Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

He's below average or average in nearly every metric statistically when benchmarked against the other midfieldrs in the comp.

He has not had a good season, that's garbage.

You could find inside mids from every VFL side that would be able to do what Dow has done this season.
It's his first season where he has been given a good block of games( ie: all 14 games and one of only 3 who have ) , in past years he has been in for one game or two then out the next, he hasn't been that bad and will only improve IMO, some of you posters who expect the world need to temper your expectations especially since all of you have no damn idea of the role the coaches have set out for him to play.

It's his first season where he has been given a good block of games( ie: all 14 games and one of only 3 who have ) , in past years he has been in for one game or two then out the next, he hasn't been that bad and will only improve IMO, some of you posters who expect the world need to temper your expectations especially since all of you have no damn idea of the role the coaches have set out for him to play.
That's because he hasn't deserved games in previous seasons. He doesn't even dominate VFL like he should amd he's just lucky we've been decimated with injury this year.

That's because he hasn't deserved games in previous seasons. He doesn't even dominate VFL like he should amd he's just lucky we've been decimated with injury this year.
But he is getting games just like you all wanted our younger players to get at the beginning of the year and still people are not happy. What do you actually want him to do more than what he has.

Hopefully he plays out the rest of the games and gets a full year under his belt and benefits next year from having the rest of the midfield on the park for most of the season instead of sitting in the grandstand.

But he is getting games just like you all wanted our younger players to get at the beginning of the year and still people are not happy. What do you actually want him to do more than what he has.

Hopefully he plays out the rest of the games and gets a full year under his belt and benefits next year from having the rest of the midfield on the park for most of the season instead of sitting in the grandstand.
I only want young players with a future to get games, not a 5th year list clogger.

I only want young players with a future to get games, not a 5th year list clogger.
LOL, see your pre conceived expectations are affecting the way you view a player, seems to be a common theme on this board. Go read the coaches thread to see what i mean, full of belly laughs in there i shit you not.

He's got some nice attributes, as well as weaknesses. Prepared to give him another 20 games - I'll openly admit I had written off Rioli jnr last year and this year he's turned it around and looks like becoming a serious player. Mansell, Miller, Hugo are all players that after hitting that 30 or so game mark, have settled in and look like becoming decent players(well they are already tbh). Ross is another, so lets just give him a chance.

LOL, see your pre conceived expectations are affecting the way you view a player, seems to be a common theme on this board. Go read the coaches thread to see what i mean, full of belly laughs in there i shit you not.
Nah thats not right. I actualy pumped him up after his pre season and was keen so see him get a run, but once again he hasn't delivered and been a massive let down. 5 years is enough for a midfielder to show something more than a few good handballs a game.

if I was list manager ( yeah yeah I'm not)

I'd be scouring the VFL for a ready made mid with pace
we have Taranto , Hopper & Prestia , strong bodied , sure hands , ball getting ability but not considered quick
Dusty & Shai will have rotations thru the mids - i'd rate them as elusive
I think we need speed - breaking from stoppage , chase down tackles ...

my strategy would be draft one (project) and rookie a VFL player (thinking ready made)

not trashing Thompson but not filling our need

Nah thats not right. I actualy pumped him up after his pre season and was keen so see him get a run, but once again he hasn't delivered and been a massive let down. 5 years is enough for a midfielder to show something more than a few good handballs a game.
Hasn't delivered on what, your expectations or the clubs ?

Well consider he's rated in the bottom 5 performers in the league for the season I'd say he hasn't met anyones expectations. If he has met the clubs expectations, we're even worse off than I thought.
Then from the available list of players we had at our disposal, which young kid would you have put in his position who would've performed better considering you don't want 5th year list cloggers on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then from the available list of players we had at our disposal, which young kid would you have put in his position who would've performed better considering you don't want 5th year list cloggers on the park.
That's the problem, there is no one else. There has literally been no AFL listed midfiedlers in the VFL for months bar one or two games from McAuliffe, and he is already better than Dow has been at the level in the 4 years prior.

That's why he has been gifted a heap of games without putting up performances that deserve it. At least we should have 1 or 2 top 10 mids from the draft running around next season.

He's starting to show something. I'm watching for a breakout game in the back end of the season.

What would a "breakout" game for him look like I wonder? 23 touches (16 hb, 7kicks 4 ineffective) going at 55% DE 4 tackles (3 of them the opponent was either stationary or got in 1st and seagull pounced, the other dozen chances was easily brushed aside. 3 marks (all uncontested sideways chip passes). 0 goals 0 behinds (Because let's face it we'll see Kevin Bartlett kick another goal before Dow ever does). The sad thing is opponents who have a quiet game that we label duds invariably it's far superior than Dows best ever game. But people will make excuses for him like he's only a 5th year player, he's maybe hopefully gonna overcome his trauma of entering the weights room. He's finally over the glandular fever (never had it. It was Ben Lennon or Fawcett). He's had to carry the midfield on his own (he hasn't carried anything). His mediocrity is why so many want that bum from North Melbourne because he was also a 1st rounder so we can bring that potential out.

