AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It held up this year okay though didn't it?

I think there's a bit of an over-focus immediately looking at skinny guys and saying they need to "bulk up" and "hit the gym".

Eg: Cox. Cox looks like an absolute twig. But he deceptively sticks tackles quite well, and can get his arms free well in the tackle. His issue is a lack of intensity and will for the contest. Now you could make an argument that his intensity would come with greater confidence in his body, which might come with added size.

In regards to Jones, I'm not sure added size really helps him. His strength/ability is his aerobic capacity. Just adding size because it looks like he needs to fill out I think most likely takes away from his biggest strength.

**I know this went off on a slight tangent - just some general thoughts.
Too many stat obsessed millenials on here after a shiny new toy to let any development happen organically unfortunately

Too many stat obsessed millenials on here after a shiny new toy to let any development happen organically unfortunately
To be fair, some of those millennials got to experience some or all of 4 GF wins in their first 20 years on the planet, and 0 finals wins at all for the last 20; so they might be turning to stats obsession because they have nothing else football wise and have forgotten what successful development looks like....

To be fair, some of those millennials got to experience some or all of 4 GF wins in their first 20 years on the planet, and 0 finals wins at all for the last 20; so they might be turning to stats obsession because they have nothing else football wise and have forgotten what successful development looks like....
Hey that sounds like me

It held up this year okay though didn't it?

I think there's a bit of an over-focus immediately looking at skinny guys and saying they need to "bulk up" and "hit the gym".

Eg: Cox. Cox looks like an absolute twig. But he deceptively sticks tackles quite well, and can get his arms free well in the tackle. His issue is a lack of intensity and will for the contest. Now you could make an argument that his intensity would come with greater confidence in his body, which might come with added size.

In regards to Jones, I'm not sure added size really helps him. His strength/ability is his aerobic capacity. Just adding size because it looks like he needs to fill out I think most likely takes away from his biggest strength.

**I know this went off on a slight tangent - just some general thoughts.
Merrett would be the club's best tackler yet doesn't look like he even lifts.

Looking thicc doesn't really matter if the output is strong.

Same again really. He just won't fit in here.

He's not a bad player. Certainly has his deficiencies but I just don't see us being a functioning team with him in it. Let's not keep him on the list for 8 years to figure that out.

Could Harry play at centre half back?
At PEGS he played ruck.
Could he be second ruck ?
Those two positions are more likely than wing.
Maybe he isn’t quite good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back