Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

Last edited:
I had a feeling the only WA players would be those who were selected in the WA state 18's which by the way was chosen some months ago.

Sam Swadling (WP) is a glaring and bitterly disappointing omission.

Anybody who has watched the last eight weeks of colts would agree I'm certain. Judd Marcello (WP) a "bit" unlucky also.

Swadling and Marcello have just been named in the 2024 Colts team of the year as below agers. It's a fair indicator.

But fair play to all the players selected from where ever they may reside. It will be exciting to watch them progress.

I'm a bit confused. He's in dees NGA, but not eligible?

NO ACCESS FOR DEES NGA TALENT​

MELBOURNE will not have access to tall forward prospect Tairon Ah-Mu under Next Generation Academy rules when the 17-year-old hits his draft season next year.

Ah-Mu is a member of the Demons' NGA program but under the AFL's eligibility criteria, he does not qualify for the club to have any priority access over him as a draftee.

Ah-Mu kicked three goals for the Dandenong Stingrays on Saturday against the Gippsland Power, taking the straight-kicking key forward's tally to 21.5 from 10 games this season.

Ah-Mu, who has Samoan descent, is 198cm and also has featured for the under-17s futures team as well as playing under Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd at Haileybury College in Melbourne.

Former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne player Stuart Cochrane has written to the AFL to have his sons Douglas and Tom be a part of the Power's NGA system as he explores his Indigenous background.

Tom is eligible for this year's draft while Douglas was the standout player of the under-16s carnival and is considered a No.1 pick contender in 2026. They are expected to have provisional access to be a part of the NGA development program but any decision on draft access to the pair has not been made

MELBOURNE will not have access to tall forward prospect Tairon Ah-Mu under Next Generation Academy rules when the 17-year-old hits his draft season next year.

Ah-Mu is a member of the Demons' NGA program but under the AFL's eligibility criteria, he does not qualify for the club to have any priority access over him as a draftee.

Ah-Mu kicked three goals for the Dandenong Stingrays on Saturday against the Gippsland Power, taking the straight-kicking key forward's tally to 21.5 from 10 games this season.

Ah-Mu, who has Samoan descent, is 198cm and also has featured for the under-17s futures team as well as playing under Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd at Haileybury College in Melbourne.

Former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne player Stuart Cochrane has written to the AFL to have his sons Douglas and Tom be a part of the Power's NGA system as he explores his Indigenous background.

Tom is eligible for this year's draft while Douglas was the standout player of the under-16s carnival and is considered a No.1 pick contender in 2026. They are expected to have provisional access to be a part of the NGA development program but any decision on draft access to the pair has not been made

Melbourne, AFL & NGA. Name a more iconic trio 😂😂

Can anyone give more insight on Jevan Phillipou?

Made the SA futures squad but not the overall U17 squad

Also racked up 36 disposals last month in an U18 SANFL game as a bottom ager

Is listed as 180 to 182cm but may have scope to grow further given his brother is 190+

Top 10? 20? 30?

This is seriously becoming a genuine joke.

It doesn't even explain why he's eligible except for some criteria that he doesn't meet? I thought they adjusted the whole rules purely so clubs would get full access to their NGA propsect and yet it's still not enough..

First Mac Andrew and now Ah-Mu..

This is seriously becoming a genuine joke.

It doesn't even explain why he's eligible except for some criteria that he doesn't meet? I thought they adjusted the whole rules purely so clubs would get full access to their NGA propsect and yet it's still not enough..

First Mac Andrew and now Ah-Mu..
Ah Man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't it part of the new NGA changes that clubs don't get access to players unless the players have been in their NGA for some time?
Nah. basically the rules are, whoever the dees get, they don't get.

The AFL has stolen 2 members of our bloody spine. Key defender in Mac Andrew and Key fwd/ruck in Ah-mu. Damn afl is so unfair, it's not even close to an even competition. The Mac Andrew debacle will have a 10-15 year impact and potentially the same with Ah-mu. Not to mention all of the players that won't come to us because of the lack of kids coming through.

Jason Taylor needs to ask for compensation or sue the AFL immediately.

AFL to MFC Re NGAs
Seinfeld Soup GIF

Reckon there’s a clue in there regarding Ah-Mu. Players of Pacific Island descent aren’t eligible for priority access for whatever reason.

AFL hinting, but unsurprisingly not having the integrity to come out with it.

Reckon there’s a clue in there regarding Ah-Mu. Players of Pacific Island descent aren’t eligible for priority access for whatever reason.

Would explain why Paul Curtis wasn't eligible for the Doggies even though he was in their NGA and has Tongan descent.

Then disqualify him for qualifying to be in their academy.
Like what is even the point.. We're gonna help develop you, but we can't have access to you (even when NGA access is back to normal) because the afl have decided there is some weird critieria rule lol

Would explain why Paul Curtis wasn't eligible for the Doggies even though he was in their NGA and has Tongan descent.
Oh, he was in their academy? I didn't realise that. Just though he was in the open draft. He is one of my friends, mates, I should ask him about it.

Oh, he was in their academy? I didn't realise that. Just though he was in the open draft. He is one of my friends, mates, I should ask him about it.
Yep, and according to this, he did too.

Screenshot_20240911_202551_Chrome.jpg

Then disqualify him for qualifying to be in their academy.
Like what is even the point.. We're gonna help develop you, but we can't have access to you (even when NGA access is back to normal) because the afl have decided there is some weird critieria rule lol
Either have an NGA or get rid off it. Don't have it both ways when it suits them to disadvantage clubs whilst allowing other clubs access to their own NGAs

The AFL has NFI re NGAs.

I really wanted Ah-Mu too.

Not sure I'm understanding the situation correctly, but could this have any impact on the Rodan boys at the Essendon NGA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back