20th AFL Team

Which location will be the home of the 20th AFL team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still can't believe people are putting a third SA team above Canberra for Team 20.
I'm still waiting for my South Adelaide Panthers to join the big dance of the AFL, let me call up my friend Tigerlaird to tell you all about why the Mighty Panthers should be a part of the competition ;)

Besides my obvious bias showing, Canberra outweighs the long-term benefits of another SA team joining the competition by far and hopefully once that deal is finished between GWS, the ACT government decides to use that money appropriately on a new club cause it would do wonders over there for the community.

GWS playing games in Canberra is a big obsticle to Canberra getting it's own team, and yes i knoe the deal is meant to end in 2034 i think I have a feeling it will be renewed again and if it is they will kill any hopes of Canberra getting their own team.
Funnily enough, the AFL have been adament that there won't be a 20th team straight after Tasmania's first season so maybe they are prepared to wait until that deal is completed before Canberra plays their first match, which could mean a 6-7 year gap between going from 19 to 20 teams.

Agree though that if both parties on renewing the existing deal past 2034, it would kill any chance of Canberra and the ACT region having their own team, which would be a massive shame.

Funnily enough, the AFL have been adament that there won't be a 20th team straight after Tasmania's first season so maybe they are prepared to wait until that deal is completed before Canberra plays their first match, which could mean a 6-7 year gap between going from 19 to 20 teams.

Agree though that if both parties on renewing the existing deal past 2034, it would kill any chance of Canberra and the ACT region having their own team, which would be a massive shame.
My bet is Canberra comes in by 2033 and GWS see out their contract until 2032.

The AFL will likely have a look at the new stadium, returns, crowds, ratings, etc, before deciding on if and where to add a 20th team. I reckon a decision in 2030 and a team around 2035. If Canberra get a BBL team and upgraded Manuka, the AFL will look at that as well. A new Canberra team would assume any contract with the Giants. That is not an issue.

My bet is Canberra comes in by 2033 and GWS see out their contract until 2032.
The AFL will likely have a look at the new stadium, returns, crowds, ratings, etc, before deciding on if and where to add a 20th team. I reckon a decision in 2030 and a team around 2035. If Canberra get a BBL team and upgraded Manuka, the AFL will look at that as well. A new Canberra team would assume any contract with the Giants. That is not an issue.
The other benefit that would have to see out the GWS-ACT deal before Canberra gets their own license in 2033 would be the club can spend a couple of years in the lower leagues first (U18s / VFL) while getting the club's resources ready before joining the AFL such as the model below:

2030 - Unders 16 / 18s

2031 - Under 16 / 18s & VFL

2032 - Under 16 / 18s & VFL

2033 - Under 16 / 18s, VFL & AFL

Question, lets say Norwood or a 3rd WA side are the 20th team.. how many on average would go to a home?
How many would go to see Canberra play at a home game?

Excluding derbies, I'd say just under 20k for Canberra (capacity allowing) and Norwood, and a bit over 20k for WA3.

Difference is 20k at Manuka would be a great atmosphere and money maker, while it'd be pretty empty at Adelaide Oval or Optus.

Excluding derbies, I'd say just under 20k for Canberra (capacity allowing) and Norwood, and a bit over 20k for WA3.

Difference is 20k at Manuka would be a great atmosphere and money maker, while it'd be pretty empty at Adelaide Oval or Optus.
Norwood could play at a developed Parade? get the capacity up to 30k

Still can't believe people are putting a third SA team above Canberra for Team 20.

Yes, Canberra is a "new" market.
The potential development is quite predictable.
If some entity were to get behind a Canberra push then it would be a lay-down-misere.

P.S. I don't see a problem with the GWS contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

20th AFL Team

Back