#21 - Braydon Preuss - Dropping bombs from outside 50 cause that's what ruckmen do

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly.

Never overpay your reserves.
Yep, it should be obvious, I don’t think anyone is denying the need for a plan b and if thats Pruess so be it, not my cup of tea.

ive said a few times now wasting 200k a year on Pruess is not the end of the world in isolation, but it’s a ******* good example of the continued poor decision making at this club that sees us perpetually stuck to the bottom.

" you could argue locking preuss in at $400k year could save us money, imagine no COVID and the salary cap increases in 2 years time, you have no back up and the market demands you cough up more dollars. "

That is absurd - that would only work if the salary cap jumped 50%.

How do you forsee that happening? It is doubtful that it will come via a new TV deal as rumours are that Foxtel and FTA networks are cooling on live sports which will supress the value of the next deal.

I am dumbfounded that you refuse to concede that paying reserves well in excess of the average AFL salary is bad list management.

There are so many proven AFL level players that do not get the security of a long-term deal, let alone the lucrative salary that Preuss is getting.

If the salary cap increase another million in 2 years that’s a lot more to target players as opposed to spreading it amongst the rest of the players. Like what Sydney were accused of doing with COLA and tippet/franklin.

So on the basis of no COVID and salary cap increases in two years time, when Ryder finishes his contract the saints may need to find another back up. What $400k buys you today won’t be the same value as what $400k buys you in 2022.

you do realise the AFL average pay is around $350k. there is every chance pre COVID by the end of pruess’ deal he would almost be right on or under the AFL average

compared to the average joe $400k is a massive salary, but in AFL terms $400k is not a massive salary even for a reserves player.

also need to realise players between 5’10-6’2 are a dime a dozen, you can’t afford to carry lots of big men on your list. Supply and demand.

Saj - In what scenario would the salary cap increase by $1 million in 2 years?

You are grasping at straws. The Preuss, Lever and May contracts are horrendous and have hamstrung the club.

Our 4 highest paid players are currently Gawn, Lever, May and Jones. Only one of them is a proven match winner in 2020.

You are grasping at straws. The Preuss, Lever and May contracts are horrendous and have hamstrung the club.

Our 4 highest paid players are currently Gawn, Lever, May and Jones. Only one of them is a proven match winner in 2020.

the salary was due to increase by 2 million from 2017 to 2022.

it was prefaced by if COVID didn’t exist.

imagine COVID was around which it didn’t when the pruess deal wasn’t made

$400k in 2022 with an increase salary cap is more value the $400k in 2018.

Make sense? It was hypothetical Scenario

So your hypothetical scenario centers around a salary cap increase that kicks-in after Preuss' contract expires?

You're taking the piss!

do you actually understand what I’m saying?

You failed to Understand the Pre COVID scheduled increase in salary cap. And also the average wage of an AFL footballer. Pruess is getting paid around 10%-15% more than the average which is hardly In excess

I understand what you are saying but your example is stupid. You are implying that in a perfect scenario that Preuss' contract would become valuable if there was a salary cap increase. But in your example the salary cap increases kicks in once Preuss contract expires; so how does that help MFC???

Preuss is being paid about double what most players earn. You need to understand that most AFL listed players earn around $200-250k or less.

The "average $300-350k salary" quoted by the media is the mean (salary cap divided by number of listed players). This figure is boosted by the leagues top earners (Buddy, Fyfe, Dusty, Bont etc.)

I understand what you are saying but your example is stupid. You are implying that in a perfect scenario that Preuss' contract would become valuable if there was a salary cap increase. But in your example the salary cap increases kicks in once Preuss contract expires; so how does that help MFC???

Preuss is being paid about double what most players earn. You need to understand that most AFL listed players earn around $200-250k or less.

The "average $300-350k salary" quoted by the media is the mean (salary cap divided by number of listed players). This figure is boosted by the leagues top earners (Buddy, Fyfe, Dusty, Bont etc.)

The salary cap increases year on Year

It looks as though half the league fall within $100k-$400k.

my main argument is paying slightly more for a back up ruck over a cheaper option over a $12million salary cap is negligible

There is no way Jones is getting good money. He re-signed at the end of last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trading Sam Frost to Hawthorn for a 2nd rounder almost makes up for all the dumb s**t that’s taken place the last few years, credit where credit is due

Trading Sam Frost to Hawthorn for a 2nd rounder almost makes up for all the dumb sh*t that’s taken place the last few years, credit where credit is due

I misread this at first, but definitely agree it was a good move.

Melting over Preuss lol

FMD we're lucky if the only thing we're melting over is Preuss on an innocuous deal.

The team has won two in a row, gotta get creative and melt about something.

Paddy Rider is on 300K? I know I've skipped a bit of footy but did he lose a limb or two?
Ryder is pretty much cooked.

I agree with those saying you shouldnt get sucked into paying overs for back ups, but do not underestimate the reliance on us having a dominant ruckman. $400k as an insurance policy is fine by me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back