Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Remove this Banner Ad

1 more year on the rookie list make it happen brady

Haters gonna hate

I think that's a reasonable enough situation. He is not likely to play many senior games, if any, but surely in the VFL, given the experience we are losing this year, he will be a valuable asset working with our younger players as they develop.

If we go back to 2020, in my opinion the list was cut far to harshly and since then we have struggled without the older, harder bodies and minds around to help. With Jack, Cunners and Hall gone, Goldy in limbo and who knows what will happen with Hugh Greenwood and Liam Shiells, we again face a massive departure in terms of games played and experience.

Between them these 6 players have accumulated 1346 games of AFL experience, which is a huge amount of experience to lose. In my opinion we can't afford to lose any more experience this year.

Captain VFL side in 2024 if the club offer it to him as no other AFL club will take him so his choices are limited plus he owes us considering he should of been delisted 5 years ago .
Ah the old days remember when Turner started thought we would have a superstar here especially after his 1st 5 games he played but never developed.

I think that's a reasonable enough situation. He is not likely to play many senior games, if any, but surely in the VFL, given the experience we are losing this year, he will be a valuable asset working with our younger players as they develop.

If we go back to 2020, in my opinion the list was cut far to harshly and since then we have struggled without the older, harder bodies and minds around to help. With Jack, Cunners and Hall gone, Goldy in limbo and who knows what will happen with Hugh Greenwood and Liam Shiells, we again face a massive departure in terms of games played and experience.

Between them these 6 players have accumulated 1346 games of AFL experience, which is a huge amount of experience to lose. In my opinion we can't afford to lose any more experience this year.
So you mention Goldstein, Greenwood and Shiels.... 'who knows what will happen'... well all three should be retained before Turner. All offer more next season and all performed better this season. Those guys aren't leaving unless we force them out.

So you mention Goldstein, Greenwood and Shiels.... 'who knows what will happen'... well all three should be retained before Turner. All offer more next season and all performed better this season. Those guys aren't leaving unless we force them out.

I don't think I said any of those should not continue on. I simply said we "don't know what might happen" and if they do retire or get delisted, then we are losing a huge amount of experience on top of the retirees already announced.

This thread is about Kayne Turner.

I don't think I said any of those should not continue on. I simply said we "don't know what might happen" and if they do retire or get delisted, then we are losing a huge amount of experience on top of the retirees already announced.

This thread is about Kayne Turner.
My point was unless those guys willingly retire, his name should unquestionably be in the firing line before them.

He's earned himself one more year.
He was good yesterday. It doesn’t seem like enough, on balance, but I guess it will relate to a bunch of other decisions about the list.

He was good yesterday. It doesn’t seem like enough, on balance, but I guess it will relate to a bunch of other decisions about the list.
He’s still played 12 games this year, suggests he’s not yet redundant in the eyes of the match day committee. I think Edwards and Howe might be dropped from the rookie list before him, but we’ll see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t for the life of me figure out how he got a contract for 2023.

Anyone who seriously thinks he should get a contract for 2024 has been sniffing their chair for too long.

I sniff the chair occasionally and after reading the dire demographics of Ricks post this morning thinks that he stays

Captain VFL side in 2024 if the club offer it to him as no other AFL club will take him so his choices are limited plus he owes us considering he should of been delisted 5 years ago .
Ah the old days remember when Turner started thought we would have a superstar here especially after his 1st 5 games he played but never developed.

Never thought he'd be a superstar, I just didn't think that he'd be worse in his 9th year than in his 1st

Did some nice things yesterday. The infuriating, or encouraging, aspect, depending on how you want to look at it, is that he's clearly one of the most coachable players at the club. The knock-ons, the defensive pressure, that quick handball to someone or other streaming past inside 50. It's as if we've put a robot in front of Clarko and told Clarko to mold it as he saw fit. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets another year, but I'm really torn, because Kayne's worst is utterly excruciating, and we know that he's not good enough consistently enough for his worst to remain unseen throughout a season.

If he is kept, I would think he would play around 10-15 games, he may not get the possession numbers or kick the goals some people care about, but he gives 110% every game, gets in opponents faces (just ask Rowell) and does the 1%'ers better than anyone, and Clarko seem to like that. I would be shocked if he is delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back