Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but taking lower pay in the later years doesn't help with the problem of having players on the list who are no longer up to it in the final year/s of their contract. You have to rely on them to retire or accept a trade while they've still got a contract.
I accept that but it might have been a solution to a short term problem if his last contract was preventing other deals from getting done. He signed a 4 year deal in 2018 and it would have been the biggest of his career considering his form at the time.

I accept that but it might have been a solution to a short term problem if his last contract was preventing other deals from getting done. He signed a 4 year deal in 2018 and it would have been the biggest of his career considering his form at the time.

Yeah I get that there's a logic to it at the time. It obviously looks great to sign players for long periods when they're at the top of their game and financially you can see why it looks good to add an extra year to the contract on a lower salary at the back end to help with salary cap.

But, I'm generally against this strategy. Giving good/average players 4 years instead of 3, 3 years instead of 2 can come back to bite you. Players can fall away fast at the back end of their career and having them hang around for a year or two long hinders attempts to refresh the list.

Different matter with the biggest stars - if giving an Oliver or a Dusty or Buddy 8 years instead of 5/6 is the difference between them signing or not then you do it.

Yeah I get that there's a logic to it at the time. It obviously looks great to sign players for long periods when they're at the top of their game and financially you can see why it looks good to add an extra year to the contract on a lower salary at the back end to help with salary cap.

But, I'm generally against this strategy. Giving good/average players 4 years instead of 3, 3 years instead of 2 can come back to bite you. Players can fall away fast at the back end of their career and having them hang around for a year or two long hinders attempts to refresh the list.

Different matter with the biggest stars - if giving an Oliver or a Dusty or Buddy 8 years instead of 5/6 is the difference between them signing or not then you do it.
But you can't just look at a contract in isolation his last contract may have been preventing us from getting other deals done. If his last contract was back-ended it would have been even worse. So the conversation might have been as simple as take $1m over 4 years instead of $800k over 1 and that might have unlocked a bunch of other deals for us. To me that's a happier solution than losing a required player.

But you can't just look at a contract in isolation his last contract may have been preventing us from getting other deals done. If his last contract was back-ended it would have been even worse. So the conversation might have been as simple as take $1m over 4 years instead of $800k over 1 and that might have unlocked a bunch of other deals for us. To me that's a happier solution than losing a required player.

I understand the point you are making, but if (big IF IMO) we ever had Tom MacDonald scheduled to be paid $800k in a season then giving him a 4 year deal to smooth it out is just following one deal that is terribly reckless financially with another deal that is reckless in a different way.

He and Tomlinson will be fighting over an airfare for the Sydney game.

Either of those two will be our third tall defender this year, unless Goody goes all Goodwin on us and insists on playing a small defence when it’s proven we lose every game with just Lever and May as the only talls.

He and Tomlinson will be fighting over an airfare for the Sydney game.

Either of those two will be our third tall defender this year, unless Goody goes all Goodwin on us and insists on playing a small defence when it’s proven we lose every game with just Lever and May as the only talls.
When we had Hibberd, we could sometimes get away with just Lever and May. Even though Hibbo wasn't a tall by any stretch, he could at least compete hard against any size. Now Hibbo isn't an option, we have to have that second tall in defence alongside May, that allows Lever to play loose. The classic Hawthorn team under Clarko didn't deviate from their structure. Goody is all over the place. Tomlinson should probably get the nod over Tmac. then surround them with a few small to mid players who are great at ground balls. We struggle in that area defensively. So probably, McVee, Riv and Bowey. Not too worried about our defence. It's the F50 and some aspects of that midfield that we need to really tweak.

When we had Hibberd, we could sometimes get away with just Lever and May. Even though Hibbo wasn't a tall by any stretch, he could at least compete hard against any size. Now Hibbo isn't an option, we have to have that second tall in defence alongside May, that allows Lever to play loose. The classic Hawthorn team under Clarko didn't deviate from their structure. Goody is all over the place. Tomlinson should probably get the nod over Tmac. then surround them with a few small to mid players who are great at ground balls. We struggle in that area defensively. So probably, McVee, Riv and Bowey. Not too worried about our defence. It's the F50 and some aspects of that midfield that we need to really tweak.

I'm a fan of Howes and it's looking that they're going to try him in that Hibberd style role potentially. Has the height to do it, but still building up his body. He's very likely to play games early in the season.

That said, I prefer the 3 talls when we have the 1 'stay at home' type (Tomlinson, TMac) that allows May to read the play and go where he needs to as well as get further up the ground when kicking, and Lever to do what he does best. Will be interesting to see what Goody does there, but agree they need to settle it more.

I'd imagine Turner is the one vying with Tomlinson for the 3rd KPD role. T Mac is surely behind both.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like Disco a lot, but not sold on him as that type yet, still seem him as an interceptor; so more as Lever backup. He's got plenty of mongrel though, so never though.

I like Disco a lot, but not sold on him as that type yet, still seem him as an interceptor; so more as Lever backup. He's got plenty of mongrel though, so never though.
Yeah Disco is an intercept player more than a stay at home defender. Adams is the one who could play that deep in defence role down the track, but still looks a bit off it. Disco is a replacement for Lever really. That could change i guess depending on what they've been working on, but I don't see Disco playing on the likes of H.McKay or Larkey for instance. I like Disco, but not sure we have a spot for him.

