Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t believe this many people care about Thompson Dow!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I believe this is the Bigfooty Thomson Dow thread. RFC player out of contract 2024. Just been dropped after 14 games while the club sits at 17th.

What'ya reckon Mrs Dow?

How about supporting our players, if they turn out not to make it so be it, some of the the criticism in this thread is disgraceful.
I will bastardise a quote from the late great Ayrton Senna.

...we are competing, we are competing to win. And the main motivation to all of us is to compete for victory, it's not to come 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

AFL is entertainment. The members derive entertainment from seeing their team win. If there is a person who is not able to contribute to that in any capacity then they are useless to the cause. This criticism is not against him as a person but it seems that he is not up to AFL standards as a player through his genetics. His frame can withstand second tier football but not AFL. That is ok.

But since he is on the list, he is open to the criticism as he is taking up a spot and salary cap that can be used elsewhere.

you lot are farrkkking pathetic.

Dow is no superstar, I can happily agree there, but since when did every player have to be a superstar? FM Dead, our 3 flags were filled with blokes who just played a role, because every team needs them.

He has been asked to nearly carry a midfield that has so far this season:

• TT missed how many games
  • Hopper, missed more than he's played
  • Dusty has looked sore or injured most of the year
  • Graham is going backwards at a rate of knots
  • Bolton, nearly the biggest disappointment for me, does all the flashy things, and is nearly the best in the comp when things are going welll, then goes absolutely missing when it gets tough for us
  • Prestia's body keeps letting him down

But we expect a bloke whos played a handful of games to be the numero uno mid... give it a rest!

And then worse, you all start with the name calling against one of OUR players!

He's not a star, no worries.
Is he going to be a star, prob not, but not every player will be.
And he might not make it, he may be delisted, sure, you may even be right there!

BUT the name calling is pathetic, given he's achieved more in his footy career than every single one of you.
Yet you carried on like a pork chop in the Miller thread. 😂 Strawman.
Do as I say and not as I do argument. 😝

Here is what you said about Miller:

The WTF was he doing in his first 4-5 years with then, twiddling his thumbs or playing with his d*ck?

Last edited:
Yet you carried on like a pork chop in the Miller thread. 😂 Strawman.
Do as I say and not as I do argument. 😝

Here is what you said about Miller:

The WTF was he doing in his first 4-5 years with then, twiddling his thumbs or playing with his d*ck?
hahahah thanks TI, I can always expect to to bring a rubbish comment to a discussion, even when it's not a good one!

I've already said I'm ok with people criticising players if they feel the criticism is worth it.
Heck, I've been really critical of the free pass I beleive Kmac has got for the last two years...
But I still didn't go out calling the names like an 8 year old child.

And the example you (tried too but failed really) used to try and show me calling someone names, still wasn't calling him names, it may have been critical, sure, but it wasn't me actually criticising Miller directly, it was in response to one of your comments, more than directed at him! See how it's a question I was asking you, rather than directly slagging the player...

Nice try, but try again

hahahah thanks TI, I can always expect to to bring a rubbish comment to a discussion, even when it's not a good one!

I've already said I'm ok with people criticising players if they feel the criticism is worth it.
Heck, I've been really critical of the free pass I beleive Kmac has got for the last two years...
But I still didn't go out calling the names like an 8 year old child.

And the example you (tried too but failed really) used to try and show me calling someone names, still wasn't calling him names, it may have been critical, sure, but it wasn't me actually criticising Miller directly, it was in response to one of your comments, more than directed at him! See how it's a question I was asking you, rather than directly slagging the player...

Nice try, but try again
lol you were caught out and own it. lol
If you are not happy with posts then report them to mods rather than playing forum policeman and leave it up to their discretion. Also using the childish line suggesting we shouldn't be able to make comments bc we haven't played the game really doesn't help your cause as this is a fan forum and not an Ex AFL/VFL Tiger player's one.
Move along and remain focussed to what the fans are commonly implying when they are critiquing a player rather than playing Superman and rubbing people the wrong way.

I will bastardise a quote from the late great Ayrton Senna.

AFL is entertainment. The members derive entertainment from seeing their team win. If there is a person who is not able to contribute to that in any capacity then they are useless to the cause. This criticism is not against him as a person but it seems that he is not up to AFL standards as a player through his genetics. His frame can withstand second tier football but not AFL. That is ok.

