Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

From my review there has never been a pick 10 or 11 in the past 10 years who is as talented as Bolton. 10 and 11 for Bolton is an amazing deal for Freo.
Otherwise we keep him. In 3 years time we will be pushing for finals again and he will still be a gun.
Freo have zero hand. Therefore they have to make the deal compelling. Until then, Blair should not waste his time talking to Freo.
We got Bolton at pick 29

Agreed, post was in response to saying that 'there's never been a pick 10 or 11 over the last 10 years who's as talented as Bolton'
It is those specific picks I am referring to. The probability that either pick 10 or 11 is as good or better than Shai is exceedingly small. He has a 4 year contract.
If he leaves at the end of his contract as a free agent we would have to get band 1 compensation.
Blair will know all this. Freo is just wasting everyone’s time if they don’t at least offer 10 and 11.
They have zero leverage and yet they strut around in the media like they do. All media numpties want is action to talk about hence they blather on that 10/18 is a more than fair deal. Blair probably has more disdain for their opinions than what we do.

From my review there has never been a pick 10 or 11 in the past 10 years who is as talented as Bolton.
So what you're saying is it's statistically due to come in?

Last edited:
It is those specific picks I am referring to. The probability that either pick 10 or 11 is as good or better than Shai is exceedingly small. He has a 4 year contract.
If he leaves at the end of his contract as a free agent we would have to get band 1 compensation.
Blair will know all this. Freo is just wasting everyone’s time if they don’t at least offer 10 and 11.
They have zero leverage and yet they strut around in the media like they do. All media numpties want is action to talk about hence they blather on that 10/18 is a more than fair deal. Blair probably has more disdain for their opinions than what we do.
Prefer to keep if we don't get pick 2 plus overs.
That's what we would get if uncontracted, being that he is contracted for many years, they will have to offer better or they can **** off.
Happy to keep.

Butters pick 12

I'd love to see Richmond panic and try and renegotiate and/or tell his family they can't go back to WA.
I mean these types of conversations are easy.

"Hey Shai, know that large multi-contract you pushed for and we accepted? Yeah we are going to hold you to that. Hope the holidays are going well and we will see you first day if preseason. Thanks mate."

"Hey Shai, know that large multi-contract you pushed for and we accepted? Yeah we are going to hold you to that. Hope the holidays are going well and we will see you first day if preseason. Thanks mate."

Yep and this is why sometimes when some circumstances arise (such as this one) having large contracts can be dicey for the club but also for the player.

He (Bolton) wanted a long term deal and Richmond accommodated for it.

Yep and this is why sometimes when some circumstances arise (such as this one) having large contracts can be dicey for the club but also for the player.

He (Bolton) wanted a long term deal and Richmond accommodated for it.
I mean, in some ways, if he has a sook he is exhibit A if we make him play VFL for the year. Would be a great signal of intent by Yze that reputation and pay packet mean nothing.

If the situation gets worse then we can really destroy his confidence by selling him for a late 4th round pick next year and tell the media "We think this was a fair reflection of his value as a footballer for the Richmond Football club."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flaws with probability and picks is THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION TO BUILD A PREMIERSHIP LIST than having a large number of picks or some other mechanism through father son to run the probability matrix. OR you simply just hold onto players who are peaking too early or retired or on decline when you are contending. THUS when you are already last on the ladder, you trade the currency you can.

Anyway, it's all going to happen as per my intelligence shared from club connections well before any of this was announced, and the great SG oracle will provide us with the plunder and bounty we all desire. Make no mistake, the Club is also going to max out Balta next year in the shit draft, and have the competitions largest salary cap availability in the 2026 draft which is the last one before Tassie to absolutely buy every draft pick imaginable. Take that chess move to the bank.

Samson En Gert Wow GIF by vrt
Yeah thats right. 6-7 years of elite picks in 3 years.

All good mate, didn't mean to wind you up.

Of course the likelihood of getting a player as good as Bolton with 10 or 11 are slim, what it does do is give us collateral to trade up to pick 2 or 3 where the chances are much higher.
Bigfooty is the Trade Radio of football intellect.

"Hey Richmond, sorry had to permanently return home to Perth for family reasons. Will be staying here for the foreseeable future. Not trading me when asked has caused a lot of mental health issues. Will be still claiming full pay and taking mental health leave to be with my family until I'm traded. You can thank the Player's Association for that. Hope you understand. Thanks Champ."

"Hey Richmond, sorry had to permanently return home to Perth for family reasons. Will be staying here for the foreseeable future. Not trading me when asked has caused a lot of mental health issues. Will be still claiming full pay and taking mental health leave to be with my family until I'm traded. You can thank the Player's Association for that. Hope you understand. Thanks Champ."
"No problem. Just remember that you are unable to play any forms of Australian Rules football for the next four years. When you want to come back you can."

"No problem. Just remember that you are unable to play any forms of Australian Rules football for the next four years. When you want to come back you can."
"Lol. You'll pay me for 4 years not to play for you instead of taking slightly less than the overs you want? I doubt it. Both my management and the AFLPA will be contacting you shortly. All correspondence is now to go through them. Don't contact me again."

"You don't have that much sick leave champ"

"Lol. You'll pay me for 4 years not to play for you instead of taking slightly less than the overs you want? I doubt it. Both my management and the AFLPA will be contacting you shortly. All correspondence is now to go through them. Don't contact me again."
OK so rip up the contract system, rip up FA too, as it has no meaning without reference to the contract system.

Freo has players it has contracted too, because it wants to keep them...I really don't understand how you don't see - you would just undermine your own club by white-anting contracted players.

You see, there is a contract that is legally enforceable. This is what happened with Cam McCarthy and your mob. Unfortunately for Shai and Freo, our contract is legally binding and it is not going to be something the AFL wants to open up to the courts.

We hold all the cards here. We can set fire to the situation if we want and hold him to his 4 years in the VFL if we want. The AFLPA can moan all they want but the most they can do is talk in the court room.

It's not fair to just refer to those specific picks. The question is how many players of Bolton's talent have been available to pick up at 10 or 11 over the past decade.

It is arbitrary to constrain your analysis to who was selected at the pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - Traded for picks 10,11&18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back