Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

This man single handedly orchastrated multiple comebacks in games through sheer motivation and leadership of his own accord, in matches where everyone lost belief except for him.

He also held the fort down up front long enough for us in his final year so that we'd have some semblence of time to form a workable forward line.

Not only that, but always remained a true lover of the club. For that I'm sure we'll always be grateful. I can be sure when that elusive #17 comes, he can be one of the ones to look back on it as one that he nurtured the seeds for, and I'll be sure to remember him in that moment as well.

All the best Hooksy.

What a sad day to see Chook go. Absolute heart and soul of this club, bleeds red and black.
Wouldn't surprise me if he has a tattoo somewhere on his body saying REDANBLACK4EVA.

Can't underestimate what he gave during the dark days, to set us up for success in the future. Could have easily walked away but didn't, truly selfless. A true gentlemen.

Let's not remember him by his most recent performances, but the absolute gun intercept defender he was a few years ago.

Hope retirement treats you well Hooksy, go in peace knowing you have left the club in a better place.

Much thanks for the loyal service Hooker.
We may not have had the success on the field during your career, however your strength of character and passion sure helped the club through some very dark times.

All the best going forward.
I'll drink some of that Hooker shiraz in memory!

A big thank you to Cale for everything, particularly for hanging around in the darkest times & helping to set the tone for others to do the same.

It's the right call, but it's still a sad day.

"I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity the club has given me and I will leave the game at the end of the season knowing I left no stone unturned to give the club, my teammates and the fans everything I had," Hooker said.

"To have been part of something bigger than myself, something that is so important to so many people, has been such a privilege and an honour. Representing this jumper is something I will never take for granted.

"I love this football club and I just want to thank all my teammates, coaches, staff, volunteers and all the members and supporters who have been with me throughout this journey."

A truly great Essendon person. Thanks Chook.
Thought I was doing OK. Then I read this and began to choke up. Iā€™m not OK. This will take me a little while to regather myself. Thanks big fella for embracing the club in a way that all players who wear the red and black should - with the utmost pride and willingness to drive excellence.

Was as good as Scott Lucas as a swingman - Scotty was better forward, Cale better back. Amazing what he did with his career given some of the signs when he started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy will go down as one of the best ever to pull on the red and black - not just as a player but as a teammate, leader and person. His legacy will live on through the wisdom he has bestowed to the next generation. Whenever we see a one-grab clunk, a soaring mark across the pack, or the rise of the last man standing, resolute with ball in hand as his opponents lie broken below, we will cheer and remember our Chook and all he has done for the Essendon Football Club.

I was a bit of a knocker of his in the year prior to the club putting him up for trade. He seemed to turn a huge corner at that point and has just been an absolute star and loyal servant. We could not have asked for more as a clubman and he will be remembered as a champion to all of us.

šŸ¤˜šŸ» Love you Hooksey

The "Cale Hooker Hair Ruffle Best Clubman Award" goes to.....

I just want to say thanks, Chook.

You are a legend in the club and out. Best wishes to you for the years to come.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Ive just cracked a red wine and put ā€œwind beneath my wingsā€ on repeat. I plan to spend the next few hours watching Hookerā€™s highlights on youtube.

fu**in bloke is just every. where.

Taking grabs, busting packs, literally picking up opponents and throwing them out of the way, then kicking the winning goal.

Put the team on his back and just willed us over the line.

This hits hard, especially with the electricity of the crowd hitting fever pitch and the situation we find ourselves in with this stinking virus reshaping everything we do.

He did this quite a few times over his journey too. What a fantastic player he was. šŸ„ŗ

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Back