20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I can live with that.

Again... There is 450,000 people live in the ACT. There is already a ground in Manuka oval to play footy there too. Just need the money to turn that into a 20-25,000 seat arena

It was already posted in the Canberra thread, but this article came out a week ago.

The ACT Government is funding a study into an upgrade. Basically what earlier plans have said, to upgrade the eastern side to bring it up to 20k for AFL and 18k for cricket.

Forget a new rectangular stadium. Manuka Oval might be the first major sporting venue in Canberra to get a significant facelift after the ACT government committed to design work for a new eastern grandstand.

In news that will boost Cricket ACT chairman bid for a men's Big Bash team, it can be revealed the government will fund a study as part of the budget later this month.

The exact financial commitment is unclear because it's tied up in other infrastructure elements, but the idea is to do all the work so Manuka's plans become a "ready to build" project for federal government investment.

Building facilities on the eastern side of the ground is considered the last part of a three-phase plan to increase capacity, improve spectator amenities and attract more content to the historic venue, which will celebrate its centenary in 2029.

It's a massive boost for Boorer's hopes of winning a Big Bash licence, and having the backing of Chief Minister Andrew Barr will push Manuka's redevelopment and cricket's grand plans closer to reality.

"As Manuka Oval celebrates its centenary, significant improvements to access, safety and the spectator experience will ensure the oval continues to be one of the best boutique venues for cricket and AFL in the country," Barr said.

"The ACT government is continuing to plan for the next progressive improvements to further improve Manuka Oval, ensuring that the ACT can continue to attract elite sporting content.

"Funding will be provided in the 2024-25 budget to continue technical due diligence and design for a new eastern grandstand at Manuka Oval. A new grandstand will improve the experience of attendees.

"This work will include consulting with Manuka's resident sporting codes and also residents in the surrounding areas."

The venue capacity for Australian football matches will increase from about 14,000 to 20,000, and cricket will jump from about 11,000 to 18,000 when the construction is complete.

The eastern upgrade was the final step, and was expected to cost at least $24 million.

The challenge for the government will be trying to keep some of the old-school charm that makes Manuka Oval so great. Sitting on the hill to watch cricket or the GWS Giants - particularly in the warmer months of the AFL season - is a treat for sporting fans.

Barr has already flagged his intention to seek a 50-50 funding partnership with the federal government. The eastern stand was mentioned in both the ACT government and Cricket ACT's submission to a federal government inquiry into better promoting the capital last year.

"Developments could include the redevelopment of the eastern grandstand to enable more fans to watch cricket (and AFL), upgraded spectator amenities, greater parking provisions, enhanced training and preparation facilities and the transition to a more eco-friendly, environmentally sustainable venue."

Or give Norwood the 20th license in a Bradbury-esque moment, which would be something to behold.

Screaming Homer Simpson GIF
Norwood In the AFL would actually work.

I mean if Port Adelaide wanna bring up their 1870 stuff. I have no issues in Norwood talking about their existence since 1878.

I can live with that.

Again... There is 450,000 people live in the ACT. There is already a ground in Manuka oval to play footy there too. Just need the money to turn that into a 20-25,000 seat arena
They'd have to find money to upgrade Henson Park to a AFL broadcast standard to play there during the show, but the Giants solidifying both the inner west as well as the Greater West might actually be beneficial to their existence as a team. They haven't gotten bad crowds there for the AFLW by AFLW standard and there's no reason to think they wouldn't push 15,000 at Henson.

I can live with that.

And if what Canberra pear says is right, there are another 100k within an hour. So that makes the population catchment 550k, compared to Tasmania 570k, but the 550k is within a closer and easier traveling distance to Canberra, than the Tasmanians are to Hobart. it makes it an attractive proposition.

I think Dillon proactively raising Canberra twice now is a good thing, you'd think that indicates some work going on in the background.

And if what Canberra pear says is right, there are another 100k within an hour. So that makes the population catchment 550k, compared to Tasmania 570k, but the 550k is within a closer and easier traveling distance to Canberra, than the Tasmanians are to Hobart. it makes it an attractive proposition.

I think Dillon proactively raising Canberra twice now is a good thing, you'd think that indicates some work going on in the background.

