Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part II] - will honor his contract and play on at NMFC in 2024, so says the reality TV manager

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems a lot of our players lack tanks. I find it bemusing that we have so many unfit players compared to most other sides.
Well given we've reached sustained low points not seen by any team since mid 90s Fitzroy, I think it's fair to say that someone/some people at the club let their training standards slip. Badly. Whatever was going on behind the scenes to contribute to that, I'm not sure, but it's clear we're still trying to recover from it

How in God's name is he unfit to the extent that it stands out at VFL level. I hope he's in an ok headspace but that really surprises me tbh
Because he's come from a long way back. Myself and others weren't lying when we said he was getting lapped in pre-season and getting beaten by part-time reserve rucks in time trials (Free).

It was always going to take a while to come back when you half arse your training. Ferball shot from the hip after a couple of VFL performances, expectations were too high and now we are here.

Waiting for my apology ferball . Souup will take one too.

Hopefully not far off because we desperately need him in the team. Anything over Lazzaro and Hall.

Yeah it's not the 1980s where you can park your injured or unfit star in the goal square unfortunately.

Yeah we play them in the midfield eg:Wardlaw, Phillips, Cunnington.

In all seriousness just play TT, I’m sick of watching guys that will never make it run around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah we play them in the midfield eg:Wardlaw, Phillips, Cunnington.

In all seriousness just play TT, I’m sick of watching guys that will never make it run around.

Wardlaw - that guy has given more defensive efforts in 2 games than Thomas has his whole career.

We've been playing talented lazy players for the last 3 years - longer. It's a big reason we've barely won a game - too unfit, too lazy to defend and run.

Ratten won't put up with that thankfully.

He did look fitter in other games I've watched in the VFL.

I'm on the fence with this.

I like the new weekly selections. Go hard in the VFL and you'll get a game regardless of projected talent. It feels like it's a change of culture from the Scotts days ...

Having said that, it's hard to watch Howe and Hall plodd around knowing they're not the future.

Wardlaw - that guy has given more defensive efforts in 2 games than Thomas has his whole career.

We've been playing talented lazy players for the last 3 years - longer. It's a big reason we've barely won a game - too unfit, too lazy to defend and run.

Ratten won't put up with that thankfully.

William, you indicated you wouldn’t play TT because he’s unfit. I said we play unfit players every week.

Wardlaw is very unfit, but I’m still playing him every week. Same as Phillips, has a long way to go with fitness but has been building very nicely in the ones.

TT might be unfit, but an unfit TT is miles ahead of some. I’m happy for him to build his fitness in the ones.

Playing on ball in the VFL today he did some classy Tarryn things but also stood around a lot at stoppages looking cooked. Reckon his fitness is a long way off AFL.
Sounds promising. I hope he can build his fitness and be right for the firsts post bye.

William, you indicated you wouldn’t play TT because he’s unfit. I said we play unfit players every week.

Wardlaw is very unfit, but I’m still playing him every week. Same as Phillips, has a long way to go with fitness but has been building very nicely in the ones.

TT might be unfit, but an unfit TT is miles ahead of some. I’m happy for him to build his fitness in the ones.
Wardlaw will develop his tank but has given many more high-end efforts than most of our players in his TOG. Wouldn't call him unfit. He doesn't coast around in the zone or around stoppages. He gives the type of manic effort we've been lacking for 3 years. 32 pressure acts in his first game - outstanding. He and the fitness staff have done a great job to get him to where he is now given his 2022 through hard work.

Phillips was back in the VFL this year for a stretch. They didn't just persist with him because he's talented. But he too worked hard over preseason but they held him back due to the glandular. He did everything that was asked of him and wanted to do more. He's getting there.

Thomas is 23, getting paid $750 with 4 or 5 preseasons under his belt - should be at peak fitness. He's barely done the minimum in that time. There's no excuse for his lack of fitness. Even when he's been away, he just didn't do nearly enough work. He could've and should've paid a PT to work with him 6 days a week.

Clarko Viney and Ratten are trying to change the lazy, selective effort, down hill skiiing culture that Brad Scott started when he kept playing his favourites despite their form and fitness. It's a big ship to turn around.

It means that a lack of effort over preseason and during the season is not rewarded. That's a big change because we've been rewarding a lack of effort to players for a long time.

Wardlaw will develop his tank but has given many more high-end efforts than most of our players in his TOG. Wouldn't call him unfit. He doesn't coast around in the zone or around stoppages. He gives the type of manic effort we've been lacking for 3 years. 32 pressure acts in his first game - outstanding. He and the fitness staff have done a great job to get him to where he is now given his 2022 through hard work.

