AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

This wing experiment is certainly worth persisting with for a bit, the good far outweighed the bad for his first run there. Give him time to adjust and build his tank a little more and we could have one of the more awkward matchups for opponents to consider, especially if he and Cox rotate through the position during games.

If we can get it to work consistently, It's a point of difference we have over our rivals, it's definitely worth exploring.

I just think Caddy moves ahead of him fairly quickly in the f50 so he either pushes out 2mp (won't happen) or adapts to playing up the field. Looks like the perfect link up player. Maybe doesn't have the tank for the entire game but can rotate as suggested. I hope they persist with it his marking on the wings is great and has the agility to play there.

His tank is not the problem. Regularly racks up 15kms a game.

The other aspect of jones as a winger is his marking ability floating across packs as a fwd translates better for a wing floating across packs in defence. In the way duursma did on the weekend.
Jones struggles as a fwd sitting under the ball and competing but is lethal when has the ability to get a run and jump.

Scott wants to be able to shift the magnets. His ability to play wing just adds to the flexibility of our side. Cox duursma jones Martin could probably play up front down back and across the wings. Definitely an upgrade on Kelly Heppell being used in those positions.

Love what I have seen but it’s only one game

The other aspect of jones as a winger is his marking ability floating across packs as a fwd translates better for a wing floating across packs in defence. In the way duursma did on the weekend.
Jones struggles as a fwd sitting under the ball and competing but is lethal when has the ability to get a run and jump.

Scott wants to be able to shift the magnets. His ability to play wing just adds to the flexibility of our side. Cox duursma jones Martin could probably play up front down back and across the wings. Definitely an upgrade on Kelly Heppell being used in those positions.

Love what I have seen but it’s only one game
Scott also a mentioned caddy in the midfield in the presser. Something to watch for the future

We have been trying so long to get Cox up to playing wing, when it looks like it is far more Jones' go.

He has always had the tank, but flying for marks between the arcs and mitting them is something we have sorely needed. A bit of Mason Wood about him.

His tank is not the problem. Regularly racks up 15kms a game.

Yep, he's got high quality running power and the work rate to match, even if wing at AFL level exposed him to a new level of hurt. I suspect this might have happened because he struggled to stay involved as the match wore on.

I think this is purely an example of looking at a realistic way of trying to squeeze as much of the available talent into a side as possible. The under-age watchers will tell you better than I can that Jones has always been a very hard working half forward with a big game between the arcs. If he was 188cm with the same heat maps the transition to wing would not raise an eyebrow.

He's a really unique player in many ways, something of a melding of parts of Mayne, Gunston and the red-headed Tom Lynch with a bit more of a power game as he's that bit taller and has a nice leap.

The coaches may well think Caddy is a better prospect as a forward but I think this is as much about the appeal of the marking power of Jones and Cox on both wings, at least as an option. The number of established and budding key forwards that you could realistically have a look at on a wing is small, it's nothing like the switch to defence (where average forwards go to become good players). N Riewoldt and Richo did it. Gunston probably could have done it in his prime (though he's maybe not a key forward). Cameron could probably do it, too. It's not a long list.

Yep, he's got high quality running power and the work rate to match, even if wing at AFL level exposed him to a new level of hurt. I suspect this might have happened because he struggled to stay involved as the match wore on.

I think this is purely an example of looking at a realistic way of trying to squeeze as much of the available talent into a side as possible. The under-age watchers will tell you better than I can that Jones has always been a very hard working half forward with a big game between the arcs. If he was 188cm with the same heat maps the transition to wing would not raise an eyebrow.

He's a really unique player in many ways, something of a melding of parts of Mayne, Gunston and the red-headed Tom Lynch with a bit more of a power game as he's that bit taller and has a nice leap.

