half.

Don't think he would be capable of stepping straight up to regular afl football next year. Will either need to draft a mature ager or look for options through the trade period.
Haven’t watched Richmond much this year but would be interested in Vlaustin on last form. He’s 3 years younger than Duryea but at 30 years old not much point him hanging around Richmond?

This is the list the way I see it.

Red text = Players we need to look at replacing (Probably gone in 1-3 years)

Blue text = Injury prone

Orange text = Potentially traded

Purple Text = Delisted

List

Tall Defenders –

Jedd Busslinger (20)

Rory Lobb (31)

James O’Donnell (22)

Liam Jones (33)

Buku Khamis (24)

Alex Keath (32)

Ryan Gardner (27)

Small/Medium Defenders –

Taylor Duryea (33)

Nick Coffield (24)

Lachlan Bramble (26)

Bailey Dale (28)

Luke Cleary (22)

Jason Johannisen (31)

Wingers/Utilities

Harvey Gallagher (20)

Oskar Baker (26)

James Harmes (28)

Caleb Poulter (21)

Joel Freijah (18)

Anthony Scott (29)

Bailey Williams (26)

Caleb Daniel (28)

Midfielders –

Adam Treloar (31)

Marcus Bontempelli (28)

Bailey Smith (23)

Ryley Sanders (19)

Jack Macrae (30)

Ed Richards (25)

Tom Liberatore (32)

Riley Garcia (23)

Tall Forwards

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (22)

Sam Darcy (21)

Jordan Croft (19)

Aaron Naughton (24)

Medium/small forwards

Cody Weightmen (23)

Charlie Clarke (20)

Rhylee West (24)

Laitham Vandermeer (25)

Dom Bedendo (22)

Lachlan McNeil (22)

Kelsey Rypstra (20)

Arthur Jones (21)

Rucks

Lachlan Smith (18)

Tim English (27)

Summary

Defence

This is the area we need to bolster all from tall, medium to small and this is a good draft to do that. We do potentially have a good line of young tall defenders in the future in JOD, Buss and Croft. Not sure where the club sees Croft, maybe they even switch Naughton and leave Croft forward not sure. All in all, I don't see it as a disaster if we don't get one in, but another young tall defender is something we should at least look at. As for our mediums, Cleary is looking like a bust, Coffield is injury prone and I'm not sure if best 22. Williams can go back, Freijah can too, but both of their futures look more in the midfield IMO. For our small defenders Duryea is our best lockdown and could retire as early as this year. This is really a priority particularly with Richards moving into the midfield. As for our running defenders, JJ too could be retiring this year with injuries mounting. Depending on where we see Gallagher in the future and Daniel getting traded our running defenders do look a bit thin also.

Midfield/Wings

This is an area which does have a lot of colour, but it's not as bad as it seems. Bont, Richards and Sanders do form a very good starting midfield into the future. I do think Macrae should be held on to, if not we simply have to select a genuine midfielder with this pick. As for our wings we've actually invested a bit into this with Freijah, Jones and Gallagher. Gallagher has been used more as a mid/fwd type from what I can gather and Jones has been used more forward and may not make the grade. Fair few questions I have in this area, so maybe one more quality winger would be beneficial.

Forwards

Our talls forwards are our biggest strength and will be for some years to come. As for our mediums, Bedendo should be delisted and Weightmen can play this role, but we probably don't need him to with the 3 talls anyway. As for the small forwards we really do lack quality in this area. Really McNeil, Vandermeer and Rypstra don't really have the X-factor and goal nous to be considered quality IMO. At least Clarke has some goal nous, but is quite poorly skilled, so I don't know. This is an area we do need to upgrade in IMO.

Rucks

Bit of an unusual one as it looks bare, however Darcy and Lobb could be starting rucks, so we look much better for it. English signed for another 5 years and Smith is progressing well for a first year player. We could look at a raw ruck maybe in the rookie draft, preferably as a Cat B rookie.

Summary

This is what I think we need

Defenders - Small defenders in particular (talls and mediums we could do with as well)
Midfielders - Onballers, preferably ones that can play in other positions until they are ready. A quality winger also
Forwards - Quality small forwards
Rucks - Ok in this area (maybe a raw ruck to develop into the future)

Last edited:
This is the list the way I see it.

