Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we say that but it's kind of bullshit. What if we're absolutely flush with ruckmen and best available is a ruckman? Position will always be a factor.

Well in the context of top draft picks, since 2018 there's been 3 ruckman taken inside of top 10 those being Jackson (pick 3), Darcy (pick 2) and Ethan Read (pick 9), too early to tell with Read but can more than justify using a top pick of either Jackson or Darcy, which both of those teams also already had two gun ruckman.

Miles off being our worst.
Cracked and tried hard when the ball was in his area. It’s when it’s not that’s the real problem

Miles off being the worst isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

Dow gets owned every single week by his direct opponent. It's embarassing. Usually 10-15 possessions vs 30+ and BOG to the guy who is just brushing him aside

If this guy wasn't delusional he'd realise its his 5th year, uncontracted, new coach, midfield decimated he can either rise to the occasion or keep going as is and amount to nothing and most likely be desisted. My brother was pretty scrawny/ wiry once. He split up with his Mrs hit the gym in time for summer and stacked on easy 6kgs of muscle in a couple of months whilst working 12 hour days at a manual job and having his kids 3 days a week.

How can a 23yo inside mid in his 5th year of professional footy look like he's never set foot in a gym in his life. In my U16's team I don't think there would've been anyone as puny as him. And it shows when he plays. Any wonder he can't kick over a jam tin either. Must be lazy I reckon.

Last edited:
Only 22 years old but has been in the system for 5 seasons, how long do you persist with him?

He hasn't shown much improvement from his first couple of games at AFL level.

Look at the stats in the seasons gone by compared to this season it's same same no improvement. he is below average in everything pretty much he is not an AFL player.

i see very little of Edwards in him. Edwards was incredible creative and could read the play 2 steps ahead, but was insanely slight for AFL level and that made him the liability as he couldn't compete 1on1. Edwards was never really considered a "inside mid", whereas Dow is meant to be one. I see very little in Dows & Shedda's game other than they are both skinny for AFL when they were in their early 20's

Sorry, I think people are getting confused. Edwards is an example of a slight build whose first 47 games were poo. I remember the times .. he was close to being delisted and most Tiger supporters wouldn’t have blinked an eye if he was. He showed occasional glimpses but overall was a very poor player in his early years.

So I’m making the point Dow should be preserved with. He is showing potential and has some great attributes which should benefit the team as he gains confidence. He’s highly unlikely to ever reach Edwards heights … but his first 22-games are far superior to those played by Edwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sorry, I think people are getting confused. Edwards is an example of a slight build whose first 47 games were poo. I remember the times .. he was close to being delisted and most Tiger supporters wouldn’t have blinked an eye if he was. He showed occasional glimpses but overall was a very poor player in his early years.
Edwards could play other positions where as Dow can only play midfield does not possese the speed or running ability of Shane either.

We cannot judge our lightest bodied midfielder when he doesn’t have any big bodies surrounding him. Dow can be complimentary to TT, Hopper and Prestia, but of course he can’t physically compete with huge bodies like Yeo, Kelly and even Reid.

It’d be like Adelaide having no Dawson or Crouch in their midfield and being surprised when Laird gets monstered by Cripps.

A midfield needs many moving parts and Dow will be one of ours and I believe a quality one … but he’s not going to be able to thrive when his ‘big bodied’ midfield help is Jack Graham.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We cannot judge our lightest bodied midfielder when he doesn’t have any big bodies surrounding him. Dow can be complimentary to TT, Hopper and Prestia, but of course he can’t physically compete with huge bodies like Yeo, Kelly and even Reid.
Even when we have had big bodies around him, Dow doesn't do any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this guy wasn't delusional he'd realise its his 5th year, uncontracted, new coach, midfield decimated he can either rise to the occasion or keep going as is and amount to nothing and most likely be desisted. My brother was pretty scrawny/ wiry once. He split up with his Mrs hit the gym in time for summer and stacked on easy 6kgs of muscle in a couple of months whilst working 12 hour days at a manual job and having his kids 3 days a week.

How can a 23yo inside mid in his 5th year of professional footy look like he's never set foot in a gym in his life. In my U16's team I don't think there would've been anyone as puny as him. And it shows when he plays. Any wonder he can't kick over a jam tin either. Must be lazy I reckon.
Doesn’t look like he’s been in a gym? wtf are you looking at? The bloke is shredded and clearly hits the gym hard. Sadly though he can’t seem to put on the required size which seems to be an issue at the Tigers for as long as I can remember.

Doesn’t look like he’s been in a gym? wtf are you looking at? The bloke is shredded and clearly hits the gym hard. Sadly though he can’t seem to put on the required size which seems to be an issue at the Tigers for as long as I can remember.

His profession is inside mid in AFL not lead Ballerino in the Bolshoi Ballet. Pigs arse he hits the weights hard cos he has the body of a wiry Irish Barista.. Less Pilates. More lifting and grunt. He's virtually identical to Menadue in dimensions. If like practically every other Tiger he's a part time chippy wanting to be a builder when his playing days are done here's an appropriate toolbelt for him, so he doesn't throw his back out.

1713128626200.png 1713129059067.png

His profession is inside mid in AFL not lead Ballerino in the Bolshoi Ballet. Pigs arse he hits the weights hard cos he has the body of a wiry Irish Barista.. Less Pilates. More lifting and grunt. He's virtually identical to Menadue in dimensions. If like practically every other Tiger he's a part time chippy wanting to be a builder when his playing days are done here's an appropriate toolbelt for him, so he doesn't throw his back out.

View attachment 1960080 View attachment 1960087
🤣 NAh

What's his main weapon?

Not an elite kick, not a defensive player, not big bodied, not quick, not an aerobic beast.

Doesn't appear to have a standout AFL quality.
His quick hands, but needs to compliment that with other features. Good inside hands with a weak body is not going to get you very far in this comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back