AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

We're playing 1 tall against WC. I was proposing we play 2. Not sure why you're including two medium defenders as talls in Laverde and Ridley.

Nobody in the AFL yet but he's been great at VFL level at it. I wanted to see him get an extended run at it to see if he can. If he can't, then hopefully someone like Reid will be able to play seniors not long after the bye.
People can have Laverde and Ridley as smalls if their definition suits 😮‍💨

I cant believe people honestly thought after the last 3 years when Laverde was fit he wouldnt be an automatic selection. He has been for 3 years under 2 different coaches. His 2021 was elite one on one.
Laverde has been playing mostly out of necessity, not because he's any good in the role. Ideally, one of Reid/Cox would've overtaken him by now if not for injuries.

2021 was a time ago. Yeah, he was pretty good in 2021, but he was below standard last year and hasn't been great this year. Name one area he excels as a key defender? As mentioned, he's literally one of the worst starting key defenders in the comp 1-on-1, and below average in pretty much any stat you can measure for a key defender.

Zerk-Thatcher was a spud until we gave him a run in the 1s to prove himself (albeit we didn't really have many options), and he did. Not saying Baldwin would've followed a similar trajectory, but it would've been nice to see him stay in the team for a few more weeks to see what he's got. He was stiff to get dropped so soon.

Last edited:
Laverde has been playing mostly out of necessity, not because he's any good in the role. Ideally, one of Reid/Cox would've overtaken him by now if not for injuries.

2021 was a time ago. Yeah, he was pretty good in 2021, but he was below standard last year and hasn't been great this year. Name one area he excels as a key defender? As mentioned, he's literally one of the worst starting key defenders in the comp 1-on-1, and below average in pretty much any stat you can measure for a key defender.

Zerk-Thatcher was a spud until we gave him a run in the 1s to prove himself (albeit we didn't really have many options), and he did. Not saying Baldwin would've followed a similar trajectory, but it would've been nice to see him stay in the team for a few more weeks to see what he's got. He was stiff to get dropped so soon.
He doesnt need to excel to be in our best 22 as a KPD

As ive said Tall Fwds were well down the first 6 weeks vs us, funny who was in the side compared to the last 4 and who wasnt

Hes our best KPD right now or atleast equal to Zerk, and were trying to win. Simple.

Zerk-Thatcher was a spud until we gave him a run in the 1s to prove himself
He was killing it in the seconds, where he had a huge run to build his game.
Much like I am sure Hayes will.

That's not what people are questioning and the fact you can't see that shows your ignorance.

Laverde has shown that he struggles as a proper key defender. He needs to play as a medium defender.

Play Baldwin and allow Lav to play as a medium.

Lav is shit as a medium defender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno….great rig but slightly weird head.

For some reason he always looks to me like he belongs in the 1930’s, playing against Jack Dyer.
_Baldwin1.jpg

Statistically, Laverde was literally one of the worst 1-on-1 key defenders in the comp last season, and his stats aren't much better this season. Baldwin's sample size is too small (only had 5 1-on-1s) to know for sure if he's better or worse 1-on-1. He's doing better for intercept marks, intercept possessions and defensive pressure acts, so there's that.

And he can kick. Laverde just continually butchers the ball to a shocking degree.

Kaine Baldwin

12 disposals, five marks, three tackles

Kaine is so solid, you can trust him and the players love running out with him. He shows great leadership in the VFL for such a young fella, defends well and tries to get used when we go forward. He’s been such a good player for us down back.

If we aren’t careful I reckon port would be sniffing around.
There is going to be a crunch for KPP spots come end of the year. We have Reid, Laverde, Cox, Ridley ahead of him currently and eventually Hayes as well you would think

If Stewart moves on I can see him sticking around, but it might be in his best interests to look elsewhere if a shot at a best 22 spot is offered to him.

I'd definitely keep him over Stewart. Stewart's never bloody fit and is nearing the end of his career.
Baldwin I think has potential both forward and back and actually played pretty decently down back at AFL level those couple of games. For mine he's AFL quality depth with potential to be a regular.
You wouldn't go over the top on his contract offers or anything and if he gets lured to another side then fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now I am at 60/40 that he can make it as a defender. In a very short time he is doing more in defense in the VFL than any other of the young defenders we have let go and for games played in defense he is ahead of what BZT was doing in the VFL early. Now he has the advantage of a couple of years in the system so he has the physical ability but he seems to understand the role really well and his use of the footy is good. Has the body strength to play on the tall forwards and the ability to just move them off the line at the right time. I know there are some who question his ability to play on a 200cm guy when he is 194cm but there are a lot of 194/195 defenders that do it and it is more about maneuvering the been poles off the line. The forwards he will struggle with will be the blokes with really good speed off the line.
He still has to keep improving to get to a consistent AFL level but his first 10 or games as a defender have been on a really good trajectory .

