AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a low risk / high reward gamble. Didn't work out in the end but the cost was a couple of years on a rookie list. Caldwell was an example of taking a punt on an injury prone player that (so far) has worked out very well for us.
That’s fair I just don’t think you want to carry too many. More often than not they haven’t worked out.

That’s fair I just don’t think you want to carry too many. More often than not they haven’t worked out.
It’s what the rookie list is made for. High risk high reward players like Baldwin or Mosquito. The salary cap impact is negligible and if it comes off you score an absolute jet.

It’s what the rookie list is made for. High risk high reward players like Baldwin or Mosquito. The salary cap impact is negligible and if it comes off you score an absolute jet.
Imo if you have a few core players with injury problems you don’t want to top up with more injury prone players.

Shorter, thick, stocky KPD who kicks scud missiles?

Wave Hello GIF
Tayte Bears?

I wonder whether that navicular is a bit pesky. He was still walking around in a moon boot late in the season.
Think he had some sort of set back a few weeks after he started running so it must be pesky.

Probably the most regrettable delisting I can recall. I rate him so highly. Outstanding by foot, monster sticky hands. Genuine natural footballer. Strong as an ox.

I saw him as a true Hurley / Hooker mix.

I get the injury stuff but definitely hope he gets a shot elsewhere and his body holds up.
Totally agree. Kaine's destined to be a couldabeen champion in these parts for some time. He's one I would really like to see play again

DELISTED DON COULD YET BE RETAINED

Essendon may have delisted Kaine Baldwin last week but the defender may yet don the sash again.

The luckless defender is expected to train with the Bombers again this pre-season with the hope of being relisted, if he isn’t snapped up by a rival as a delisted free agent.

Baldwin played eight games across 2022 and 2023 but missed the entire 2024 season due to a navicular injury in his left foot.

He is hopeful of being back to full contract training in the first week of December, which would allow him to get virtually a full pre-season in.

Having been delisted, Baldwin becomes a free agent so could be signed by any club at any time over the off-season.

The intercept defender impressed track watchers over summer with his aerial work before he suffered the injury in February.

Baldwin was signed by the Bombers over the summer period in 2021 and averaged 3.3 intercept marks and 7.6 intercept possessions in 12 VFL appearances last year.

A similar intercepting defender, Jayden Laverde has drawn interest from rivals as he enters the final year of his contract.

The Bombers believe Laverde is a required player.

Essendon may have delisted Kaine Baldwin last week but the defender may yet don the sash again.

The luckless defender is expected to train with the Bombers again this pre-season with the hope of being relisted, if he isn’t snapped up by a rival as a delisted free agent.

Baldwin played eight games across 2022 and 2023 but missed the entire 2024 season due to a navicular injury in his left foot.

He is hopeful of being back to full contract training in the first week of December, which would allow him to get virtually a full pre-season in.

Having been delisted, Baldwin becomes a free agent so could be signed by any club at any time over the off-season.

The intercept defender impressed track watchers over summer with his aerial work before he suffered the injury in February.

Baldwin was signed by the Bombers over the summer period in 2021 and averaged 3.3 intercept marks and 7.6 intercept possessions in 12 VFL appearances last year.

A similar intercepting defender, Jayden Laverde has drawn interest from rivals as he enters the final year of his contract.

Love that Balders is being given a fair go. Putting him out there in a way for other recruiters to get a look at is awesome.

Not sure what kind of shit we're trying to spin by passing Laverde off as a 'required player' though. I laughed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude is a Terminator. Just when you think he's gone, he's back.

Not sure what his speed is like (worked on explosiveness last p/s) but has a motor and is old school broad shoulders and probably huge hands with the way he clunks. The mark he took with Tom Stewart right on his hammer at 1 minute clean as a whistle under that pressure - most of our guys double/triple grab under much less heat

Not sure what his speed is like (worked on explosiveness last p/s) but has a motor and is old school broad shoulders and probably huge hands with the way he clunks. The mark he took with Tom Stewart right on his hammer at 1 minute clean as a whistle under that pressure - most of our guys double/triple grab under much less heat

Strong dukes. We need those. If only.

the ball usage sans the first kick is what we need

the ball usage sans the first kick is what we need
Even the first kick the vision was good
Strong dukes. We need those. If only.
I suspect he has Loewe level hands. The only level above that is Dunstall level. There is no fumbling there despite intense pressure, clean one touch.

We could do with his tackling too - guys stay tackled - none of these pathetic half arsed efforts. I remember in an Anzac clash a Collingwood defender tried to break through him (they would have been use to doing that) and was turned into burger meat.

How ****ing unbelievable is it that he debuted in the same game as Nic Martin.

Wasn’t a bad debut either, showed a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back