But since he is on the list, he is open to the criticism as he is taking up a spot and salary cap that can be used elsewhere.
All good except we only have limited info on what players are doing right or wrong at training etc. and how they are delivering on what's asked of them, we are not players nor racing car drivers we are "supporters".

I wish a number of our players were performing at a level they should be, that includes a fair few of our senior players but I don't see how supporters bagging them will improve the situation?

All good except we only have limited info on what players are doing right or wrong at training etc. and how they are delivering on what's asked of them, we are not players nor racing car drivers we are "supporters".

I wish a number of our players were performing at a level they should be, that includes a fair few of our senior players but I don't see how supporters bagging them will improve the situation?
What you are doing is called an "appeal to authority". I can make from the stands a very informed opinion that Dow making poor decisions with his disposal and poor execution of said disposal is hurting us as a team. Sure he may do things defensively but they don't appear to make up for the turnovers.

To you last point. Sure you can say you can't see how supporters bagging a player will remedy a situation and I will agree to a small degree. If supporters are messaging players personally; then firstly **** those people and secondly yeah that ain't helping. But being critical here on a forum? I disagree.

I will ask, however, if you don't think being critical on a forum would help, I would love to hear your rational as to why being positive on this forum would?

What you are doing is called an "appeal to authority". I can make from the stands a very informed opinion that Dow making poor decisions with his disposal and poor execution of said disposal is hurting us as a team. Sure he may do things defensively but they don't appear to make up for the turnovers.

To you last point. Sure you can say you can't see how supporters bagging a player will remedy a situation and I will agree to a small degree. If supporters are messaging players personally; then firstly **** those people and secondly yeah that ain't helping. But being critical here on a forum? I disagree.

I will ask, however, if you don't think being critical on a forum would help, I would love to hear your rational as to why being positive on this forum would?
There is constructive criticism which he deserves then there is some of the crap on here which IMO he doesn't.

Positive criticism is much better than negative, although I doubt either really work in this case as were just posting on a footy forum and if he's smart he isn't reading.

I just don't like the way some Richmond supporters eat their own, its been going on since I was a kid well before social media existed, its just not my thing.

There is constructive criticism which he deserves then there is some of the crap on here which IMO he doesn't.

Positive criticism is much better than negative, although I doubt either really work in this case as were just posting on a footy forum and if he's smart he isn't reading.

I just don't like the way some Richmond supporters eat their own, its been going on since I was a kid well before social media existed, its just not my thing.
Attacks on his character and body are only really warranted if he has done something wrong. Sure he may have noodle arms but that is as big as his genetics will allow him to get without sacrificing endurance. I mean he came back from his holidays in the preseason looking shredded in the arms.

To the second point about eating our own. There are many philosophical arguments that can be made but it is really all moot to the fact that Dow and all AFL players are merely entertainers. Large displays of sports and sporting competitions have been used to distract and control the masses. The players are just willing participants. To continue on, part of their huge salaries are due to limited spots at AFL level but the other part of it is the pay for having to deal with the scrutiny from the media and public (on forums but not in person or in DMs. Again **** those people who DM players horrible shit).

All you can ask is they go back and play well at the VFL and if he gets another season then hopefully he comes back 3-4kg's bigger to stop him getting pushed around. Then you will see if he is good enough.

He aint putting another 4kg on next year. He was born a twig, drafted a twig and will always be a twig. Not AFL standard and never will be. Good against the other twigs in the magoos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He aint putting another 4kg on next year. He was born a twig, drafted a twig and will always be a twig. Not AFL standard and never will be. Good against the other twigs in the magoos.
Most likely, but I doubt he will be delisted due to most likely a lot of retirements/trades and delistings. Our midfield depth is wafer thin as is evident this season. We will have a good draft hand but they won't be ready, so Dow is depth. I know if I was in his place, I would be pumping those weights to help address probably his major weakness.

Back to VFL as our only listed legit midfielder and can't manage a single coaches vote against the last team on the ladder in a 6 goal win.

In his 5th year, Dow should be near best on or at least in our best 2 or 3 players every single week in the Magoos. The fact that we have VFL listed mids that are far superior players than him says it all really.

List.Clogger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back