Phillips was back in the VFL this year for a stretch. They didn't just persist with him because he's talented. But he too worked hard over preseason but they held him back due to the glandular. He did everything that was asked of him and wanted to do more. He's getting there.

Thomas is 23, getting paid $750 with 4 or 5 preseasons under his belt - should be at peak fitness. He's barely done the minimum in that time. There's no excuse for his lack of fitness. Even when he's been away, he just didn't do nearly enough work. He could've and should've paid a PT to work with him 6 days a week.

Clarko Viney and Ratten are trying to change the lazy, selective effort, down hill skiiing culture that Brad Scott started when he kept playing his favourites despite their form and fitness. It's a big ship to turn around.

It means that a lack of effort over preseason and during the season is not rewarded. That's a big change because we've been rewarding a lack of effort to players for a long time.
what makes you say he's unfit?

looked fine to me

has actually finished games better than he starts in all 4 weeks

William, I think you are just trying to argue for the sake of it.

Wardlaw and Phillips are both a long way from being at the required fitness level for AFL, but I'm ok with that and I'm still playing them every week. Are there reasons why they aren't at the required fitness level, 100% yes. Is their attitude and dedication great, it looks that way.

TT's attitude was spiraling out of control, the club sent him away and asked to work on himself, both mentally and physically. After a little bit of stop/start he was welcomed back because Todd/the club told us he had completed everything that was required of him.
His efforts in the VFL prior to this week have been acknowledged by our staff as being good, on the weekend he led tackles and clearances, so I assume his effort was ok again.

This is where we disagree, I'm happy to allow TT to continue to build through the AFL at the expense of players who aren't and never will be AFL standard.
He's ticked every box we've asked of him, so why would we continue to punish him.

It's time to play him.

And for the record I was in the camp to get rid of him, but we didn't and he's now ready to go.

what makes you say he's unfit?

looked fine to me

has actually finished games better than he starts in all 4 weeks

Thought he did very little at stoppages without the ball. Could be wrong - definitely trust this selection panel/Ratts to pick him when his effort without the ball is acceptable. That includes transition running, blocking and defensive efforts at stoppages.

The great thing about having Ratten in charge is that he's not trying to win any popularity contests. Neither was Clarko but unlike previous regimes, Ratten will sit there steely-eyed and tell Thomas - or any other player who should be at peak fitness after 5 plus years in the system - what's required of them until they deliver it.

And Ratten was part of arguably one of the best onball combinations to ever play the game - Williams, Bradley, Madden and himself. And he was AA twice. St Kilda's good form this year is in part a legacy of what Ratten did there. There's zero ego with Ratten and he's seen it all. He's the type of guy who sees through the guys who take short cuts.

Wardlaw and Phillips are both a long way from being at the required fitness level for AFL, but I'm ok with that and I'm still playing them every week. Are there reasons why they aren't at the required fitness level, 100% yes. Is their attitude and dedication great, it looks that way.

TT's attitude was spiraling out of control, the club sent him away and asked to work on himself, both mentally and physically. After a little bit of stop/start he was welcomed back because Todd/the club told us he had completed everything that was required of him.
His efforts in the VFL prior to this week have been acknowledged by our staff as being good, on the weekend he led tackles and clearances, so I assume his effort was ok again.

This is where we disagree, I'm happy to allow TT to continue to build through the AFL at the expense of players who aren't and never will be AFL standard.
He's ticked every box we've asked of him, so why would we continue to punish him.

It's time to play him.

And for the record I was in the camp to get rid of him, but we didn't and he's now ready to go.
Certainly not arguing for the sake of it. Like others, been lamenting our lazy senior player culture for a long time and hoping a coach/ coaches strong enough would come in and make the hard decisions to break it and rebuild it.

The reason our club has been so bad for so long is that coaches have taken popular, easy decisions - pandered to senior players who didn't work hard enough over preseason or throughout games.

Playing guys who take short cuts - no matter how talented - is the fastest way to building a toxic, lazy culture. That's what we've been doing for years and it's why we were mediocre for years and why we then became woeful. Poor training standards and poor preseason standards with no consequences. It doesn't happen at successful clubs.

That said, if Ratten and co decide to play him, confident that he's doing the unheralded but critical work - the transition running and efforts around stoppages. But it didn't look like it. Tackling someone standing next to you in the wet at a stoppage and winning clearances from handball receives is not that. Let's see if he gets selected.

It's time to play him.

I was in the same camp, but if he's available, should play.

The first half on Saturday was played in a swimming pool, hardly optimal conditions for a silky runner like TT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back