Red text = Players we need to look at replacing (Probably gone in 1-3 years)

Blue text = Injury prone

Orange text = Potentially traded

Gone = Delisted

List

Tall Defenders –

Jedd Busslinger (20)

Rory Lobb (31)

James O’Donnell (22)

Liam Jones (33)

Buku Khamis (24)

Alex Keath (32)

Ryan Gardner (27)

Small/Medium Defenders –

Taylor Duryea (33)

Nick Coffield (24)

Lachlan Bramble (26)

Bailey Dale (28)

Luke Cleary (22)

Jason Johannisen (31)

Wingers/Utilities

Harvey Gallagher (20)

Oskar Baker (26)

James Harmes (28)

Caleb Poulter (21)

Joel Freijah (18)

Anthony Scott (29)

Bailey Williams (26)

Caleb Daniel (28)

Midfielders –

Adam Treloar (31)

Marcus Bontempelli (28)

Bailey Smith (23)

Ryley Sanders (19)

Jack Macrae (30)

Ed Richards (25)

Tom Liberatore (32)

Riley Garcia (23)

Tall Forwards

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (22)

Sam Darcy (21)

Jordan Croft (19)

Aaron Naughton (24)

Medium/small forwards

Cody Weightmen (23)

Charlie Clarke (20)

Rhylee West (24)

Laitham Vandermeer (25)

Dom Bedendo (22)

Lachlan McNeil (22)

Kelsey Rypstra (20)

Arthur Jones (21)

Rucks

Lachlan Smith (18)

Tim English (27)

Summary

Defence

This is the area we need to bolster all from tall, medium to small and this is a good draft to do that. We do potentially have a good line of young tall defenders in the future in JOD, Buss and Croft. Not sure where the club sees Croft, maybe they even switch Naughton and leave Croft forward not sure. All in all, I don't see it as a disaster if we don't get one in, but another young tall defender is something we should at least look at. As for our mediums, Cleary is looking like a bust, Coffield is injury prone and I'm not sure if best 22. Williams can go back, Freijah can too, but both of their futures look more in the midfield IMO. For our small defenders Duryea is our best lockdown and could retire as early as this year. This is really a priority particularly with Richards moving into the midfield. As for our running defenders, JJ too could be retiring this year with injuries mounting. Depending on where we see Gallagher in the future and Daniel getting traded our running defenders do look a bit thin also.

Midfield/Wings

This is an area which does have a lot of colour, but it's not as bad as it seems. Bont, Richards and Sanders do form a very good starting midfield into the future. I do think Macrae should be held on to, if not we simply have to select a genuine midfielder with this pick. As for our wings we've actually invested a bit into this with Freijah, Jones and Gallagher. Gallagher has been used more as a mid/fwd type from what I can gather and Jones has been used more forward and may not make the grade. Fair few questions I have in this area, so maybe one more quality winger would be beneficial.

Forwards

Our talls forwards are our biggest strength and will be for some years to come. As for our mediums, Bedendo should be delisted and Weightmen can play this role, but we probably don't need him to with the 3 talls anyway. As for the small forwards we really do lack quality in this area. Really McNeil, Vandermeer and Rypstra don't really have the X-factor and goal nous to be considered quality IMO. At least Clarke has some goal nous, but is quite poorly skilled, so I don't know. This is an area we do need to upgrade in IMO.

Rucks

Bit of an unusual one as it looks bare, however Darcy and Lobb could be starting rucks, so we look much better for it. English signed for another 5 years and Smith is progressing well for a first year player. We could look at a raw ruck maybe in the rookie draft, preferably as a Cat B rookie.

Summary

This is what I think we need

Defenders - Small defenders in particular (talls and mediums we could do with as well)
Midfielders - Onballers, preferably ones that can play in other positions until they are ready. A quality winger also
Forwards - Quality small forwards
Rucks - Ok in this area (maybe a raw ruck to develop into the future)
Ideally getting two first round picks in the 10-20 range would be good for us. Bo Allen/Cooper Hynes + plus one of the flankers I'm that range would be a good get for our list build.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally getting two first round picks in the 10-20 range would be good for us. Bo Allen/Cooper Hynes + plus one of the flankers I'm that range would be a good get for our list build.
I'd actually be comfortable with pulling the trigger on Harrison Oliver in that range. Gets a year to develop in 2025 and takes Duryea's spot the year after.

