HB- A.Saad M.McGovern N.Newman
C- B.Acres P.Cripps O.Hollands
HF- Z.Williams C.Curnow B.Kemp
F- J.Motlop H.McKay A.Moir
FOLL- T.De Koning A.Cerra S.Walsh
I/C- G.Hewett, E.Hollands, S.Docherty, J.Boyd, F.O’Sullivan

Emerg
C.Lord, L.Young, J.Silvagni, C.Durdin, M.Cottrell

If Cottrell, Fogarty or Fantasia are getting regular games next season then we are in strife. They are very very low quality AFL footballers. Failed midfielders plugging holes. Even Williams and Hollands aren't great as forwards, they are just good quality general AFL players and the best options we have.

I suspect in 12 months time we will be going all out after forwards and probably a key defender.

I'm hoping for something different and a new look and structure for our Best 23 next year

B: Docherty Silvagni McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Cowan
HF: Elijah McKay Williams
F: Moir Curnow Motlop
Foll: TDK Cerra Walsh
Int: Newman Kemp Durdin Hewett Lord

Docherty to help sure up defence and improve ball use
Ollie to HBF for more run
Cowan on a wing
McKay 2nd Ruck with Kemp as back up
Hoping Pick 3, Wilson, Binns, Campo twins, O'Keefe step up quickly
When you can't squeeze in Boyd Cincotta Fogarty things are going well

I'm hoping for something different and a new look and structure for our Best 23 next year

B: Docherty Silvagni McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Cowan
F: Moir Curnow Motlop
Int: Newman Kemp Durdin Hewett Lord

Docherty to help sure up defence and improve ball use
Ollie to HBF for more run
Cowan on a wing
McKay 2nd Ruck with Kemp as back up
Hoping Pick 3, Wilson, Binns, Campo twins, O'Keefe step up quickly
When you can't squeeze in Boyd Cincotta Fogarty things are going well
Not bad at all. Personally I would put Fog ahead of Motlop. Fog applies a lot of pressure around the ground which cause turnovers, which from what I've heard is the best scoring method.

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

B: Haynes JSoS McGovern
HB: Cincotta Weitering Saad

C: Acres Cripps Hollands

F: Kemp Curnow Motlop

Int: Hewett, Docherty, Mid/Runner, Mid/Runner

• JSoS to help fix the defensive hole of second key back and low IQ defensive structure.
  • Haynes to fix defensive intercept marking/reading the play. McGovern cant/wont do it. Hence the Haynes trade.
  • Docherty to fix problems in games fwd, mid, back.
  • Kemp to get first try as third fwd tall over Moir. Kemp has the characteristics and should show up with Harry/Charlie in the team. The Kemp (defence)/JSoS (ruck/fwd) gives utility value in case of need to switch things up.
  • Cincotta initially over Cowan for two things. IQ and slight extra speed on lockdown smalls. McGovern, Haynes, Saad and Weitering for rebound. Cincotta / JSoS for full lockdown roles.
Summary
  • The defensive six has speed (Saad, Cinc and McGovern), rebound and height structure.
  • The mids speak for themselves. A fit Cerra/Walsh solves most problems and along with Cripps has a shout for best mid group in 25.
  • The fwds is problematic outside of Mckay/charlie. Do you go creative fwds in motlop, Williams and Kemp or do you go defensive/pressure fwds in Cottrell/Orazio, Durdin, Fogerty etc. First shout is to trying creative/attacking. This all depends on the clubs transition plan. But they need to decide and set up for one or the other. Not mixed/confused.
  • The JSoS call depends on the mids pressure. Voss and the senior coaches need to solve that problem.
Tactically
  • Newman, Cowan and Boyd. All could be in the team and probably will be as it isnt me picking. I've left them out of my initial team on purpose based on roles and first opportunity. They would all be in the squad of players for games throughout the season. When it comes to specific roles round 1, they lose out to another player initially.
  • The Newman/Boyd calls really highlight the fact that footy right now is about roles rather than good players. Newman offers leadership, balanced skills between def/rebound, metres gained, slowness, onesided kicking and grit. In a way, 'deserves a spot'. But when looking at it from a roles perspective, he needs to play one of lockdown, rebound, interceptor or maybe all purpose defender. For lockdown, JSoS/Weits take the Key back roles leaving the smaller lockdown style role, interceptor, general defender/rebounder roles. The small defender/lockdown roles goes to Cinc who has the speed and can be given a specific job. Here, Newman fails on speed and people look to his other skills to potentially pick him but those other skills don't fit the 'lockdown role' as well as Cinc's traits. In terms of the interceptor role then Haynes is a proven commodity while Newman hasnt shown these traits. This simply leaves Newman up against Saad and McGovern as rebounders for mine. The battle for kicking, metres gained and run/speed. Saad is a lock and i have to say McGovern's speed and higher risk on kicking out of defence wins me over. Newman is a close backup to both of those guys. Dochery on the bench i'd use as cover rather than taking both Newman and doch into games. A speed issue carrying both and Docherty like Kemp offers huge utility. It's all marginal but roles based.
  • Orazio/Cottrell would be in the mix for the bench spot along with the pick 3 player.
  • Fogarty would make a side prepped for pressure over the one above that is prepped for goals. I'd have two sides with different levers. Fog would make the second side.
The coaching group
  • We've seen over the last 20 years everything change from it being 90% list mgmt & player quality that wins you flags to the modern day where transition play and a healthy list now play a much greater part.
  • We're now hugely reliant on what Vossy's team come up with as a plan. He has the player quality. So far is hasnt been great and i think if we dont win a flag with this group it is more on Voss.

Last edited:
If Cottrell, Fogarty or Fantasia are getting regular games next season then we are in strife. They are very very low quality AFL footballers. Failed midfielders plugging holes. Even Williams and Hollands aren't great as forwards, they are just good quality general AFL players and the best options we have.

I suspect in 12 months time we will be going all out after forwards and probably a key defender.
Fogarty is a very good player. Limited yes, but he's absolutely AFL quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2025 - Best 23 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back