Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Much appreciated.. So this year 2024 ( in basic terms ) isn't a super draft, it's just basically the 2nd & 3rd & 4th round are all even...
Quite even with lots of good players where in some forms people are calling it a super draft.

I think 2025 will be better than this year.

We must take into account that Allies, WA and Vic Metro are already looking super good.

Not all the names may come from the usual souces but the names are certainly there.

We just have to look in different areas to find the gold.

2025 for mine has a pointier top end but less depth than this year
At this time last year I don't think we were viewing the 2024 draft class as this incredibly deep and rich pool of talent. It became that as kids continued to put their hands up across the season.

Its typically the elite talents that force themselves into prominent roles in their bottom age campaign, but then the deeper prospects often emerge more in their top-age campaign with increased opportunity and perhaps another pre-season, another year of physical maturity etc.

In fact, I remember many people being worried about how poor the academy squad looked in those games and were concerned even then that this was going to be a poor draft class. The idea of this being a deep draft didnt start to become discussed until a few weeks into the champs.

At this time last year I don't think we were viewing the 2024 draft class as this incredibly deep and rich pool of talent. It became that as kids continued to put their hands up across the season.

Its typically the elite talents that force themselves into prominent roles in their bottom age campaign, but then the deeper prospects often emerge more in their top-age campaign with increased opportunity and perhaps another pre-season, another year of physical maturity etc.

In fact, I remember many people being worried about how poor the academy squad looked in those games and were concerned even then that this was going to be a poor draft class. The idea of this being a deep draft didnt start to become discussed until a few weeks into the champs.
Not sure if this is entirely correct.

There was a fair bit of talk last year about how many bottom age kids were playing across the CTL.

There was a fair bit of discussion that this might be a deeper draft than recent years.

This was my post in Davo-27 thread from April.

IMG_3731.jpeg

I've seen a fair few of the talents for this 2025 draft play over the years during:
  • Coates Talent League at U19/U16 level
  • School football
  • 2023 U16 National Championships
  • 2024 U17 Futures Match
And wanted to do a prediction, as this draft seems very open and has a lot of room for some people to fly up the ranks. User Davo-27 created his mock draft in the 2024 Draft Thread, so I decided to have a look and see which 2nd round picks I've noticed, and believe can be massive risers in their next year of footy before the draft. I've picked three from VIC Metro that are most likely to rise up the ranks, higher than they are projected now.

1. Cooper Duff Tyler (Calder Cannons):
Serious potential in this one. An athletic specimen, but moves so incredibly well for his size. Could be the blueprint for a Bontempelli-like modern midfielder that so many teams are looking for, and could even play the role of a key forward. A raw talent, but just off his potential alone, I wouldn't be suprised if he makes his way to a top 10 pick by the end of the year, keep an eye on him to rise massively in 2025.
Currently projected: Mid-Late 1st Round
Prediction: Top 10

2. Mitch Moate (Northern Knights):
An explosive midfielder rated highly by his peers for his work ethic and clean skills with ball in hand. Unfortunately suffered an ACL injury this year, stopping him from playing for the majority of the year. However in 2023, he had a fantastic year, representing VIC Metro in the National Champs, and playing very well in the majority of his U16's Futures games for the knights. Seeing him still at a second round projection after missing a year is promising, definitely someone to look out for in season 2025.
Currently projected: Mid-Late 2nd Round
Prediction: Mid 1st Round

3. Xavier Bamert (Sandringham Dragons)
Didn't play much football this year, suffered a shoulder injury in the 2024 Coates Grand Final, which forced him to miss the U17's futures match at the MCG on grand final day. Fantastic runner and covers the ground tremendously, along with being a strong mark and having great ball use.
Prediction: Mid-Late 1st Round

Last edited:
I've seen a fair few of the talents for this 2025 draft play over the years during:
  • Coates Talent League at U19/U16 level
  • School football
  • 2023 U16 National Championships
  • 2024 U17 Futures Match
And wanted to do a prediction, as this draft seems very open and has a lot of room for some people to fly up the ranks. User Davo-27 created his mock draft in the 2024 Draft Thread, so I decided to have a look and see which 2nd round picks I've noticed, and believe can be massive risers in their next year of footy before the draft. I've picked three that are most likely to rise up the ranks, higher than they are projected now.

1. Cooper Duff Tyler (Calder Cannons):
Serious potential in this one. An athletic specimen, but moves so incredibly well for his size. Could be the blueprint for a Bontempelli-like modern midfielder that so many teams are looking for, and could even play the role of a key forward. A raw talent, but just off his potential alone, I wouldn't be suprised if he makes his way to a top 10 pick by the end of the year, keep an eye on him to rise massively in 2025.
Currently projected: Mid-Late 1st Round
Prediction: Top 10

2. Mitch Moate (Northern Knights):
An explosive midfielder rated highly by his peers for his work ethic and clean skills with ball in hand. Unfortunately suffered an ACL injury this year, stopping him from playing for the majority of the year. However in 2023, he had a fantastic year, representing VIC Metro in the National Champs, and playing very well in the majority of his U16's Futures games for the knights. Seeing him still at a second round projection after missing a year is promising, definitely someone to look out for in season 2025.
Prediction: Mid 1st Round

3. Xavier Bamert (Sandringham Dragons)
Didn't play much football this year, suffered a shoulder injury in the 2024 Coates Grand Final, which forced him to miss the U17's futures match at the MCG on grand final day. Fantastic runner and covers the ground tremendously, along with being a strong mark and having great ball use.
Prediction: Mid-Late 1st Round
Yes for sure mate. Vics will rise up the rankings. Those from other states will fall behind. Got it 100% mate.

