AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Something to keep exploring. I was vocal as far as it not something that would work but the extra marking did work. Obviously still a learning curve on the defensive side and where to run at times but overall positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something to keep exploring. I was vocal as far as it not something that would work but the extra marking did work. Obviously still a learning curve on the defensive side and where to run at times but overall positive.
Not having a dig at you ant but you also thought that he wouldn't have the tank to play on a wing when I suggested this a few weeks ago, what are your thoughts after having seen him play a full game there ?

Not having a dig at you ant but you also thought that he wouldn't have the tank to play on a wing when I suggested this a few weeks ago, what are your thoughts after having seen him play a full game there ?
full game. Rotated through would have said. But. Jones looks better on the wing. Essendon looks better with Jones on the wing.

One game is still too much of a small sample size to determine a position, or to even keep a player in a side. Fact is he'd been in a slump for a while (6 goals in 6 games disregarding today's match). Needs to be more consistent overall and impact more. Perhaps reports of him already "hitting KPI's to earn a contract extension" dampened his drive a bit.

Really like this. Gets him into the game much more. Was suggested before the Suns and laughed at 😜

Kudos to you both. If I didn’t bag you for it I was thinking it. Now I’m taking my mates I called it out weeks ago… :)

Ok, early days but worth building it into Jones’ repertoire. Even if only as a change up to get into a game.

Even better if it gets Caddy in the team.

Gives us an aerial target down the wing, and good at ground level. But doesn't do enough with disposal, and doesnt have the speed to be a genuine wingman.
Speed on a wing is probably the most overrated aspect of it.

This wing experiment is certainly worth persisting with for a bit, the good far outweighed the bad for his first run there. Give him time to adjust and build his tank a little more and we could have one of the more awkward matchups for opponents to consider, especially if he and Cox rotate through the position during games.

Kudos to you both. If I didn’t bag you for it I was thinking it. Now I’m taking my mates I called it out weeks ago… :)

Ok, early days but worth building it into Jones’ repertoire. Even if only as a change up to get into a game.

Even better if it gets Caddy in the team.
The main reason I was suggesting this was it was the only way I could see both Caddy & Jones playing in the same team and it was frustrating the F### out of me that Caddy couldn't break into the side.

I just think Caddy moves ahead of him fairly quickly in the f50 so he either pushes out 2mp (won't happen) or adapts to playing up the field. Looks like the perfect link up player. Maybe doesn't have the tank for the entire game but can rotate as suggested. I hope they persist with it his marking on the wings is great and has the agility to play there.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back