Past #29: Brent Harvey - AFL / North Melbourne games record holder (432gms/518gls) - thanks Boomer

Remove this Banner Ad

If we picked up Boomer in the pre-season draft or whatever its called and signed him up as a rookie, it would be the greatest troll in the history of trolling ever.

Originally I was on the fence about the whole thing, but if Wells goes I really think we should keep him. Many sides (Melbourne, Saints) have ruined their youngsters by playing them repeatedly when they weren't ready.

People were potting Boomer and his family, all because of how the media wrote a few articles and interpreted a few sentences.

Boomer's speech shows the same love for a football club that we do. He has been thrown to the curb and it's alright to be sad and disappointed, but the way a few here have turned on him and his family is shameful.

21 years of greatness. I've said a few times, I do not know Boomer without North and the fact that my love for this club was born and developed throughout his whole playing career is something that I will never forget. He will be my favourite North player for life for those reasons. I can't see another player bring me so much joy for so long.

I was so numb the night he played his last game in Adelaide. I stood at the race as he walked off without feeling an emotion, I'd lost my own preliminary final earlier that day in devastating circumstances so I think I had just lost sight of what was actually going on. Tears rolled down my face watching that speech, it was the true realisation that my childhood hero is finished, but he leaves as a legend of the club I love forever.

Interestingly as the pressure of the game has increased over the last few years Boomers pressure has dropped off. Only Ryan Clarke averaged less one percenters per game than Boomer this year.

Been a champion and i love the bloke but that juat ain't on for a leader.

Now Wells has gone the call to reinstate Boomer has started! Is it possible would be the biggest backflip in the history of the AFL.

Those calls are being made by morons in the media who clearly have no idea about our club or list. Exhibit A: we need to draft more talls because Firrito is gone and Waite doesn't have much longer :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/48ecd6ff19cf56e5997575ca55388057

North Melbourne wants to retain Brent Harvey in an off-field role
48ecd6ff19cf56e5997575ca55388057

JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
48ecd6ff19cf56e5997575ca55388057

NORTH Melbourne wants to retain retired champion Brent Harvey in an off-field role.

The Kangaroos are in discussions with the 38-year-old about fulfilling an ambassadorial position for next season while he plays local football with his brother, Shane, at North Heidelberg.

The job would see Harvey help with key events, sponsors and coterie groups as the Roos prepare to field a more youthful side next season as the start of a new era.

“We have had some discussions with the Kangaroos and I think that is what he will do next year, some work with them,” manager Shane Casley said.

The Kangas want to maintain strong ties with Harvey after his tumultuous retirement this year.

After a record 432 matches, Harvey has expressed a strong interest in moving into an AFL club fitness or coaching role.

Harvey said he wanted to stay in football, but would spend more time with his family next year.

“I don’t think assistant coaching right now. Will that change in two or three years? Maybe, because I love my footy. Can I do it? Absolutely,” Harvey told the Herald Sun.

“I love working with the young guys and teaching some of the stuff that I know.

“I think whatever I do I’ll be working with the younger guys.”

Attended a lunch on Sunday before the game as a farewell to Boomer. As usual he spoke very professionally and was very generous with his time. He mentioned a couple of interesting things:

- He said he occasionally sees Carey in the commentary box when Boomer does comments for ABC and Carey does Triple M, they exchange a thumbs up but that's about it
- Said he couldn't imagine playing on in 2017 in another teams jumper, thoughts on Drewy were something like 'What are you doing big fella'
- Talked about the stigma that he is cheap estimated that by staying at North he probably cost himself $2.4 million over his career

Attended a lunch on Sunday before the game as a farewell to Boomer. As usual he spoke very professionally and was very generous with his time. He mentioned a couple of interesting things:

- He said he occasionally sees Carey in the commentary box when Boomer does comments for ABC and Carey does Triple M, they exchange a thumbs up but that's about it
- Said he couldn't imagine playing on in 2017 in another teams jumper, thoughts on Drewy were something like 'What are you doing big fella'
- Talked about the stigma that he is cheap estimated that by staying at North he probably cost himself $2.4 million over his career

Trust Boomer to know how much it cost him, though.

Sad.

Still seems weird that Dal Santo retired and yet Petrie played on.

Like Boomers candidness even though I'm not his biggest fan personality wise. Would be better than 9/10ths of the flogs in the media currently (haven't heard him commentate).

I reckon his refusal to do team things sealed his fate.

If he was prepared to run hard both ways, tackle etc, he might have earned another year or two.

His offensive game is still very dangerous, he'll kick heaps of goals at that level.

Last edited:
Holding up spot on the list. Age was only relevant that he is at the end of his career rather than the start and need to get games into the upcoming generation. Playing him serves no purpose other than keeping fans happy in the 'short term'. I think the club probably also played him longer than they may of to get the games record.

Guy finished playing great football and I am glad I saw that; than him playing out a season struggling and looking like a silly old man.

(and yes its been done to death hah)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back