AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

North rocking a pretty small side these days

And if you want him in, its hard to see Lav being dropped it would mean your probably supporting Cox on a wing

Unfortunately the player most obvious to make way for Cox down back is Heppell, allowing Baldwin to play in a KPP role and pushing Laverde to a medium sized player.

This would allow a backline group with Baldwin, BZT, Laverde, Kelly, Redman, McGrath / Hind and Cox all likely to play for 2-3 years together (with Ridley).

Unfortunately the player most obvious to make way for Cox down back is Heppell, allowing Baldwin to play in a KPP role and pushing Laverde to a medium sized player.

This would allow a backline group with Baldwin, BZT, Laverde, Kelly, Redman, McGrath / Hind and Cox all likely to play for 2-3 years together (with Ridley).
I dont think theyd be too keen to have all of Baldwin, Lav, Kelly and BZT in the same team

For me our back 7 should be
Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley
Redmam - Reid - N.Cox (Hind)

Laverde to replace Reid if injured/not ready

Really wanna see this guy in ASAP. Seems solid defensively and a significant upgrade on a lot of our 'key' defenders offensively. Add to that the he is by all reports just smashing the door down and I want to see that rewarded from a club culture perspective
Also apparently shown really good leadership in the VFL team.

I dont think theyd be too keen to have all of Baldwin, Lav, Kelly and BZT in the same team

For me our back 7 should be
Mcgrath - Mckay - Ridley
Redmam - Reid - N.Cox (Hind)

Laverde to replace Reid if injured/not ready

I'm not bothering to pencil in Reid at all until he gets some continuity and he's injured right now, Ridley is injured, and McKay isn't on our list right now.

So it's Baldwin / BZT / Weideman / Stewart / Laverde that could fill the key posts right now, with Laverde / Kelly / Cox available to fill an in-between role, and Redman / McGrath / Hind to play on the smalls.

Of that group I think Baldwin & BZT playing tall, Laverde & Kelly playing medium, two of Redman / McGrath / Hind playing small (I'd genuinely look at dropping McGrath given his recent form defensively and offensively isn't blowing me away) with Cox as your 7th.

Longer term you'd be unlikely to have Kelly, Laverde & Ridley all in the same side with Cox and two taller defenders (e.g. BZT / Baldwin / McKay) also playing, which is good from a selection pressure perspective.

I'm not bothering to pencil in Reid at all until he gets some continuity and he's injured right now, Ridley is injured, and McKay isn't on our list right now.

So it's Baldwin / BZT / Weideman / Stewart / Laverde that could fill the key posts right now, with Laverde / Kelly / Cox available to fill an in-between role, and Redman / McGrath / Hind to play on the smalls.

Of that group I think Baldwin & BZT playing tall, Laverde & Kelly playing medium, two of Redman / McGrath / Hind playing small (I'd genuinely look at dropping McGrath given his recent form defensively and offensively isn't blowing me away) with Cox as your 7th.

Longer term you'd be unlikely to have Kelly, Laverde & Ridley all in the same side with Cox and two taller defenders (e.g. BZT / Baldwin / McKay) also playing, which is good from a selection pressure perspective.
Im talking about next year

This year is far different

Id be fine playing whoever now even if the mix doesnt work. Seasons done.

Time to get games into Cox no matter what though and has to be backline

The reasons he doesnt get picked
1) Hes told the clubs hes off
2) Scott think there is no point playing Baldwin, Zerk, Lav, Kelly and Cox in the same backline in the future so why do it now
3) 2 of Zerk, Lav, Kelly, Heppell, Cox, Mcgrath, Redman, Hind have to play somewhere else which Scott doesnt really want to do

Last edited:

Kaine Baldwin

28 disposals, 12 marks

Kaine had a really balanced effort, 28 disposals for a key defender is quite amazing really. It’s all off the back of his defensive work, whether he’s cutting across to intercept, backing himself to start our attack, or getting in the right spots to beat his man. He’s playing excellent footy at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back