Player Watch #26 Matt Coulthard

Remove this Banner Ad

He was left field even for a MSD, he’d played 3 senior games for Glenelg!!
Ok MSD can be short on talent, but there’s probably a lesson to be learnt from reaching to this degree.
Most VFL watchers will tell you this guy struggles to get decent numbers or have an impact at that level, he’s light years away from AFL level.

Ok MSD can be short on talent, but there’s probably a lesson to be learnt from reaching to this degree.
Most VFL watchers will tell you this guy struggles to get decent numbers or have an impact at that level, he’s light years away from AFL level.

Exactly, Charlie ...
'A 'reach'.
Have a relative playing in the SANFL. Was gobsmacked when we picked him as was most of the SANFL.

Exactly, Charlie ...
'A 'reach'.
Have a relative playing in the SANFL. Was gobsmacked when we picked him as was most of the SANFL.

I wonder how "most of the SANFL" felt when we took Mansell.

And how most observers viewed us taking Lefau, Young, Baker, Grimes etc.

The club found a skilled player who is a great runner in Coulthard, and took a chance on him in the mid season draft. You can see why that might happen in a post stand rule world. He doesn't appear to have worked out for us, but might be the type of player who could be useful in another team's system. Or probably he is just not quite good enough at other aspects of football, like contesting the ball.

I think when you are talking about mid-season draft, SSP, rookie draft, there are very few safe bets to be strong AFL players. You are taking the punt that whatever has caused these guys to be overlooked in one or more drafts will not stop them from being an effective AFL player. Mainly the worst thing you can do with these picks is to take the apparent "best" players from the feeder leagues.

The club found a skilled player who is a great runner in Coulthard, and took a chance on him in the mid season draft. You can see why that might happen in a post stand rule world. He doesn't appear to have worked out for us, but might be the type of player who could be useful in another team's system. Or probably he is just not quite good enough at other aspects of football, like contesting the ball.

I think when you are talking about mid-season draft, SSP, rookie draft, there are very few safe bets to be strong AFL players. You are taking the punt that whatever has caused these guys to be overlooked in one or more drafts will not stop them from being an effective AFL player. Mainly the worst thing you can do with these picks is to take the apparent "best" players from the feeder leagues.
Club thought this and that if they thought proper DE Ambrosio Durham would have been better. May looks really promising more promising than Mr Kozyosko who does f all. Bet we lose may just like the others. Sack all the losers and put it the whole VFL people to run the club minus our AFL listed players lol

One thing all those 5 have is competitiveness & ability to win contests.

Obviously you need more than that (skill, footy IQ etc) or you end up with a list of try-hard battlers, but I think without it you just aren't going to make it at AFL level and even VFL level is a bit of a battle.

Looking away from a MSD pick and at top picks like Toumpas & Dylan Stephens. Very skilled players, who were both weak in the contest.

One thing all those 5 have is competitiveness & ability to win contests.

Obviously you need more than that (skill, footy IQ etc) or you end up with a list of try-hard battlers, but I think without it you just aren't going to make it at AFL level and even VFL level is a bit of a battle.

Looking away from a MSD pick and at top picks like Toumpas & Dylan Stephens. Very skilled players, who were both weak in the contest.

I suppose by the time you get to the rookie draft, SSP, MSD there is always something apparently missing. Height, speed, endurance, core strength, skill, decision making, contest ability, competitiveness, discipline, focus, ability to read the play, ability to fit within a team structure, reaction time, or something will be missing, or you will almost always have been drafted in the National Draft.

In the ND obviously you are hoping to get sufficient players who have nearly the whole package, or their strengths are so strong they are compelling, to build the team around. In the mid-season draft you can probably play it safe and get someone who is likely to be about the 34th best player on your list, who won't embarrass himself in an AFL match, but won't win you anything. At a certain point you can only sensibly turn to players who could be found badly wanting at AFL level but there is a chance if they develop their game they can help you win things. Coulthard just looks to me like an example of this. I find it hard to criticise the club for reaching with pick 4 in a mid-season draft, these are hail mary picks by their very nature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club thought this and that if they thought proper DE Ambrosio Durham would have been better. May looks really promising more promising than Mr Kozyosko who does f all. Bet we lose may just like the others. Sack all the losers and put it the whole VFL people to run the club minus our AFL listed players lol
IIRC the club wanted Massimo, he was playing VFL for the Tigers but the Bombers swooped. Regardless Coulthard and Massimo were different drafts.

IIRC the club wanted Massimo, he was playing VFL for the Tigers but the Bombers swooped. Regardless Coulthard and Massimo were different drafts.
I know that just pointing out some that were in our hands and we didn't know what we had, Saab another and probably May this season.

Looking for a gem in the bush

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Matt Coulthard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back