The December stats had the ACT sitting at 470k, and growing at five times the rate of Tasmania, so we should already be around 570k within an hour now. So that hour radius should overtake Tasmania very soon if it hasn't already.

We'd be sitting on about 600k within 70 mins (Goulburn is about 65 mins away).

In Victoria SA and WA not major city /town population wise outside of capital cities barring Geelong. NSW has Wollongong Newcastle Central Coast Queensland has Gold Coast Sunshine Coast.

In Victoria SA and WA not major city /town population wise outside of capital cities barring Geelong. NSW has Wollongong Newcastle Central Coast Queensland has Gold Coast Sunshine Coast.
Yeah, and none of those are on the AFL radar for team 20.

The rhetoric and the polling clearly is about NT, ACT, WA3, SA3, NQ, no one else is in consideration. The bolded have never hosted an AFL game and that should be a mandatory requirement to start with, and for at least five years.

As Walshawk told me with a bit of a reality check, Wollongong and Central Coast don't even have full time NRL teams, so you can put a line through them having an AFL team. They'd have an NRL presence first before they ever had an AFL one.

Sunshine Coast don't have a full time NRL team either, they get what, two games a year with the Dolphins.

That said, **** all NRL presence in WA, SA, or Cairns (though the following is better there than it is for AFL). No team in Darwin either.

I still think the AFL's got this thing about competing with the NRL though and trying to muscle in before the NRL sets a foothold. If the AFL look to NQ after Tassie it'll only be because they don't want Cairns to gain a stronghold with the joint PNG venture.

They were 40 years too late with Canberra, should've gone there when the NRL went there, it wasn't rugby territory like Townsville and Newcastle. But, better late than never, it's good that Dillon's acknowledged Canberra twice now.

Interesting someone on the Essendon forum made a tongue in cheek comment Bali would be better than Darwin.

I laughed initially, but then i thought about it, over 4 million population, a big Aussie culture, a short flight by international standards and a gateway to 300 million Indonesians and actually think it would be better than Darwin. It could be like the nrl going to png, dunno if albo will offer $600 million in taxpayer dollars to the afl though, but if he did, what are people's thoughts on that? Like after Australia has been exhausted.

Interesting someone on the Essendon forum made a tongue in cheek comment Bali would be better than Darwin.

I laughed initially, but then i thought about it, over 4 million population, a big Aussie culture, a short flight by international standards and a gateway to 300 million Indonesians and actually think it would be better than Darwin. It could be like the nrl going to png, dunno if albo will offer $600 million in taxpayer dollars to the afl though, but if he did, what are people's thoughts on that? Like after Australia has been exhausted.
If Albo flings over a cheeky 600 mill to the AFL, there’s not a chance in hell it’ll be to a Bali team. It’d only be towards a NT/Northern Australia team.

It’s clear from the polling and Dillon’s comments that the only contenders for team 20 are ACT, NT/NQ, WA3 and SA3. No one else stands a chance.

Obviously not any time soon, but I could one day see a team in Jakarta in a similar vein. Or at the very least regular games.

Like people speak of India and cricket ovals, Jakarta has a few stadiums with running tracks that could easily fit a field.

Greater Jakarta alone has 30 million people. If you only need 1% of Western Sydney for the Giants to be viable, you would only need less than 0.1% of Jakarta to be viable.

Waaaaay down the track, but promoting Australia's culture to the world's fourth most populous country right on our doorstep might be one the government would support like the NRL in PNG.

If Albo flings over a cheeky 600 mill to the AFL, there’s not a chance in hell it’ll be to a Bali team. It’d only be towards a NT/Northern Australia team.

It’s clear from the polling and Dillon’s comments that the only contenders for team 20 are ACT, NT/NQ, WA3 and SA3. No one else stands a chance.

Yeah I know that, was just throwing the idea up for discussion.

Obviously not any time soon, but I could one day see a team in Jakarta in a similar vein. Or at the very least regular games.

Like people speak of India and cricket ovals, Jakarta has a few stadiums with running tracks that could easily fit a field.

Greater Jakarta alone has 30 million people. If you only need 1% of Western Sydney for the Giants to be viable, you would only need less than 0.1% of Jakarta to be viable.