I think statistically we generally won when tomlinson was in the side, Goodwin doesn't seem to like playing tomlinson. I guess he doesn't trust him enough. Yeah he can make the occasional bad error but if the combination works well then just stick to, perhaps tomlinson will game some confidence as well.
Tomlinson will have to play a lot more this year purely due to necessity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Disco is an intercept player more than a stay at home defender. Adams is the one who could play that deep in defence role down the track, but still looks a bit off it. Disco is a replacement for Lever really. That could change i guess depending on what they've been working on, but I don't see Disco playing on the likes of H.McKay or Larkey for instance. I like Disco, but not sure we have a spot for him.

They had Adams playing as a forward in the intraclub this week apparently. Worth a shot, he's gonna be a big boy eventually.

They had Adams playing as a forward in the intraclub this week apparently. Worth a shot, he's gonna be a big boy eventually.
Our key position stocks are paper thin really. Adams looks a good size. Good prospect. Started to get some traction towards the end of last season. I still think he and Jefferson are another year at Casey away from looking at a call up. Injuries could change that, and being that our tall stocks are pretty ****, if they show form at Casey, then who knows. They both still look a fair way off it.

Our key position stocks are paper thin really. Adams looks a good size. Good prospect. Started to get some traction towards the end of last season. I still think he and Jefferson are another year at Casey away from looking at a call up. Injuries could change that, and being that our tall stocks are pretty ****, if they show form at Casey, then who knows. They both still look a fair way off it.

Yep agree on that. I think both those young blokes have potential, but more hoping than expecting a debut for either this year.

We're likely going to be down up to 5 mature key position players next season, there's a lot of work to do this year to attract enough via trade and free agency to cover that.

Yep agree on that. I think both those young blokes have potential, but more hoping than expecting a debut for either this year.

We're likely going to be down up to 5 mature key position players next season, there's a lot of work to do this year to attract enough via trade and free agency to cover that.

Lot depends on if Petty requests another trade. We need a KPD regardless of what Petty does, but if he goes the forwardline is in trouble too. As much as everyone would hate it I wouldn’t be surprised if TMacs body holds up this year and he gets a one year extension.

Lot depends on if Petty requests another trade. We need a KPD regardless of what Petty does, but if he goes the forwardline is in trouble too. As much as everyone would hate it I wouldn’t be surprised if TMacs body holds up this year and he gets a one year extension.

If Petty stays and then any scenario out of: Tomlinson having a good year and deciding to stay, Schache exceeding expectations and earning an extension, or as you say; TMac having a miracle year physically happens then it's not as bad, but IMO I reckon at this stage it's more likely Petty requests a trade and all of Brown, TMac, Schache and Tomlinson either finish up or move on.

If Petty stays and then any scenario out of: Tomlinson having a good year and deciding to stay, Schache exceeding expectations and earning an extension, or as you say; TMac having a miracle year physically happens then it's not as bad, but IMO I reckon at this stage it's more likely Petty requests a trade and all of Brown, TMac, Schache and Tomlinson either finish up or move on.

Yeah I think that is the most likely scenario. Any move for a mature KPP would need to be halfway across the line now honestly, club would obviously know much better than we do in regards to Pettys intentions. If we can’t replace him wouldn’t be surprised if we make him play out his contract, Adelaide need to stump up something decent otherwise there is no incentive for us to move him before he leaves as a FA.

Yeah I think that is the most likely scenario. Any move for a mature KPP would need to be halfway across the line now honestly, club would obviously know much better than we do in regards to Pettys intentions. If we can’t replace him wouldn’t be surprised if we make him play out his contract, Adelaide need to stump up something decent otherwise there is no incentive for us to move him before he leaves as a FA.

Be shattered if Petty goes, just exactly what we need in the perfect age bracket. In saying that, I do think we need more top end talent from the draft, so if we can turn it into 1 or 2 top 10 picks somehow then it'll help us in the future.

Initially there were some good key forwards out of contract end of this year, but one by one they've been re-signed. King still looms large, but seems a long shot, Logan McDonald similar, then it starts to fall away a bit in terms of who could be available. Do we try and cut GWS' lunch and go for Himmelberg? Oscar Allen will be a "pre-agent" so do we go hard there?

Be shattered if Petty goes, just exactly what we need in the perfect age bracket. In saying that, I do think we need more top end talent from the draft, so if we can turn it into 1 or 2 top 10 picks somehow then it'll help us in the future.

Initially there were some good key forwards out of contract end of this year, but one by one they've been re-signed. King still looms large, but seems a long shot, Logan McDonald similar, then it starts to fall away a bit in terms of who could be available. Do we try and cut GWS' lunch and go for Himmelberg? Oscar Allen will be a "pre-agent" so do we go hard there?
Minimum 2 x Top 10 picks for Petty I'd say. Up to them to find them. He's contracted til '25

Yeah no chance. Unless we find a replacement I don’t see the trade happening at all honestly, Adelaide won’t pay overs and we won’t have any reason to trade him.

If he still wants to go end of this season then I think it gets done. These trades just tend to end up happening, and I reckon we've used our 'your contracted' card now. Reckon we have better bargaining power if it happens this year anyway.

If he still wants to go end of this season then I think it gets done. These trades just tend to end up happening, and I reckon we've used our 'your contracted' card now. Reckon we have better bargaining power if it happens this year anyway.
Will be a massive loss tbh. These types don't grow on trees. Solid defender who can man the gorilla types. Can go forward and kick bags. Still only 24. Coming into his prime. I agree we shouldn't be giving him away as we have no one who would replace him. I don't care if Crows want him end of next season. They'll be pushing for a premiership and what, we just gonna hand them a ready made big defender coming into his prime? Even with draft picks it's so hit and miss and the likelihood of grabbing another player as good is minimal. Unless we get a Fogarty or Thilthorpe in return, I wouldn't be doing a trade until his contract is up. Our tall stocks are paper thin as it is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back