Meanwhile there's gems like Jai Newcomb, Kane Lambert, Barlow, Lipinski who were overlooked killing it in the lower levels. I'm shocked Dow has supporters when he's basically been consistent at serving up sub par slop in 14 games straight, can't run, can't kick, isn't strong, can't find the pill...... Bolton, Prestia, Taranto etc are all deficient in one area. Dow is deficient in all areas. But hey keep playing him in the guts and not Mcauliffe or any other kid like Sonsie, Banks, Brown, Campbell, Mansell who could only be an upgrade on Dow's dreadful output.

McAulliffe, Sonsie on ball where he should be, MRJ more time on ball, like to see Campbell go through there as well, even older blokes like Pickett & D. Rioli ...hell I'd even give Cumbo a crack....all better options than Dow...

If you can't see the benefit of playing a kid who actually has a future with us over a soft D grade list clogger there's probably not much to discuss.

You seem to have missed the point to which you found so funny in the first instance in it’s entirety.

The best outcome for McAuliffe is whatever is the best outcome for his player development. Not playing ahead of any particular player for the remaining games has absolutely zero to do with what is best for his development; regardless of whether one has more of a future than the other.

McAuliffe’s development has nothing to do with Dow.

I like what Dow brings. But he is your third up mid who has to be worked in around the genuine inside beasts. Right now he has been playing as one of those genuine inside guys.

If he could kick he'd be really good. His kicking is pretty bad, so he needs to be better than average in contests and with handball. Right now he does the occasional flash of brilliance. Having him work with a full on mature fit and in form midfield will be interesting. Can he actually fill that third in hole and provide the outlet ball to our outside player? If he can do that regularly and consistently then he is a valuable role player. If not then he has a limited career.
You're one of the most sensible posters on this forum Doc; but I respectfully disagree. Dow is useless!!

You seem to have missed the point to which you found so funny in the first instance in it’s entirety.

The best outcome for McAuliffe is whatever is the best outcome for his player development. Not playing ahead of any particular player for the remaining games has absolutely zero to do with what is best for his development; regardless of whether one has more of a future than the other.

McAuliffe’s development has nothing to do with Dow.
You must be the only person who doesn't believe pumping games into a kid doesn't fast track their development. That's okay, but I'll trust the coaches and other experts who often reference it.

Personally, I've played hockey since I was 10 and represented the country at senior men's world championship level plus for Victoria on many occasions and can tell you from my personal experience that unless the player is completely out of their depth (which McAuliffe clearly isnt), there is always high benefit playing the level above where possible. The experience is invaluable. As it was for me too.

You must be the only person who doesn't believe pumping games into a kid doesn't fast track their development. That's okay, but I'll trust the coaches and other experts who often reference it.

Personally, I've played hockey since I was 10 and represented the country at senior men's world championship level plus for Victoria on many occasions and can tell you from my personal experience that unless the player is completely out of their depth (which McAuliffe clearly isnt), there is always high benefit playing the level above where possible. The experience is invaluable. As it was for me too.
Ice, air or underwater?

Fifth worst performer in the whole AFL this year .... If he works hard and puts his mind to it I am sure he can top the list by seasons end 😜
Are we actually taking this seriously?

Because according to that De Goey is the worst player in the competition, worse than Richmond whipping boys in Dow Koschitzke Cumberland & Short to name a few.

Not the only one who thinks this at all. But yes my view is that ‘pumping games’ into young players for the sake of it has no bearing on how a player develops or when they’ll reach developmental maturity.

Look at all professional leagues across sport that have a second tier linked division. MLB, NBA not just AFL. Other those out-and-out generational stars, all use lower leagues to improve Player development. It gets them both game time; more than players would otherwise see in the first team. It also allows them to play a more influential role (e.g mid #1 v mid # 5 or 6).

I’ve also had experience at high levels of sport, being part of multiple senior programs coaching staffs at a professional level. The success in using lower levels in conjunction with the senior team saw player development become very efficient as players can play more but also work better on weaknesses and play roles that they could expect to play at the highest level in the future.

From RFCs own back yard, it wasn’t ’pumping games’ into the likes of HRS that has seen him become our best wing. It’s been exposure to the highest level with VFL time that’s gotten him where he is. Ditto MRJ.

Not the only one who thinks this at all. But yes my view is that ‘pumping games’ into young players for the sake of it has no bearing on how a player develops or when they’ll reach developmental maturity.

Look at all professional leagues across sport that have a second tier linked division. MLB, NBA not just AFL. Other those out-and-out generational stars, all use lower leagues to improve Player development. It gets them both game time; more than players would otherwise see in the first team. It also allows them to play a more influential role (e.g mid #1 v mid # 5 or 6).

I’ve also had experience at high levels of sport, being part of multiple senior programs coaching staffs at a professional level. The success in using lower levels in conjunction with the senior team saw player development become very efficient as players can play more but also work better on weaknesses and play roles that they could expect to play at the highest level in the future.

From RFCs own back yard, it wasn’t ’pumping games’ into the likes of HRS that has seen him become our best wing. It’s been exposure to the highest level with VFL time that’s gotten him where he is. Ditto MRJ.
Not when the benefit of playing the senior guy is negligible if at all, as it is when Dow plays ahead of Kane. As far as fitness goes, Dow still fades badly in every game he plays so it's not like that's a valid reason to hold Kane back.

That side step and laser left foot pass late against the Crows alone is better than anything Dow has produced at the level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back