Waaaaay down the track, but promoting Australia's culture to the world's fourth most populous country right on our doorstep might be one the government would support like the NRL in PNG.

I've been to Jakarta actually, I think it would be more of a chance than a China or Japan, but yeah you'd have to engage the Indonesian community here first to test the waters. Which there are actually a lot of these days and in my experience they're more into sports than Chinese and Japanese.

Yeah I know that, was just throwing the idea up for discussion.

I've been to Jakarta actually, I think it would be more of a chance than a China or Japan, but yeah you'd have to engage the Indonesian community here first to test the waters. Which there are actually a lot of these days and in my experience they're more into sports than Chinese and Japanese.
Yeah it’s interesting. I’m all for testing the waters for future growth. You’d think Collingwood would jump at the opportunity to host a couple of games in Bali. 😁

I’d base in Campbelltown , giants can focus on north west syd, they should really be based in Blacktown or rouse hill etc, then you have proper coverage of Sydney. No nrl teams really based in these growth areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, and none of those are on the AFL radar for team 20.

The rhetoric and the polling clearly is about NT, ACT, WA3, SA3, NQ, no one else is in consideration. The bolded have never hosted an AFL game and that should be a mandatory requirement to start with, and for at least five years.

As Walshawk told me with a bit of a reality check, Wollongong and Central Coast don't even have full time NRL teams, so you can put a line through them having an AFL team. They'd have an NRL presence first before they ever had an AFL one.

Sunshine Coast don't have a full time NRL team either, they get what, two games a year with the Dolphins.

That said, **** all NRL presence in WA, SA, or Cairns (though the following is better there than it is for AFL). No team in Darwin either.

I still think the AFL's got this thing about competing with the NRL though and trying to muscle in before the NRL sets a foothold. If the AFL look to NQ after Tassie it'll only be because they don't want Cairns to gain a stronghold with the joint PNG venture.

They were 40 years too late with Canberra, should've gone there when the NRL went there, it wasn't rugby territory like Townsville and Newcastle. But, better late than never, it's good that Dillon's acknowledged Canberra twice now.
NRL is apparently putting a Perth teams while the Dragons are a joint venture club and play half its games in Wollongong.

Agree. In fact I would argue SA3 and NQ are just there to give further options for the survey, and are not really in contention to be Team 20. If WA3 can’t get it, SA3 will not. If NT can’t get it, then I can’t see how a standalone NQ will.

NZ is best option gives you another timezone for TV, Westpac Stadium is up to standard. Has biggest untapped market.

NZ is best option gives you another timezone for TV, Westpac Stadium is up to standard. Has biggest untapped market.
They're not under consideration.

Now if the AFL were to ever expand beyond 20 times, and say, the Saints end up playing 1-2 games a year in Auckland, the AFL puts work into growing the game there, they'd be a chance of being team 21.

But I don't think they'd dare try unless they can have some success with GWS and GC and show that traditionally rugby areas can be converted over time.

Eden Park is alright isn't it?
No it’s not alright. The dimensions are way too short and they don’t even meet ICC regulations for minimum boundary lengths; this fact is only overlooked for international cricket due to a technicality. If it was possible to play games there then the AFL would have pursued it already.

As a city, Wellington is not big enough to justify the effort and investment. If Auckland ever builds a decent oval stadium then I suspect the AFL will look to play games in NZ again because it has nearly 4x the population of Wellington.

Last edited:
No it’s not alright. The dimensions are way too short and they don’t even meet ICC regulations for minimum boundary lengths; this fact is only overlooked for international cricket due to a technicality. If it was possible to play games there then the AFL would have pursued it already.

Yeah, I just can’t see a NZ team happening.

Maybe one day Auckland will have a suitable venue, but I’m not sure it’s a priority of the NZ government.

Even then, they will need St Kilda to play 1-2 games per year there in different time slots to test crowds and ratings.

It would be madness to introduce a NZ team without introducing them as a secondary market first.

As a city, Wellington is not big enough to justify the effort and investment. If Auckland ever builds a decent oval stadium then I suspect the AFL will look to play games in NZ again because it has nearly 4x the population of Wellington.

St kilda games were a slogfest to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

20th AFL Team

Back