Delisted #24: Alex Browne - Now at Northern Blues - Retired from footy - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

So? Alex has an extra 12 months on a list. Browne has done very little at AFL level, as has NOB, but what I look at in the VFL, NOB is better.

Kicked two crucial and equally classy goals against Adelaide that nearly won us the game a few years back. The kid certainly has something - hopefully he's able to complete his rehabilitation and work his way into contention for a senior recall by mid-late next year.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-24/browne-look-ahead-to-2015
Browne looks ahead to 2015
July 24, 2014 1:35 PM
20140724_borwne_p.png

Injured Essendon midfielder Alex Browne is continuing to progress well from a knee reconstruction he underwent in February.

Browne injured his knee in the club’s pre-season NAB Challenge game against Gold Coast.

The 21-year-old said he was fully focused on being prepared to tackle day one of pre-season training for the 2015 season.

“The positive about the knee is that I did it so early in the year so I know I am out for the whole year,” Browne said.

“I can focus on day one of pre-season next year, there is no real time frames, there is no rush with me now.”

“I don’t have to rush back for anything so it is just going to be about the way I feel and it is up to the doctors and physios.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-07-24/browne-look-ahead-to-2015

Reading some list prognosis and what we need going forward, I miss this guy more and more as the season goes on.

Might not have been IN the best 22, but he certainly would have been forcing his way into conversation this year.

Has all the attributes to become a league footballer. Big, quick, aggressive, nice skills and a willingness to take the game on.

Really hope he can recover well from his knee injury and play some senior football next year. One of my favourite players on our list when up and going

When was the reco? I'd sort of assumed he'd be running already.
Reco was in Feb? I think. So yes, he is a long way behind the 8ball if he has only just gone for his first run.
IIRC he did have a bit of a setback with an arthroscope a couple of months in, but even in taking this in to consideration, it is slow for him to not have run before now. The only positive you can take from all of this is the timing of his injury means he will still be able to participate in a full preseason and take part in praccy matches (whether with the VFL or AFL side) and be ready for round 1... He just may not be quite flying by then as he potentially could have been.

When was the reco? I'd sort of assumed he'd be running already.

Think there was an infection or something.

Given that he'll probably train through to the pre-season he'll be ready to go.

Still not really sure what to expect from the guy the glimpses have been so few and far between due to injury in the last 18 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ACL recovery is an inexact science.

I remember when Winderlich and Dempsey did theirs on the same day. Initially Winders was spoken of as being far ahead of Demps in his recovery, but ultimately Dempsey got back to match fitness far quicker than Winderlich did.

I remember when Winderlich and Dempsey did theirs on the same day. Initially Winders was spoken of as being far ahead of Demps in his recovery, but ultimately Dempsey got back to match fitness far quicker than Winderlich did.

I think the medical profession is too cautious with ACL's - I remember Tony Liberatore come back after 16 weeks - It was his second reco - Many soccer players/basketball players are back within 6 months.

Browne is a long way behind schedule if he's started running after 6 months - Someone with Browne's profile ( 4th year on the list, limited AFL games ) should have had LARS if there was no damage to other ligaments.

I think the medical profession is too cautious with ACL's - I remember Tony Liberatore come back after 16 weeks - It was his second reco - Many soccer players/basketball players are back within 6 months.

Browne is a long way behind schedule if he's started running after 6 months - Someone with Browne's profile ( 4th year on the list, limited AFL games ) should have had LARS if there was no damage to other ligaments.
Was Browne an options for LARS though? I thought I remember reading/hearing because of his age it wasn't an option?

Yeah but everyone forgot to throw the Winders factor into the Winderlich recovery.

Tony Liberatore also has pain every day of his life and will be crippled/require further surgery by the time he is 60. The care and time taken isnt just to let hte ligament heal it is to ensure that when you start introducing load back through the joint that it does not cause other issues such as swelling/tearing of the cartlidge and damage to other knee structures.
We can replace ligaments quite well however repairing cartlidge we suck at.

You mention "Someone with Browne's profile" like football is all that matters. im glad you see yourself as more knowledgable than all the AFL sports medical staff that would have been consulted. Its not just about getting Browne back to playing football (this silly game that people often confuse as being the most important thing in the world) its about making sure that he isnt crippled later in life, by having to keep having the LARS ligaments replaced. He is young that is why there is no rush to get him back.

Rush him back so he's ready for his month off in October?

He was never going to be back this season, so this way there's a much more stable recovery process, he's been overseas during the year and will be back training solidly right through to the start of pre-season.

Also Winderlich did all the rehab/worked hard to get back. Demps went away for six months. Winderlich had hamstring issues after

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #24: Alex Browne - Now at Northern Blues - Retired from footy - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back