Yes for sure mate. Vics will rise up the rankings. Those from other states will fall behind. Got it 100% mate.
Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I was just bringing up talents that have great potential, or talents that had injury affected years that I believe will rise. Being from Victoria, I haven't been able to judge talents from other states as much, espicially ones that are injury-affected, since they obviously would not be playing. It is hard to have a opinion on these players that is well-formed to make comments on them, when you have not been able to see them play in person.

If you have any players you feel will rise as well, let me know. I was just trying to put some names out there and predict who will rise next year, based off what I have seen. :)

Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but I was just bringing up talents that have great potential, or talents that had injury affected years that I believe will rise. Being from Victoria, I haven't been able to judge talents from other states as much, espicially ones that are injury-affected, since they obviously would not be playing. It is hard to have a opinion on these players that is well-formed to make comments on them, when you have not been able to see them play in person.

If you have any players you feel will rise as well, let me know. I was just trying to put some names out there and predict who will rise next year, based off what I have seen. :)
Don't worry bud.....just being sarcastic......I like to stir you Vics up from time to time but you folks are pretty mellow and never take the bait.

I'll keep an eye on those guys. I know Vic has plenty of talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it was a fairly deep draft from quite some time ago (a good year) So much so that I made a point of trading all my fantasy picks for future picks a year out in my keeper leagues as the depth was quite apparent early on. I think perhaps the third and 4th round depth has become a lot more apparent as you say in recent times. You will be hard pressed to find a more rounded draft than this year in recent times. If there's ever gunna be some guns picks up in the 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds etc, it will be this year. There's always ebbs and flows from year to year of types of player KP, mids, flankers etc.

Don't worry bud.....just being sarcastic......I like to stir you Vics up from time to time but you folks are pretty mellow and never take the bait.

I'll keep an eye on those guys. I know Vic has plenty of talent.
We just don't care about other states. Promise we will try to do better 😆

We just don't care about other states. Promise we will try to do better 😆
Thank goodness there isn't a cricket draft. The entire BBL and national team would be Vics.......haha....nah I realise in all seriousness that Vic is going to have the best players 3/3.5 years out of 5. (or 6/7 out of 10) But next year will be interesting.

I'm pretty excited by what the Allies seem to have for 2025 and I've been banging on about it being a good WA year, so it should be fun.

Thank goodness there isn't a cricket draft. The entire BBL and national team would be Vics.......haha....nah I realise in all seriousness that Vic is going to have the best players 3/3.5 years out of 5. (or 6/7 out of 10) But next year will be interesting.

I'm pretty excited by what the Allies seem to have for 2025 and I've been banging on about it being a good WA year, so it should be fun.

#NSWbias.

From the SANFL website.

2025 SANFL U18 State Academy​

Player (*Denotes bottom age)Height (CM)SANFL club
Dougie Cochrane*194Central District
Jack Gordon*184Central District
Matthew LeRay188Central District
Cameron Nairn186Central District
Joshua Reichelt180Central District
Aidan Schubert196Central District
Dyson Sharp188Central District
Luke Candy183Glenelg
Harry Franz*192Glenelg
Sam Cumming184North Adelaide
Ethan Herbert*198North Adelaide
Taj Murray200North Adelaide
Blake Oudshoorn-Bennier181North Adelaide
Noah Daw192Norwood
Jim Kelly179Norwood
Fergus Myall192Norwood
Bayln O'Brien185Norwood
Will Prescott180Norwood
Elliott Duffield192South Adelaide
Kodah Edwards*182South Adelaide
Archie Van Dyk*186South Adelaide
Angus White*182South Adelaide
Cain Florance*189South Adelaide
Harley Barker187Sturt
Jett Dahlitz186Sturt
Louis Kellaway182Sturt
Kale Matthews-Hampton*186Sturt
Noah Roberts-Thomson180Sturt
Blake Thredgold193Sturt
Mitchell Marsh189West Adelaide
Jack Cook180Woodville-West Torrens
Logan Hughes192Woodville-West Torrens
Jevan Phillipou181Woodville-West Torrens
Lachlan Sands178Woodville-West Torrens

* = underager.

Based on what I saw in the second half of the future's game plus bits of the past:

01: Dyson Sharp.
02: Beau Addinsall.
03: Fred Rodriguez.
04: Daniel Annable.
05: Zeke Uwland.
Interesting that you've got Beau Addinsall in the top 5. Do you think he's that highly rated or is it purely based on his performance in the U17s Futures game? I don't think any recruiters really had him on their radar as a potential first round pick until the Futures match performance.

Interesting that you've got Beau Addinsall in the top 5. Do you think he's that highly rated or is it purely based on his performance in the U17s Futures game? I don't think any recruiters really had him on their radar as a potential first round pick until the Futures match performance.

Just based on what I saw in the future's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back