Think Michael Hurley

Right now I am at 60/40 that he can make it as a defender. In a very short time he is doing more in defense in the VFL than any other of the young defenders we have let go and for games played in defense he is ahead of what BZT was doing in the VFL early. Now he has the advantage of a couple of years in the system so he has the physical ability but he seems to understand the role really well and his use of the footy is good. Has the body strength to play on the tall forwards and the ability to just move them off the line at the right time. I know there are some who question his ability to play on a 200cm guy when he is 194cm but there are a lot of 194/195 defenders that do it and it is more about maneuvering the been poles off the line. The forwards he will struggle with will be the blokes with really good speed off the line.
He still has to keep improving to get to a consistent AFL level but his first 10 or games as a defender have been on a really good trajectory .
Is Scarletts height and his arms do look long proportionately. As you mention smart body positioning and is/will be a mountain to move that's why Joe shoved him in the back that night - any other defenders of ours gets rag dolled in that situation. Might struggle when quick forwards are in the open and getting fed low balls but almost all defenders do with the chopping the arms rule - want to see him sooner than later back in the seniors.

Well I hate to be cruel but Lav is the easiest answer.
After today i cannot see that happening

Lavs too much of a whipping boy atm

Zerk maybe, but his upside is there. His game today wasnt great and either was the weel before

Think Baldwin needs to bang the door down. The blues talls will be a huge test for us this week.

Id be playing Ridley on Charlie though

After today i cannot see that happening

Lavs too much of a whipping boy atm

Zerk maybe, but his upside is there. His game today wasnt great and either was the weel before
I can’t see it happening either this is why I brought it up. I think we have got better at holding the ball in our forward defensively line but once it gets out of there it’s a smooth transition for the opposing team to score!
What I liked about Balders is he pushed up to the wings not unlike a Mathew Lloyd or Matthew Richardson or even Nick Riewoldt. Who does that for us? Certainly not Laverde.
Also why do you think Gawn is so great? I can tell you it’s because he impacts both ends yes which is easy to see but more importantly it’s the clutch contested marks in the middle of the ground it’s what separates him from a good ruckman to one of the all time greats also he is a good tap ruckman.
Draper is superior in maybe athleticism and possibly forward craft at a stretch? In the air no! I like to see a role for Balders that supplements Drapers weaknesses as he has aerial prowess.
I am cynical like yourself though and I don’t think it’s going to happen.

I can’t see it happening either this is why I brought it up. I think we have got better at holding the ball in our forward defensively line but once it gets out of there it’s a smooth transition for the opposing team to score!
What I liked about Balders is he pushed up to the wings not unlike a Mathew Lloyd or Matthew Richardson or even Nick Riewoldt. Who does that for us? Certainly not Laverde.
Also why do you think Gawn is so great? I can tell you it’s because he impacts both ends yes which is easy to see but more importantly it’s the clutch contested marks in the middle of the ground it’s what separates him from a good ruckman to one of the all time greats also he is a good tap ruckman.
Draper is superior in maybe athleticism and possibly forward craft at a stretch? In the air no! I like to see a role for Balders that supplements Drapers weaknesses as he has aerial prowess.
I am cynical like yourself though and I don’t think it’s going to happen.
I think the aerial prowess will come from Reid and Cox

We already have Zerk and Ridley who we know are capable in that domain though

Not sure why your talking about Balders as a dwd pushing upto the wings. Its a whole different ball game as a defender

I think the aerial prowess will come from Reid and Cox

We already have Zerk and Ridley who we know are capable in that domain though

Not sure why your talking about Balders as a dwd pushing upto the wings. Its a whole different ball game as a defender
Did you watch the Richmond game when he pushed up the ground and took critical marks pretty much between back flank and wing and just plucked them like low hanging fruit from an apple tree
I don’t want Zerk and Ridley wandering that far out of the defensive zone. You see I want a reasonable structure back there and have Balders as the third tall defender pushing up the ground as an aerialist not so much as an attacking back flanker role such as red dog.

Edit: I’m not talking about Cox and Reid in the future. Baldwin is the bird in the hand the others are the birds in the tree.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back