Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 23. David Myers

Agreed.

2 clangers he was boxed in in the pocket and had nothing to go to.

The other one on the 50m arc was a poor decision.

It's part due to him being very confident with his ability, which is a good thing, just needs to iron out some poor choices, he can put it on a dime sometimes.

Has done enough for me to get back on the bandwagon.
He is not alone in the kicking error box and despite being around long enough to be in a position where he has to deliver he has still only played 22 games so you are going to expect some mistakes .

Has done enough for me to get back on the bandwagon.
He is not alone in the kicking error box and despite being around long enough to be in a position where he has to deliver he has still only played 22 games so you are going to expect some mistakes .

Your right again Ant, if he can get some consistency into some games played I think he could be our most improved player. Like most of you i cringe when he gets the ball but you have to admire his ability to crash through tackles. If his kicking can improve just a little he could be huge, will generate some thrust out of backline.

Those 22 games have come in spits and spurts lets judge him after he has played 16-20 games in a season.

Well, most will say it's because Myers has come a long way this preseason under a new coach, which is probably true. Under Knights our defense got hammered most weeks and now with a new game-plan they're given a lot more support which makes the job easier for Myers and all of our defenders.

I'd still like to see him play as a mid but I think that ship has passed.

I'd still like to see him play as a mid but I think that ship has passed.

I don't think it has.

This is a year to settle him in to the side. Playing down back will give him plenty of game time and a clearly defined role - it's a good place to start.

If he's good enough there I think he's every chance to get opportunities in the midfield in 2012/13.

There are plenty of guys that have started in positions where they haven't ended up.

Well, most will say it's because Myers has come a long way this preseason under a new coach, which is probably true. Under Knights our defense got hammered most weeks and now with a new game-plan they're given a lot more support which makes the job easier for Myers and all of our defenders.

I'd still like to see him play as a mid
Agree with all of this, however as GoDons said I think he still may end up there.

He won't be playing key defence when (fingers crossed) all of Pears, Hooker and Fletcher are fit, not to mention Carlisle/Gumby up forward potentially sending Hurley back.

I was actually thinking the other day that he might end up like Michael Firrito (spelling?) from the Roos. He's done quite well playing both as a key defender, third/fourth tall, and as a midfielder.

He'll either be an undersized key defender (not that it matters too much, see: Pears, Glass, Hudgeton etc.), or a brute of a midfielder.

Myers cannot be in our team,

simple as that. Players like Hibberd, Hardingham, Heppell, Slattery, & Dempsey are miles ahead of him

Can't play him in the midfield alongside Watson, Stanton and Hocking, becomes too slow.

That leaves no position for him.

Too many turnovers, panics under pressure, Dyson Heppell, who has played 3 games at AFL level has more composure and poise than Myers

simple as that. Players like Hibberd, Hardingham, Heppell, Slattery, & Dempsey are miles ahead of him

Can't play him in the midfield alongside Watson, Stanton and Hocking, becomes too slow.

Too many turnovers, panics under pressure, Dyson Heppell, who has played 3 games at AFL level has more composure and poise than Myers

when you're spruiking players who haven't even played a game as having gone past an established player, you know you're strugging :rolleyes:

Every post you make transcends the last in pure shitness

Knights copped a lot of flak for playing him down back last year. Well, he's playing the same position under Hird but people seem to ignore it. Unfair criticism of Knights or has Myers come a long way this preseason?

I'd say the latter is applicable. Knights slaughtered his confidence. Hird and co. have given him belief in himself. 3 years too late. Would have been up and firing long before now had the previous regime backed him to the same extent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the latter is applicable. Knights slaughtered his confidence. Hird and co. have given him belief in himself. 3 years too late. Would have been up and firing long before now had the previous regime backed him to the same extent.

I actually don't agree. I don't think that's fair. It's fairly obvious this is the first time Myers has been pretty much completely unencumbered by injury

Yep they should've played him with a broken hammie.
That would've done him the world of good.

I think Knights managed him (& Jetta) extremely well last year.
Not every player is ready to go year 1. Even year 2 or 3.
Bedding in with a solid run of games at Bendigo, in the midfield, did both the world of good.

Dyson Heppell, who has played 3 games at AFL level has more composure and poise than Myers

Point me towards Heppell's 3 AFL games...go on. I'd love to see it!

I don't think it has.

This is a year to settle him in to the side. Playing down back will give him plenty of game time and a clearly defined role - it's a good place to start.

If he's good enough there I think he's every chance to get opportunities in the midfield in 2012/13.

There are plenty of guys that have started in positions where they haven't ended up.

Yup, this is pretty much how i read it.....Yes he has made the occasional clanger this pre season, but we can't forget it is only feb/march footy and this is a guy who's played 22 games.

I too would hope at some stage he gets a run in the middle, and if all goes to plan i think we've got quit a bit to look forward to when he gets to 50-70 games.

I can understand why you don't want Myers to play Ricky I seem to remember a post from you earlier in the pre-season about there being a lot of daylight and your little sister playing before him so it's just brotherly concern.
What number will she be wearing ???

The BF mantra, if you're 21 or under and under-performing, you still have potential.

Mate, you could be 24-25, and still not hit your prime, you not see David Mundy last year, there's no patience whatsoever on this ever increasing hard to put up with site.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back