AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at Ugle-Hagan and Thilthorpe on the weekend. Both still young and inconsistent key forwards, but already showing signs that they can be match-winners. I haven't got that impression yet from Jones. Even as a mobile forward pushing up the ground you have an opportunity to stamp your authority on a game, and Jones isn't really having that impact just yet. 1 goal in 3 games against fairly ordinary opposition.

No one is doubting his talent but at some point you've gotta start putting it all together.
He ran Collins absolutely ragged, took him right out of the contest dude. I agree that he's not currently a game but give him time. He's actually a very smart player and can run for days. Once he gets some confidence back he will be fine he's got good goal kicking mechanics. Used to be an absolute deadeye in juniors.

Really really needs to work on the kicking action. Does not look confident or assured with it at all.

All for his athletic traits being in the team, and the match strength coming to hold the marks.
He's not a good set shot though
2021 says different

I think he’s a good striker of the ball but gets nervy in his approach and too often end up too close to the man on the mark.

Just needs to know and trust his distance so he keeps that space.

Going out on limb here and saying that his weight isn't a big problem. Bulking him up will be detrimental to his mobility and endurance, which is what his biggest strengths are.

His main issue of late is that he never initiates contact in marking contests. He was getting out bodied by Jimmy Webster multiple times on Saturday. Be it flying early using Harry as leverage or blocking him off his jumping line, Harry just didn't have an answer to their defensive tactics under the highball. He needs to get harder to defend as teams have figured out if you can take away his leap then he struggles to impact marking contests.

Harry just needs to get smarter and that comes with experience and continuity. There's a very solid AFL player in this guy.

Going out on limb here and saying that his weight isn't a big problem. Bulking him up will be detrimental to his mobility and endurance, which is what his biggest strengths are.

His main issue of late is that he never initiates contact in marking contests. He was getting out bodied by Jimmy Webster multiple times on Saturday. Be it flying early using Harry as leverage or blocking him off his jumping line, Harry just didn't have an answer to their defensive tactics under the highball. He needs to get harder to defend as teams have figured out if you can take away his leap then he struggles to impact marking contests.

Harry just needs to get smarter and that comes with experience and continuity. There's a very solid AFL player in this guy.
I agree. He will put on another 2 or 3 kg as we go along but his one wood is not standing in packs to take contested marks. If anything it is about building more core strength and keeping the athletic ability.

I dont really agree with this.

I think Jones is a perfect blueprint for a CHF Nick Riewoldt, Nick is the elite version of what Jones could be. An elite runner who gets up and down the ground but can still hold their own in a contest.

Harry is 6'5, Nick is 6'4 but Nick was running around 94kg's at his peak which is a good 5-6 kg heavier than Harry at 88kg. Dont underestimate what 6kg of muscle can do.

IMO his weight is a huge issue why he is simply uncompetitive in most fwd 50 contests, and it dont believe packing on 5-6kg will effect his running at all. he is way to easily moveable by defender body contact.

I mean look at Mark Bilcavs. He is 6'6 and he weighs 100kg, almost 12kg more than Jones. He is the best runner in the AFL.

He's only 22 and played less than 30 games I think criticism can start once hes 50+ games. Hopefully he can play the whole year this year and be bloody close to the 50.

Side note, he's got 4 contested marks for the year, if we compare that to daniher and hipwood who have 3 between them and 150 games more experience he's going alright.

Last edited:
He ran Collins absolutely ragged, took him right out of the contest dude. I agree that he's not currently a game but give him time. He's actually a very smart player and can run for days. Once he gets some confidence back he will be fine he's got good goal kicking mechanics. Used to be an absolute deadeye in juniors.
Collins who had his 7th most disposals ever? 3rd most marks ever? Lead them for intercept possessions?

That Collins was taken out of the game?

Hate to see what he'd have done if he'd been in the game. Tom Mitchell's record been in trouble.

Collins who had his 7th most disposals ever? 3rd most marks ever? Lead them for intercept possessions?

That Collins was taken out of the game?

Hate to see what he'd have done if he'd been in the game. Tom Mitchell's record been in trouble.

I meant Ballard not Collins, gee you fired in there Bonce rofl.