The coaches may well think Caddy is a better prospect as a forward but I think this is as much about the appeal of the marking power of Jones and Cox on both wings, at least as an option. The number of established and budding key forwards that you could realistically have a look at on a wing is small, it's nothing like the switch to defence (where average forwards go to become good players). N Riewoldt and Richo did it. Gunston probably could have done it in his prime (though he's maybe not a key forward). Cameron could probably do it, too. It's not a long list.
Young Buddy playing wing would have been a sight to behold.

I suspect Duursma has one wing locked down, and whilst i still would move Martin to the other in a heartbeat, the idea of Jones on one wing playing as a contested marking outlet outnof defence and Duursma working tirelessly to outnumber both sides of the ground has merit to it, at least in the short term.

The other hidden benefit of Jones playing wing like he did on the weekend is you are saving petrol tickets for your ruckman. Draper is able to play as the only pure ruck because he doesnt have to bust his arse to present down the line everytime we exit D50, as Jones is chopping him out.

Not having a dig at you ant but you also thought that he wouldn't have the tank to play on a wing when I suggested this a few weeks ago, what are your thoughts after having seen him play a full game there ?
Well it is self explanatory really. I think it is worth exploring further.
He hasn’t got Duursma endurance but the marking option made up for the few shortfalls.

Looks so good taking a grab between the arcs, he has endurance and we know he is competitive when the ball is on the ground. Wing is about a lot more than that though, so there’s still a lot to find out.

I do wonder how he will go matched up on an elite wing who will try to burn him with gut running and craft. He will also need to learn a lot of running patterns and stoppage strategy.

But fundamentally I reckon he is a talented player and a hard worker. Definitely worth a crack.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked his game on the weekend - but why did he keep kicking it backward after taking big grabs on the wing?

Go forward son.

Liked his game on the weekend - but why did he keep kicking it backward after taking big grabs on the wing?

Go forward son.

Exactly my point. If he can build a hit up game he'd be a good wingman. - Albeit not a typical run and carry/ break the lines, link up prototype one.

But Cox could be that player. He already has all those attributes.

I like having some of Cox, Jones, caddy?, duursma spending time on the wing. We have really lacked marking down the line and around the ground so definitely helps (durham also) having some marking options.

Think it also helps balance our forward line with Stringer, Langford, Wright as well.

Jones is never going to be a dominant high possession or high goal kicking forward but if he can build some versatility then he can have a james Stewart, Mitch Brown type 10-12 year career.

on a side note, overall Scott is coaching really well and making good adjustments.

I like having some of Cox, Jones, caddy?, duursma spending time on the wing. We have really lacked marking down the line and around the ground so definitely helps (durham also) having some marking options.

Think it also helps balance our forward line with Stringer, Langford, Wright as well.

Jones is never going to be a dominant high possession or high goal kicking forward but if he can build some versatility then he can have a james Stewart, Mitch Brown type 10-12 year career.

on a side note, overall Scott is coaching really well and making good adjustments.
I actually reckon he will turn out to be a fairly high possession (tho maybe not a high goal kicking) forward.

He's destined to be a Nick Riewoldt type who gets up the ground and burns guys off with his running and marks the footy on the lead a lot. I would like to see his stats underpinned by a bunch of uncontested marks. He will be good for a few pack grabs a game too, and can also win his own footy when it's on the ground. Remains to be seen if he can hook into the link up handball game.

Some wing time is excellent for his development. And yes, agree, hard to fault Scott on much.

It's never been quite so straight forward. His pace and kicking don't scream wingman.

Takes a good grab down the line, wins ground ball, and tackles. But that's about it atm.

Jones was the fastest recorded runner on the team a few weeks ago.

I think he has a lot of Will Hoskin Elliot about his game. It’s just jones extra size doesn’t make that comparison seem so straight forward. Also teams don’t typically look to make comps with an average player. You also expect Key position or Ruck due to the length

Edit: in terms of Cox I’ve actually been more impressed with him as a forward than a wing. Might be a pretty good FF when his body fills out

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back