Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread IIII

lol wut??? :D

By his 4th year Watson was one of our better players and was being labelled by same as our next skipper.

Myers hasn't shown anywhere near as much as Watson at the same stage.

Was just an inference to his slow start. I can't exactly remember when it fully clicked. I just know that he went from being a rubbish footballer to a star pretty quickly.

I did say his first 3 or 4 years. His first 3 years were embarrassing. My bad if it was his 4th year where it clicked.

Way to miss the point though.

I beg to differ. In 2006, he showed next to nothing. It was 2007 where he really stamped himself. Myers has shown more

Next to nothing? :D Myers has shown more? It's comedy hour is it?

He was already smashing it and was one of our only decent onfield leaders at the time.

It's just another one of those really silly bigfooty myths that Watson was no good until the last few years.

Next to nothing? :D Myers has shown more? It's comedy hour is it?

He was already smashing it and was one of our only decent onfield leaders at the time.

It's just another one of those really silly bigfooty myths that Watson was no good until the last few years.

That's not my perception. Just that he had a really horrible start to his career to the point where he probably had 1 more year before he would have found himself off a list. That's well documented and acknowledged by the player himself.

When it clicked, it clicked and he's been a star ever since. Our best player by a country mile.

In 2006 He was our best midfielder, was well and truely entrenched in the best 22, was already giving the team speaches at the breaks, and was mooted as a future skipper.

His disposal was the only real weakness but even then it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

I get the point you are making but I am just pointing out that at the same stages of their careers Myers is no way near Watson.

I don't even think you could categorically say that Myers is definite best 22 at this point in time.

I hate to revert to stats... But here you go.

Myers First 4 years:

36 games averaging 16.1 disposals with breakout 4th year averaging 19 disposals over 14 games in between injuries.

Watson first 4 years

34 games averaging 18.2 disposals with big breakout year in 2006 where he averaged 22.8 disposals as an onballer. From here his star kept rising to the point now where he's one of the best players in the comp in my opinion.

Given the rest of the draft, i'm pretty comfortable with him and reckon he could develop into a bloody good footballer with the right approach.

In 2006 He was our best midfielder, was well and truely entrenched in the best 22, was already giving the team speaches at the breaks, and was mooted as a future skipper.

His disposal was the only real weakness but even then it wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

I get the point you are making but I am just pointing out that at the same stages of their careers Myers is no way near Watson.

I don't even think you could categorically say that Myers is definite best 22 at this point in time.

I think you could categorically say that he is in our best 22. Hirdy played him round one and then had him back in the side as soon as he was fit.

Easily in our best 22.

As I said, Watson was already one of our best players in 2006 (4th year).

Myers is borderline best 22 (4th year).

Not even close.

Myers was very good this year, and no doubt he gave a couple of speaches too....

Myers was arguably had a better first 3 years than Watsons. Watson then had a clean, injury free 4th year where things clicked. Give or take a year of development, there's not much difference in terms of what they've produced at the same point.

Watsons 4th year clearly better but again, my original point was around Myers maybe requirement a different approach to his body and tailoring his body more to what's going to make him the best league footy player he can be.

I'm also not suggesting he will end up as good as Watson. Just that he shouldn't be written off because he hasn't dominated yet...

As I said, Watson was already one of our best players in 2006 (4th year).

Myers is borderline best 22 (4th year).

Not even close.

How is he borderline when he is selected in the best 22 every week he is fit. Hooker was dropped for the elimination final. If your statement was true it would have been Myers who was dropped.

I think you could categorically say that he is in our best 22. Hirdy played him round one and then had him back in the side as soon as he was fit.

Easily in our best 22.

Easily best 22?

Hooker, Pears, Hurley, Carlisle, Gumby all fit.

Would be bordeline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myers was very good this year, and no doubt he gave a couple of speaches too....

Myers was arguably had a better first 3 years than Watsons. Watson then had a clean, injury free 4th year where things clicked. Give or take a year of development, there's not much difference in terms of what they've produced at the same point.

Watsons 4th year clearly better but again, my original point was around Myers maybe requirement a different approach to his body and tailoring his body more to what's going to make him the best league footy player he can be.

I'm also not suggesting he will end up as good as Watson. Just that he shouldn't be written off because he hasn't dominated yet... See the Jobe Watson story

How is he borderline when he is selected in the best 22 every week he is fit. Hooker was dropped for the elimination final. If you statement was true it would have been Myers who was dropped.

Because others are not fit.

I'm also not suggesting he will end up as good as Watson. Just that he shouldn't be written off because he hasn't dominated yet... See the Jobe Watson story

Yeah but the first time Watson was fit he produced football which is far superior than anything Myers has produced.

I agree that Myers is probably caught between positions, like Jobe was.

I remember seeing Jobe playing CHF for Bendigo, and doing pretty well. Who would've thought..

Whoever said Myers is now 194cm might not be wrong. Seeing photos of him recently, he was absolutely dwarfing the guys around him. He was even noticably taller than Crameri, who's 191cm, IIRC.

Yeah but the first time Watson was fit he produced football which is far superior than anything Myers has produced.

Which was my original point about me not thinking he was best conditioned to get the best out of himself. He seems to be half way between a midfielder and a key defender. It wouldn't at all surprise me if he got himself midfield fit and started to establish himself as one of our better players.

Oh yeah, and Myers is evidently a lock in our best 22, or at least was in 2011.

He was picked every single time we had the chance to.

Full squad in Round 1? Myers.
First week back after a hamstring injury with others to select instead? Myers.

You can't argue with fact.

Which was my original point about me not thinking he was best conditioned to get the best out of himself. He seems to be half way between a midfielder and a key defender. It wouldn't at all surprise me if he got himself midfield fit and started to establish himself as one of our better players.
And the full circle is complete!

I think your comparison between the two is apt. If Myers has a full pre season with the proper conditioning he will explode next year.

Re: David Myers - Starting 22?

Whomb, what is with the trolling, man?

Surely as a mod, you should refrain from getting personal?

I spose you're gonna say it wasn't directed to me right?

You should card yourself.

And the full circle is complete!

I think your comparison between the two is apt. If Myers has a full pre season with the proper conditioning he will explode next year.

Agreed. Once he gets his body right and he's a bit lighter on his feet he will be a real weapon. Check out his YouTube clip from his U/18 champs and see how well he moved when he wasn't as chunky in the legs.

Re: David Myers - Starting 22?

How is he borderline when he is selected in the best 22 every week he is fit. Hooker was dropped for the elimination final. If your statement was true it would have been Myers who was dropped.

Nice editing after I already responded to your post. :thumbsu:

Hooker was unfit/injured.

Funniest thing I have read all day. Gumby ahead of Myers.

Lay of the PCP SirJimi.

Funniest lack of comprehension of read all day.

I never said Gumby is ahead of Myers, mate.

Too much PCP?

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #23: David Myers - Retiring at the end of the season - 20/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back