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by AHS

I meant Ballard not Collins, gee you fired in there Bonce rofl.
We needed to take Ballard outta the game?

And nah I reckon you had the player right. Collins was on Jones most of the night, he just gave him a bath.

We needed to take Ballard outta the game?

And nah I reckon you had the player right. Collins was on Jones most of the night, he just gave him a bath.

We didn't need him taking him out, but Ballard does a lot of the lead blocking. Even if your opponent is shit, keeping them in single digits is good.

I actually thought Collins was on somebody else. I remember saying in the gameday chat that Jones was running Ballard ragged (but in saying that, know me I probably said Collins rofl).

Can't dispute Collins' stats.

I think Jones is a perfect blueprint for a CHF Nick Riewoldt, Nick is the elite version of what Jones could be. An elite runner who gets up and down the ground but can still hold their own in a contest.

Harry is 6'5, Nick is 6'4 but Nick was running around 94kg's at his peak which is a good 5-6 kg heavier than Harry at 88kg. Dont underestimate what 6kg of muscle can do.

IMO his weight is a huge issue why he is simply uncompetitive in most fwd 50 contests, and it dont believe packing on 5-6kg will effect his running at all. he is way to easily moveable by defender body contact.

I mean look at Mark Bilcavs. He is 6'6 and he weighs 100kg, almost 12kg more than Jones. He is the best runner in the AFL.
Hard to compare anyone to Riewoldt & Blicavs. Blicavs was nearly olympic standard with his endurance & Daley Thompson apparently said he could get Riewoldt to Olympic standard if he wasn't a footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has the smarts and the athleticism. His skill execution is good.

He needs to put on more muscle. When he was drafted he'd have blown over in a slight breeze. Was 194 and 75kg back then, now listed as 196 and 88kg. Has had injury setbacks that generally don't make it easy to hit the weights if you want his feet to heal properly. 13kg in 3 years isn't bad progress in that context, but he does need another 8kg or so to get to a proper AFL playing weight. Will probably take 2 more years before he will put it all together.

I'm a little concerned that having to wear the crappy match-ups and poor supply over the last couple of weeks is smashing his confidence a bit. Didn't play in 2020 other than those shitty scratch matches. In 2021 he was a very very good kick, 20.6 from 16 games. In 2022 he kicked 13.5 from 10 games. This year is 1.2 from three games so far (including being subbed off twice). He'd get away with being skinny if he had Wright and Weid both in the team with him but the way it is atm I don't think playing him is doing him many favours.

From memory he was very inaccurate in his first few games in 2021 then came good after that.

His work rate is very good, subbing a forward off who relies on running his opponent ragged over four quarters was a strange decision IMO. The weight will continue to come, though I don't know that he'll necessarily get to 96kg.

He needs continuity at one level or another, playing alongside a limp Weideman this week did him no favours either.

Blicavs is also 30 years old, and is not the best runner in the AFL anymore since he's gained all that weight, he would be the best key position runner though FWIW.

As ant said, it's more about Jones building his strength and ability to hold his position that will make a big difference, Fletcher was never bulky but was very strong when it came to holding position.

Look at Ugle-Hagan and Thilthorpe on the weekend. Both still young and inconsistent key forwards, but already showing signs that they can be match-winners. I haven't got that impression yet from Jones. Even as a mobile forward pushing up the ground you have an opportunity to stamp your authority on a game, and Jones isn't really having that impact just yet. 1 goal in 3 games against fairly ordinary opposition.

No one is doubting his talent but at some point you've gotta start putting it all together.
Yeah Jones hasn't played a lot of footy in the last year and his preseason was disrupted as well. Continuity is important.

We didn't need him taking him out, but Ballard does a lot of the lead blocking. Even if your opponent is s**t, keeping them in single digits is good.

I actually thought Collins was on somebody else. I remember saying in the gameday chat that Jones was running Ballard ragged (but in saying that, know me I probably said Collins rofl).

Can't dispute Collins' stats.
Just seems to me like we're stretching for excuses for Harry.

Just seems to me like we're stretching for excuses for Harry.
I think the role was not about doing anything on any particular defender but more just keep leading up at the footy and try and keep bringing a defender with him to create space behind if needed. Just lead all day and make a contest. So I agree. Restricting a defender as such was not really happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back