AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlucky - you could see the footballer he could have been if not for injury.

Will make an absolute mess of State or local leagues but just not athletic enough anymore for AFL.

Seems like a great bloke. Well done to him, but another good list decision as a lot of injuries and bit short to persist with as a injury prone kpd.

As long as weideman goes as well now.

Like, proper silly, not Voss silly or even Mass silly.
Couldn't have said it better. Will be very nasty for us if he has a bit of luck health wise and I don't think he has a Hunter or Reid level body reliability level problem. Thought we could have at least rookied him.

Perhaps his foot is real bad although trust in our hierarchy to not burn elite talent is not the highest atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the reverse sunk cost fallacy at work here. We've held him on the list for x amount of time and he can't get his body right, so feel like we can't carry him any longer. Another club could easily take a chance on him staying healthy and offer him a rookie contract and would feel like a free hit.

In reality either scenario is exactly the same free hit, it just feels different for us given our 'sunk cost' of the last few years.

I'm with other posters on here - I'd rather we gave him another year than hold onto players that we can plainly see are just no good.

It's the reverse sunk cost fallacy at work here. We've held him on the list for x amount of time and he can't get his body right, so feel like we can't carry him any longer. Another club could easily take a chance on him staying healthy and offer him a rookie contract and would feel like a free hit.

In reality either scenario is exactly the same free hit, it just feels different for us given our 'sunk cost' of the last few years.

I'm with other posters on here - I'd rather we gave him another year than hold onto players that we can plainly see are just no good.
we are already holding on to reid though, can we afford to hold two young key position backmen that have barely got on park? And thats not taking into account ridley who has missed big chunks of game time last 2 years.

we are already holding on to reid though, can we afford to hold two young key position backmen that have barely got on park? And thats not taking into account ridley who has missed big chunks of game time last 2 years.
I'd like to think we could have given him another year on the rookie list. I can see why we've let him go, I just don't like it. Particularly if we're holding on to someone like Weid who we know is just never going to be AFL standard.

Tayte Pears.

Shorter, thick, stocky KPD who kicks scud missiles?

Wave Hello GIF

Gotta feel for Kaine, has all the attributes to be a very good defender and has all the skills we lack in the back 6.

I understand the decision in that we can't keep him on the list when he is constantly injured, but he is the type that another club will take a risk on and get the rewards because he hasn't been on their list injured for 3 years.

I also think he wasn't given much opportunity last year when he was dominating VFL and from the preseason watchers, he was quite dominant in match sim down back.

With Kaine’s delisting I hope this puts a stop to us drafting injured or injury prone players. Wish him the best of luck.
It was a low risk / high reward gamble. Didn't work out in the end but the cost was a couple of years on a rookie list. Caldwell was an example of taking a punt on an injury prone player that (so far) has worked out very well for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #26: Kaine Baldwin - Not offered a contract for 2025, thanks Kaine! 26/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back