Early list and draft analysis from Fox Sports.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Draft picks:
33, 44

List chasm: For a long time, it looked as though the Bulldogs needed some key defensive depth, but Rory Lobb’s transformation from a maligned forward to a star intercept defender has been incredible. They’ve also got young Jedd Busslinger waiting in the wings for a debut, the club’s first selection of the 2022 draft. The Bulldogs are well stocked on every line and Luke Beveridge has this team absolutely humming ahead of an exciting 2024 finals campaign. If we’re being pedantic, could the Bulldogs do with some reinforcements across half-back?

Ideal draft prospects: One name the Bulldogs will hope slides to their selection is Sandringham Dragons tough nut Harrison Oliver. Oliver is as courageous as they come and is an elite ball user, averaging 16 disposals at 83% efficiency for Vic Metro in their title winning run. His ability to break the lines was a key driver in his selection as an All-Australian. South Australian Angus Clarke could be another option here, as could Northern Knights gem Zak Johnson.

Early list and draft analysis from Fox Sports.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Draft picks:
33, 44

List chasm: For a long time, it looked as though the Bulldogs needed some key defensive depth, but Rory Lobb’s transformation from a maligned forward to a star intercept defender has been incredible. They’ve also got young Jedd Busslinger waiting in the wings for a debut, the club’s first selection of the 2022 draft. The Bulldogs are well stocked on every line and Luke Beveridge has this team absolutely humming ahead of an exciting 2024 finals campaign. If we’re being pedantic, could the Bulldogs do with some reinforcements across half-back?

Ideal draft prospects: One name the Bulldogs will hope slides to their selection is Sandringham Dragons tough nut Harrison Oliver. Oliver is as courageous as they come and is an elite ball user, averaging 16 disposals at 83% efficiency for Vic Metro in their title winning run. His ability to break the lines was a key driver in his selection as an All-Australian. South Australian Angus Clarke could be another option here, as could Northern Knights gem Zak Johnson.

Hope Johnson is mentioned due to us being keen.

I doubt Oliver gets to our current picks but he’d be a ripper.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope Johnson is mentioned due to us being keen.

I doubt Oliver gets to our current picks but he’d be a ripper.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah probably not.

Oliver seems like a good Doc replacement. Berry would be a good small forward option. Of course we won't be in the range of MIDS like Lalor or Smillie. But it is a deep class, where no doubt a couple of teams will find an elite prospect later, that will turn out better than some of the higher rated guys.

I genuinely think this is a good draft to cover our areas of need. A damaging inside beast with pace, defensive game and that can hurt you in attack. Small forward. Small defender. Possible even a wing.

I think this draft is deep in all those positions. Just not talls. If we need to trade in next years picks (I don't care about the FS guys atm, none are A grade atm and we can deal with that issue come next year), stockpile picks this year and move up the order to a team needing points. We have a few options we can do.

If we can snag an elite mid, a small forward and small defender. I think we'd have done well.

From a very surface level watch of some footage, I think Xavier Lindsay or Harry Oliver would suit us really well around our 1st / 2nd picks. Lindsay especially seems to have something special about him that suits the modern game with his precision kicking and offensive mindset. Would partner Sanders beautifully long term. Oliver is a tough one to gauge his range, but I think i'd be comfortable moving up a few spots to grab him if we didn't think he'd reach our 2nd rounder. He's just got that competitive nature about him, would be an ideal Doc replacement and is a neat kick.

Very perplexed with who'll we take this year, but after picking Freijah out of the rough last year I fully back our team to snag us a player that suits our team needs well.

Yeah probably not.

Oliver seems like a good Doc replacement. Berry would be a good small forward option. Of course we won't be in the range of MIDS like Lalor or Smillie. But it is a deep class, where no doubt a couple of teams will find an elite prospect later, that will turn out better than some of the higher rated guys.

I genuinely think this is a good draft to cover our areas of need. A damaging inside beast with pace, defensive game and that can hurt you in attack. Small forward. Small defender. Possible even a wing.

I think this draft is deep in all those positions. Just not talls. If we need to trade in next years picks (I don't care about the FS guys atm, none are A grade atm and we can deal with that issue come next year), stockpile picks this year and move up the order to a team needing points. We have a few options we can do.

If we can snag an elite mid, a small forward and small defender. I think we'd have done well.
I'd be happy to snag a small forward and a small defender (really like Harrison Oliver) early then grab Luke Urquhart later on - kid's kicking can be hit or miss but 190cm kids with that level of competitive nature do tend to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back